RE: Are things getting somewhat out of hand?

#76 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:47 pm

I'm losing track of what we were discussing, prices of certain films for sale are increasing, ebay obviously dictates this, dealers use
ebay, I have no problems with that at all, I wouldn't expect them to sell a much sought after title for buttons, when they can get themselves a bit of handy cash on ebay, they do have to eat as well. Putting a title on their list means first in line wins it, whereas in an open auction, its a chance for all interested party's to bid, everyone's a winner. We have all experienced the fated call to enquire of a title that has been snapped up, too often in my case, which is why ebay wins every time for me. Now saying that not selling on ebay, doesn't mean not buying, dealers have been known to buy extremely cheap on ebay and sell for a very healthy profit, okay, but dealers then expect to be viewed as "a service to collectors", no you aren't, you are in this game because its better than working, I should have got into it myself, its far better than scrambling over roofs and building sites, except I'd have sold little, being a collector. The mighty Derann loved to be thought of as being this "service" too, rubbish, they were there to make as much money as possible, their "service"
to the collectors that had given loyal service TO THEM, wasn't reciprocated when certain dealers asked if use could be made of the
negatives, no they were systematically destroyed, no one was getting any benefit from them. When I used the word " never" Andrew,
I should have said NEVER EVER, those titles that were distributed in the past are consigned to history, you or I will NEVER see new
prints being released of them ever again, the tit's gone dry. There are very few people willing to pay vast sums of money to own even
favourite titles, the hobby is finished regarding releases of future prints, anyone thinking otherwise is not being realistic, that's why I
keep saying that as time goes on, the more expensive these "older" prints become.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:51 pm | Top

#77 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:56 pm

My idea of a dealer, whether it's films, books, or anything else, is to advertise 'Bought and Sold', and wait for someone to offer you something, agree on a price, then sell it for what you think someone would be prepared to pay. I have heard these stories about people grabbing films of Ebay and putting a hefty profit on top. Anyone could do that; it's not my idea of a dealer. I can imagine someone's disappointment at losing out on a film, only to see it reappear with a much higher price on a sellers website.

Robert Crewdson

#78 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Well these sold for £24.99 for the lot of six plus £4.80 P&P and now the dealer is selling these for £20 Each plus P&P.
Werbung: Flicke Flashbacks

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Steve Carter

#79 by Dave Alligan , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Hello Steve

Who is the dealer ?

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#80 by Dave Alligan , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Hugh

I agree with what you say but to me dealers have to make a decision, they either charge for their lists and put everything that they have on them and not use ebay or they use ebay but don't charge for their lists, to me it just seems so unfair that they expect collectors to subscribe to their lists but when something "meaty" comes up they put it on ebay and ignore their core customers.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#81 by Dave Alligan , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:11 pm

I do think that when Derann closed and they dumped all their negatives and sound masters that was totally out of order, their was no need for that, they could have sold them which would have bought money in but it was just sheer bloody mindedness on the part of the Derann management

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#82 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Yes, but the great God Derann wants to be remembered for being a "service" to the collector, like hell they were, a service
to themselves. In conversation with a couple of gents at one of The Blackpool gatherings, they were stating how expensive
the hobby had become and how little Derann offered them for their prints when they wanted to sell. I knew exactly where
they were coming from, which is why I can feel the hair coming through my shirt at dealers thinking they are saints that look out
for us. I appreciate all that has been said, but the bottom line is this, ebay is the place for selling film, it can also be beneficial
for buying it too, expect to pay for the rarer titles, but at least you'll have a horse in the race, better than the "Oh, I'm sorry, but that was sold first thing this morning" routine.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#83 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm

But a lot of dealers who bid on Ebay have a wad to play around with, they always auto bid they win some lose some but mainly win. People say Ebay films the condition is unknown, but these dealers still buy them and sale them on, so you are only getting ebay quality, you know, I haven't got a projector, the box looks to be in good condition as do the the 'TAPE'.

Steve Carter

#84 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:44 pm

I have seen a B&H standard 8mm camera advertised as 16mm, because it takes a 16mm film, which is then split down the middle after processing, or another vintage cine camera advertised as a video camera, or even camcorder. I may not have been the brightest person at school, but compared to many of the younger generation, I am Einstein. One question you could ask many is 'Is English not your first language?'.

Robert Crewdson

#85 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

That Dr Who film on ebay. Seems a little expensive, although the seller does say its full film! I would have though that these titles would have been quite good sellers for Walton. Would like a copy myself, but about £50. I think the highest it cost while Walton were trading was £100.

Of the new releases from features none appeal to me.

Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb."

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 62

#86 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 pm

It can't be the full film it's 4 x 400ft.

Dave Alligan likes this
Steve Carter

#87 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Well David for £50 you can get 2 x 200ft Dr. Who and the Daleks extracts for £25 each on Independant 8, so I don't think your going to get the feature for £100.

Steve Carter

#88 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Just because someone has a lot of money Steve, doesn't mean they are going to bid silly, that's how they keep their wad, by not
going over the top. I have been guilty of taking up a bid then dropping out, just to say "you wanted it, you got it!!"

Hugh Thompson Scott

#89 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:03 pm

I didn't mean bid silly on one film, but have enough to bid on a lot of different auctions across ebay. Hugh you sound like 'YUUP!' on Storage Wars.

Steve Carter
Last edited Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:05 pm | Top

#90 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm

I haven't a clue who he is, but assume he does similar. You know the pain in the arse bidder, who takes it up, then again, so my
evil side says okay, lets play, after it gets to where I want it, off I drop.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#91 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes that's the game, they don't want an item but want other bidders to pay more, sometimes it backfires and your left with a very expensive 'Turkey', bidding games can be dangerous to your pocket.

Steve Carter

#92 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Very true Steve, but so far so good, its instinct I suppose to guess when to go, but that type of bidder really annoys me, hence
my "revenge".

Hugh Thompson Scott

#93 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Sometimes, I wonder of sellers put friends and family into bid up the price, when something starts at 99p and go up and up suddenly.

Steve Carter

#94 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:52 pm

Shilling as they call it, well there is always that, which if my past exploits are anything to go by, the item is still in the family.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#95 by Paul Browning , Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 pm

We all know it happens Steve even bloody Ebay know its going on, I call them "red arrow" bidders, they go up and up and then peel off at the last moment, nothing annoys
me more. I will pay a fair price for something that I want, but this is subjective as we all know. I wonder how many films Barry would sell if all his catalogue was just
make me an offer?, after all he can only refuse, your not gonna get shot at dawn, and besides Barry is an amiable chap and friendly on the phone when I have spoken to
him. I have had some good buys on Ebay I have to admit and of course the wider audience is the big appeal to the seller, there are some I would not buy from again,
just like some of the traders, it is your choice as a collector of films that you want as to where you get it from, the service is still a big plus for me though.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#96 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Ebay has allowed me to get titles that I have never seen on any dealers lists over here, or abroad, its usually the private seller
that wants a decent price for his film, and only right. At least when its an open auction, everyone gets a chance. Perhaps an
idea might be for the dealer with a coveted film, to have an auction himself, that way he can satisfy his clientele and get himself
a good mark up on his film, and he won't have any charges to pay, just a thought.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#97 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm

I have had good sellers, on eBay who go out of their way to help, I never approach problems gung ho, more like Sgt, Walker you get more time from a seller that way, treat as you expect to get treated. Yes I've had a few 'stinkers' who take the money and run. I remember I was done for 80 quid on there, the seller tried alsorts, I'm a poor student, with arrears etc, any way it went on and on, pay pal coughed up in the end, but I thought after you could make a living out of selling broken items, and expect someone else to pick up the tab.

Steve Carter

#98 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:00 pm

My wife once kept bidding on a necklace, the seller said it was gold; I told her to stop, as she could end up buying it, but she took no notice, eventually it reached about £650, and she was shocked when she was told she was the lucky bidder; then she asked me to cough up half. We didn't do badly; we had it valued, and was told it was base metal; the seller disagreed but couldn't argue with a professional valuation, which I sent him a copy of. He refunded about £250. The brooch with diamonds was valued at £1,400.

Robert Crewdson

#99 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:35 am

Refunded £250, I would have wanted every coin, the robber, these people take your breath ( and money) with these
descriptions, or misleading statements for their items for sale. Having said that, I was doing a favour by importing some
16mm films for a chap in the USA from Italy, the seller wouldn't send to the USA, he was the brother in law of an Italian seller who still sells regularly on the 8mm
forum. The promise of these films that never were going to be sent came to a head when I told him that if they were not sent by a certain date, I would drop him into the arms of PayPal, the films were not in the mail, he was put into their hands, he didn't think I would, but it was someone else's money at stake, needless to say, a full refund was given, I was embarrassed by this bastard, I understand by the email his brother in law sent, his story had hit the papers in Italy, his wife had learned of him whoring about, and
locked him out of his own home, he couldn't get access to his stuff, but that wasn't my problem. Really, for me, I felt dirty, I have never
"run to teacher", I like to sort my own problems out, but it was someone else's money, so he had to go. Thankfully, they raided his bank and refunded me to give this chap his money back. I have never seen him advertise for ages, I notified the 8mm forum too, for what it was worth.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:38 am | Top

#100 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:41 am

These shiesters, in any walk of life, always need highlighting in my book Hugh. Well Played!

You reap what you sew as they say!!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:45 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Look what just came through the Letterbox! (2)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor