Look what just came through the Letterbox! (2)

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:38 pm

This morning i received another lovely little gem through my letterbox. It was a later edition of F.F.T.C. In actual fact it was edition number 73 from autumn 2010 as pictured here..

Ordinarily, these later editions, i've found carry nowhere near as much interest to me than some of the early editions. The reasons for this i've found, is that by the time Derek had sadly passed away, releases of top titles became more and more sporadic and therefore there really didn't feel as though there was much to talk about in some of these.

Anyhow, to my complete delight and amazement, this one turned out to be right up my street!

It begins with an advertisement for the up and coming Blackpool convention in November 2010 as illustrated here..

then on the contents page, my eyes simply lit up as you can imagine when I discovered there was a two page article by John clancy,starting on page 12 , describing the whole subject of the Derann Disney Deal!

The first page interestingly talks about how the deal was formed by Derek and even more interestingly, points out the fact that this deal couldn't have been agreed to or secured and would never had come about, but for the timing of VHS dare I say digital technology!
Without the lucrative sums generated by Disney deciding to release their films onto the then popular VHS format, there is no way Derek would have ever been given permission to release these on Super 8mm or indeed any other film gauge.

The second page goes on to tell of other Disney short titles that were able to be released by Derek from the Disney vaults. Titles such as "Who Killed Cock Robin" (which I am fortunate to have a superb copy of), as well as others such as "Elmer Elephant" and "Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom" etc etc.

The article written by John also goes on to tell of the negotiating and compromise required by Derek to ensure that both parties were satisfied with the titles that were allowed for release by Disney to Derann.
Derek wanted correctly, to primarily satisfy his audience by giving them the traditional titles most sought after by collectors. Titles such as Snow White, Lady & The Tramp, 101 Dalmatians and Jungle Book to name just a few.
Disney, on the other hand, couldn't particularly understand this and insisted that if Derann were to get their wishes granted regarding these type of titles, then they would also have to release some of the newer "showcase" Disney spectaculars like "Beauty & The Beast" and "The Lion King" etc etc.
While this may have sat nervously with Derek to begin with, I am certain judging by collectors views from the results, it is a decision he must have thought afterwards was better made as a compromise, I'd say!

it also goes on to speak of the huge success of lesser know Disney features by popularity, by simply releasing these to a more appreciative FILM LOVING audience on Super 8mm,it lists "The Rescuers Down Under" as one very good example of this.

finally, in this article, there is a complete list of all 25 feature length Disney releases that were able to make the small guage from Derann.
Also a note regarding probably THE greatest catalogue they ever issued, the infamous catalogue from 1992 with "Mermaid" featured on the cover at the very outset of the deal.

It was also interesting reading the usual BFG section featuring words from our very own Barry Attwood as well pleasingly seeing many of the contributors to this fine magazine still contributing on the forums and Facebook pages to this very day besides just Barry.

Names included , Adrian Simmonds, Ged Jones, Barry Attwood, Tom Photiou, Luigi Petrin, John Clancy, John Campbell, Keith Wilton and my good friend Keith Ashfield!

Finally to conclude this edition, the best article of all from my point of view, I've saved until last. It was an article submitted by our very own Tom Photiou from an item initially written by an Italian technical electronics wizard known as Luigi Petrin.

At the time, Luigi had successfully repaired many different machines but had never been given a Beaulieu to repair. That was ...until now.
In this article Luigi receives two Beaulieu Stereo projectors both with problems relating to their drive mechanisms and in particular the electronics needed to both drive the two motors fitted to these as well synchronizing the two to run in perfect tandem with one another.

As this is a topic completely related to the earlier article I wrote on here regarding the benefits of this unique Capstan driven system on these for the very best attainable results in Wow & Flutter on the Super 8mm format, i will talk more of Luigi's findings there but suffice to say, it was both interesting and extremely enlightening to me to say the least!

For those here and our large guest compliment here, I will post on my original section regarding the capstan drive mechanism on these highlighting the key issues and discoveries observed here by Luigi.

Hopefully other owners will find this very interesting in the manner I do, as well as others who are interested in the technical aspect of our hobby!

Thanks again Luigi for writing about your findings and thanks also to our very own Tom on here for submitting the article to Derann. 5 years on these articles still provide extremely valuable information as indeed the entire magazine does!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:42 am | Top

RE: Look what just came through the Letterbox! (2)

#2 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Well done on your acquisition Andrew, but just look at the state of the hobby in the space of five years, the mag you're holding
has ceased, so has its mother company, many of the stalwarts of this hobby have gone, in a short space of time much has happened.
No doubt in another five years there will be a lot more bad news for film, just to keep it cheerful.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Very true Hugh, but just to keep it cheerful and look on the positive side of things, we are still here , much of the film is still out there and while ever people like Luigi and myself and many many others, post articles on the technical aspects of the hobby, and keep them alive, there is a very good chance the machines themselves will stay alive also for many years to come!

Incidentally, I paid over double what this magazine cost when new, but to someone like myself, it is money very well spent indeed given the invaluable information inside these. Particularly with this one, so many thanks again Tom & Luigi!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:08 pm | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:09 pm

The machines won't quite function now as they did 5 years ago. I still have my individual test that came with my Eumig in 1975, tested today it would show a different graph.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:12 pm

They can though Robert with time,dedication and course, money thrown their way.Dependant on model and spares availability etc of course.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:13 pm | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:17 pm

And if your not technical, and don't have money to throw at them.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Send it to someone who is Robert. Lots of people in this hobby don't charge the earth for their time and efforts Robert. i would include Bill Parsons and Kevin Brown among those.

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:26 pm

I had my projector serviced by Kevin Brown for £200, but as I am not working, I don't have an endless supply of money to throw about. I find it impossible to save from a company pension, what with council tax, water, electricity, home insurance, TV licence.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:03 pm

I understand Robert. May I ask what was wrong with your projector previously? That does seem to be an expensive repair and service you had there!

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Yes, it was for a new worm gear.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I am guessing these are expensive to find or buy and difficult to fit then Robert.
Having had no involvement with 16mm equipment, i honestly don't know what is involved Robert, but £200 in labour alone on any Super 8mm machine is hard to generate I'd say from my experiences with these things.

Most Super 8 projector repairs, I tend to carry out myself. Occasionally, for in depth electronic issues,where test equipment beyond what i have is needed, I have used the experts. None have charged me this much so far.

Any purely electro / mechanical repair, I will always carry out myself on them. This way they are carried out in the manner I know and like, i have the knowledge of the service history by doing much of it myself and you gain far more expertise by actually doing these things than by reading any amount of literature on these matters.

High end 8mm machines can have very complex electronics, not so much the case for 16mm from what I've seen.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm | Top

#12 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 pm

That's commendable Andrew and I doff my cap to anyone that has knowledge of electronics etc, as for myself, no, I have done
improvements to bad transport design, but any other repairs I wouldn't touch, folk like Bill Parson's are the people that sort out
problems of that ilk. The bills of late that get me are the ones from vets, those buggers have a terrific sense of humour, for a
course of tablets for one dog, I thought he'd put her on crack cocaine!

Hugh Thompson Scott

#13 by Clyde Miles , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:04 pm

problem with the bell and howell is not the actual changing of the worm wheel, but the labour involved in getting to it. ive done three of my own own and it takes about four hours each machine.

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Andrew, the cost of a worm is about £29, it's all the work involved, as Clyde says; you have to take half the machine apart to get to it.

Clyde Miles likes this
Robert Crewdson

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:29 am

£200 even for 4 hours labour seems steep to me though Robert. Shame you couldn't have passed it onto someone who is enthusiast like Clive.
Surely someone would have done this work for less as a labour of love for someone in your position?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:32 am | Top

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:50 am

I think Robert had a full service of his machine as well, so a couple of hundred isn't a great deal for someones time and effort
plus the peace of mind of knowing your machine is tickety boo, I know it gives me comfiort because anything electronic defeats me, as
for engineering probs, those too, my tool kit doesn't stretch to fancy jigs and sonic screwdrivers etc, best leave it to the experts is my motto.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:51 am | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm

It actually took 2 or 3 days, as he replaced one of the valves, soldered a dry joint, adjusted the loop restorer, and there was a problem with the rewind button not engaging properly. Once I got it back I knew it would give me years of service. The first thing I noticed was how quiet the machine was. Before sending it, Kevin ran a feature through it.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Exactly Robert, you are paying not only for repair and parts but someones skills and knowledge plus their time. I am in awe of other
peoples skills with electronics and mechanical stuff, not my game at all.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#19 by Dave Alligan , Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:31 pm

£50 per hour is not steep in todays money, when I worked for a very large motor factors in the early 1990's the hourly labour rate then was £35 per hour.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#20 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:46 pm

I was also paying for peace of mind; it came back as good as the day it left the factory. It's quieter than my Super 8 projector. It was worth the money.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:06 pm | Top

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:02 pm

That is so true Robert, when last sent in for repair, Bill Parson's returned a machine with a new lease of life, the sound on it was good,
now it is so loud, it has to be on number 2 on the dial, the power is brilliant, plus as you rightly say, peace of mind, Fumeo are a professional super 8 projector, so with that in mind plus Bills talents equals longevity.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 pm

I immediately phoned Kevin to tell him how pleased I was with it. When I first plugged it in I couldn't hear it hum and thought it wasn't working, and it was so quiet when running. We are very fortunate to have these two people to keep these machines running.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Balance stripe on 8mm.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor