Are things getting somewhat out of hand?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

A subject that is becoming topical over on the other forum is the price Dan lails print of Aliens is already at.
It currently stands at just a few pounds under a grand!

Does anyone else happen to believe that when you are talking $1500 for a film, no matter how much we would all love to see it hit our screens, it is just a ridiculous amount of money to pay for one film?

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311461339711?_...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It will be interesting to see what this gem finally fetches also. Either way, It won't be me at these prices that's for sure!!

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221913726853?_...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aliens even has a emulsion scratch through the opening title sequence!!!

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 pm | Top

RE: Are things getting somewhat out of hand?

#2 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Andrew I sold a copy about 7-8 years ago and I was pleased to get about £200 for it, and it was absolutely MINT, how the world of Derann features (in particular) has changed since their demise.

Barry Attwood

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Unbelievable Barry. I only wish now I hadn't taken a break from the hobby!

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Dave Alligan , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:55 pm

When I think back to some of the titles that I had in my collection in 2002 when I sold them to Derann I just wish that I had kept them for a few more years, here are some examples that I had

Aliens
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
Goldfinger
Thunderball (scope)
Tomorrow Never Dies
The World Is Not Enough
Titanic
plus nearly all the Derann Disney features

Ah well you live and learn

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:57 pm

You do indeed Dave. Some absolute belters there BTW!

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:59 pm

I am starting to see the end of my dream of ever owning Alien ... So much money in peoples hands out there that a poor man can't keep up :-( Insane, though now Predator seems cheap compared to the Aliens print

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:03 pm

It's nowhere near the end yet Vidar! Just wait and see!!

I'm with you on some of these. I will just have to accept there are quite a few that will always be beyond my reach nowadays. Ah well I'm not opposed to other means of viewing as we all know, so to me, it's not the end of the world and it will just make me all the more determined to hang onto the ones I have already and cherish them all the more!

To me Vidar, it's not even about Rich Man / Poor Man. It's about what is a sensible limit to pay for any one single feature film. There hasn't been one made which I personally value at £1000 of my money. Simple as that for me.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:05 pm | Top

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:36 pm

If I had enough money, I wouldn't need to worry about bills and therefore wouldn't care how much I paid. You got to be rich to do that. I would have hoped to find Alien at not much more than 300 pounds, after that price, I simply can't make it and keep my house and family. Not worth to lose that. So I can still have a small hope, but if irir's on eBay, there's no chance for me

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:37 pm

Family and home must always come a very big first Vidar, no matter how much we claim to love film.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I fully agree with everything said, at the end of the shift, they are merely an entertainment and not a way of life. To help
put things into perspective, one must ask what would be the cost of a feature like "ALIENS" now, I think it was in the £300,00
league when Derann were knocking them out, prints from the German labs now are roughly £150.00 upwards for 500' of film, the
recent "Capt. America" being a case in point, so some folk are quite prepared to pay over the odds for a film. Not me, I hasten
to add, it is ridiculous to be paying £1000.00 for a film! Even in todays comparison of prices to when they were new, it is out
of the question. Granted films like the above or "Star Wars" will carry on being crazy money, but there are still films that are just as enjoyable, and from the Derann stable that are affordable out there. I wish Mr Lail the best in his sale, obviously someone desperately wants this film, not me, I got mine years ago from the late Pete Hemstock for about £150.00, and it was enough.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:20 pm | Top

#11 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Yes it. Is all pretty sad really.dam good for the seller though. I myself have sold a few goodies and got some healthy figures which for me goes back into the hobby. That said if everything I wanted was a grand a piece I'd put a permanent. Halt on cine and switch to projecting blue ray. In fact we are almost there. I am currently in mallorca until mid week next week,when I get back I am visiting our local Richard sounds to look at digital projectors. I really can't warrant the sorts of money for the titles I want.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 537

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:38 pm

The days of getting the kind of features you, I and many others who are still in the hobby enjoy collecting, for reasonable sums are gone for now sadly Tom.

We all have to accept paying £400 plus for the ones still in excellent shape or do without unfortunately.Many others much much more!

The unmentionable here method makes an extremely viable alternative for those who can tolerate the change.

It would certainly be a huge plus for your locker Tom with your approach to these things from what you tell us.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:40 pm | Top

#13 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:40 pm

To state things are getting somewhat out of hand price wise with 8mm prints is an understatement.
Its absolute lunacy and a scam in my opinion. Even if I had such dosh to spare I still
would not pay those prices. NUTZZZZZ !!!! Totally NUTZZZZ!!!!

David Hardy

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm

It's supply and demand sadly David since the closure of Derann.

There are not hundreds of each title still in circulation. Even fewer in top condition.

People like Hugh are the lucky ones obtaining the titles they wanted during the days Derann was alive and well.

Their second hand lists look like a cine fanatics dream when you look at them now. Many features being sold less than 12 months after their release for a fraction of their new prices!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm | Top

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Dave why did you sell your 8mm prints of these titles ?

David Hardy

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:50 pm

It was always an expensive hobby, but even if I was in a well paid job, I wouldn't be paying the prices asked, for new or secondhand. A few of us here are lucky in that we were able to buy these films brand new, so they and their boxes are still in top shape. 16mm is the way to go now.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Andrew yes I know the amount of prints struck by DFS were limited. However good the prints were quality
wise they were not THAT good. Good for 8mm I suppose with some getting close to 16mm even.
It all comes down to what a collector is willing to pay for a title in the end. All very subjective.

David Hardy

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:53 pm

That may well be the answer for many collectors Robert.
Some people obviously still feel these type of films are worth the huge sums they fetch though or else no one would pay it I suppose.

As has been said, they were never cheap to buy in the first place so if you were one of the ones who invested your money into these in the late 80's and 90's,and have managed to keep them really well, then you have the golden ticket so to speak, nowadays.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:23 pm | Top

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Predator looked a relative bargain at less than £300 for a print in this condition and a top title.

It just goes to show, you never can tell with e bay.

Andrew Woodcock

#20 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Dr. Who and the Daleks 4 x 400 Walton BIN or Offer £328, no screen shots just pictures of ropey boxes and reels of film. (this is not my film) do you think an old Walton print can command this price?.
This is what the sellers says;
Not sure of the quality film due to not having a projector all reels look fine three reels has leads one looks missing but still at the beginning . I bought this item many years ago from a film supplier as I collected anything to do with Doctor Who but never got around to buying a projector to view it. I was told at the time it was excellent quality and was given also the 2 boxes free for decoration. I believe this to be vey rare and hard to find a real jewel in collecting Dr Who rarities. please see photos of item No returns as I have described it the very best I can.
Werbung: Dr. Who and the Daleks 4x400

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Steve Carter

#21 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 pm

What a cheek, he hasn't seen it himself, he bought it secondhand, he only has two of the four boxes, one of the leaders is missing, which says to me, so is a chunk of the film through a lazy projectionist. I mean, he is reasonable at the strange sum of £328.00, how the hell
did he arrive at that? Methinks he should take more water with it or pack it in altogether. Yet another "chancer" who thinks because it
has sprocket holes in it, is a decent title, condition is unknown, but the suckers out there will fall over themselves to buy it, somehow
he and it are going to be spending a lot of time together.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#22 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:05 pm

So many people who know nothing, probably brought up in the digital age, and thinks this is a valuable antique. Doesn't even have uniform reels. I must remember if I ever sell any of my Super 8 to throw in the box as a free gift. Not as bad as the seller who had a film turned red, then advertised it as a rare, or was it, very rare, tinted print. A lot of so called experts out there who know nothing.

Robert Crewdson

#23 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:25 pm

I weary of "I don't have a projector to view it, but it is in excellent condition", how do they know that, and isn't it high time they
obtained said projector to have a bloody look. How would it be, if we placed an ad in "WHAT CAR", selling a super duper sports car,
which we inherited, we don't know if it runs or even starts, it has been kept in a barn for the last twenty years but looks okay to us,
asking price £50,000.00, no returns. Somehow I think a general "Piss Off" from the public would be the replies we received, and rightly
so, so why do they think its okay with cine goods?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Free postage with Dr Who & The Daleks! Generous to a fault!!

Andrew Woodcock

#25 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 am

Correct Hugh. Sometimes I joke to my wife about a used car we got rid of in part exchange. I said we should have advertised it as 'One careful owner'; it had 7 owners, but only one was careful. I get tired of those statements, that the seller has no projector, or no lead for the projector. No returns is valueless, as you can always get your money back.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Look what just came through the Letterbox! (2)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor