RE: Balance stripe on 8mm.

#26 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:34 pm

There was a print of One Million Years BC on eBay, the stripe was flaking off on that one, so it was selling as silent, who would buy it, as you could not re-record the track, it was around £100, I think it sold.

Steve Carter

#27 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:57 pm

It would have been possible to restripe it Steve and do a rerecord.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#28 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:21 pm

If I had what I think was called a Cut a Rut stripe remover, and a striping machine, can you even get the adhesive for these now?.

Steve Carter

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 pm

You can indeed Steve. Mainly from places like Wittners though Classic may still have some.

It has to be remembered, that striping in the home can really only successfully be done on Acetate stock. The adhesive does not stick to protester film stock and few places (if any) can now provide a balance stripe successfully pasted to polyester stock.

Andrew Woodcock

#30 by Paul Browning , Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:01 pm

I have machine that can put the balance stripe on film Steve, bolex s2, does both actually, just need to get the Agfa f5 stripe stuff from wittners, not sure if they do the
balance stripe in the same stuff. The glue can be mixed by yourself, there is a formula somewhere on the net, google it should come up, but I have it somewhere here
on my computer.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#31 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Oh, I don't want balance stripe, but you have started me thinking that I'd like to stripe Teenage Werewolf and Teenage Frankenstein, and put sound on them, Wit Bissel. and Michael Landon in Werewolf, I have them on 200ft Ken films, it's just the sub's are in a band at bottom of frame, not superimposed as on the box, no a black band with white titles. They both actually run at 24fps for some reason, when I had my silent projector they always looked slow, I had to speed the projector up, then when I got a sound projector, I found they ran at 24fps, maybe it's a sound print that they put out as silent using same neg?.

Steve Carter

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm

No, they were all like that, Walton, Castle. I have projected them at 24fps because they were to slow at 18.

Robert Crewdson

#33 by David Ollerearnshaw , Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Would have thought that to change to 18fps from 24fps would be a costly job, looseing 6 frames would make for an unwatchable film too.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Striping your films can still be done Steve, Phil at CHC might have the bits 'n pieces, Wittners do still carry stocks and stripers
regularly turn up on ebay, but make sure all the machine is intact.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#35 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:03 pm

I was glad when I got the chance to run my "silent" sound prints at 24FPS.
Only downside was you had to read those "superimposed titles" or whatever very quickly.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New films at Super8warehouse.com

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor