RE: Are things getting somewhat out of hand?

#26 by Dave Alligan , Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:24 am

Hello Dave

I don't know if you was asking me why I sold my titles, it goes back to 2002 when my GS1200 packed up, the main motor went, due to all the recording into stereo that I was doing for a certain 8mm dealer, anyway I was told by Derek that the days of 8mm was numbered, these were his words exactly and to sell my collection and go into video projection which I did but I now realise it was the biggest mistake of my life if I held onto my collection I would be sitting on thousands of pounds and that's no exaggeration considering the titles that I had, we all live and learn

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#27 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:49 am

I thought it was an odd thing for Derek to say as he was still making a living from films up to his death. I tried a few times to get something from his online list and it was always gone, I know others who were always unlucky as well, and gave up.

Robert Crewdson

#28 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:46 pm

I would imagine Derek was thinking as a business man and not a collector, I had similar advice from Mike Hankin when discussing
Harryhausen, he advised unloading all my film, he had let his films go for next to nothing. Well, I'm still here, if I was the last film
nerd on earth, no marketing men are going to dissuade me to "upgrade" to whatever is the flavour of the week, I, like many, have invested far too much money in this hobby to bale out now, many have, but not this horse, I was tempted many years ago by moving
over to video, but even though the devil was at my elbow, I withstood temptation and I'm still here. Going by what some titles are bringing in on ebay, I can understand folk buying in digital projectors to show a title they know they can't obtain on film, fine, but
to chuck away all their happy memories to join Joe Soap and his mob, well, it is not my way, I don't conform, difficult is my
middle name, film is forever, and universal.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:47 pm | Top

#29 by Dave Alligan , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:15 pm

You are right Hugh, Derek was a business man, he loved film but at the end of the day he run a business that had to make money, I don't want this to seem its a doom and gloom about super 8, its not, it seems like yesterday when I was talking to Derek on the phone and I told him about my problems with my GS1200 and I quote he said to me "Get out of super 8 its days are numbered, sell your collection while you can get a good price for them" that bit I admit Derek got wrong, just look at the price now but he wasn't wrong that the days of super 8 were numbered in the fact of new releases, but that is down to the labs in this country closing down, me and Barry Attwood have said if Derek was here we think he would have bought films labs north and kept it going for super 8 releases.
Derek also told me that he was having problems getting the stripe chemicals due to eu regulations.
But I do regret selling my film collection and going into video projection, yes you do get the quality of picture (sometimes) and the sound quality, but you don't get the thrill of handling film and looking at your film collection on the shelves in the nice neat boxes.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Can't disagree with any of that David, film is on the wane, make no mistake, the hobby is gone really, titles will always be available
on ebay and our die hard dealers, God love them, but in the good old days, it was the point 'n shoot brigade that kept this hobby ticking
over, once they had gone, so did the labs like Kodak, it is a downward spiral, so just go with the flow and enjoy it while its here.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#31 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Like a lot of people I kept up with the times and bought a Video recorder, and later a DVD player. It can compliment your real film collection, it doesn't have to replace it. Perhaps Derek thought the days of getting a good price for your films were numbered; sell up while you can still get a good price.

Robert Crewdson

#32 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply I was just curious as to why you sold your prints.
Are you still giving shows in your Shed Home Cinema ?

David Hardy

#33 by Dave Alligan , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:57 pm

In 1982 I made my first visit to the Northern Film Collectors Convention, this was at the Gables Hotel and I went every year until my last in 2001 and Barry Attwood used to come with us but it was a well known fact that we used to talk about what new releases were coming out what surprises Derann had up their sleeve for the collectors, but today the Blackpool convention is just a glorified jumble sale, no disrespect to the organiser but what else is it when all their is on sale is second hand films, the film shows just show old films.
When I went you had the new release show, the new scope show.
Will now get off my soap box, thanks guys for listening

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#34 by Dave Alligan , Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello Dave

Unfortunately we moved from where I used to live so the Shed Cinema has gone but hopefully one day their will be a "new" shed cinema.
If anyone can help me I could put some pictures on here of my home cinema

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#35 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:42 pm

If I can put pictures on here David, so can next doors cat.

Mats Abelli likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#36 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Did you read the post about posting pictures? Just send them to me if you have troubled or you can do a step by step with me if you want.

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#37 by David Ollerearnshaw , Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

The most I ever paid for a film was £300 maybe £350 for Jason and the Argonauts a 'white box' this was at a Derann's open day, just after the Columbia deal had stopped. They gave me the label too, but loose.

I would never sell my films, in all the years I've collected think only sold four.

At least with super 8mm and 16mm you can still show them. My Betamax tapes are just useless pieces of plastic, with rust in them. Still find digital cold to watch, but some of the extras more than make up for that. The Dollars films have then and now shots, which I find good.

Quote of the Post

"There's no place like home."

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#38 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Over the years I reckon I've sold scores of films, features mainly, there are only a handful I regret parting with.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#39 by Luís Caramelo , Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:40 pm

David.i feel the same,i had sell a few features,but others in my private collection i inteent to keep them as long i know there,s some titles wicth come over once in our hans,i speak from my self ofcourse,how long these years their value keeps incresing,
i do also the smell of the film,and toutch it,..

best:

luis caramelo

Luís Caramelo  
Luís Caramelo
Date registered 10.10.2015
ThankYou 17

#40 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi Dave
Awwwww !!!! So the famous shed is no more Dave. Never mind I still have you on Keith Wilton's DVDs and VHS.
I look forward to pictures of your new cinema.

David Hardy

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 pm

me too Dave! It was brilliant!!

Andrew Woodcock

#42 by Tom Photiou , Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:07 am

Its interesting this isn't it.
I wonder if Dereck and Derran were still here if cine prices would still be the same as they use to be or if ebay etc would still have pushed the prices up. Do you think there will be time and if so how far away when the prices will simply fall through the floor.
Vinyl is coming back and now I see,believe it or not, certain VHS titles are fetching a few quid. Nothing like cine but never the less everything seems to become worthless before making a huge comeback. Going back to the idiot that has put the dr who film on at a stupid price whilst admitting to not knowing anything about it I can only say the man's an idiot but the bigger idiot would be anyone who bid on it.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 10.21.2015 | Top

#43 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:37 am

Has anyone ever bought a 'super 8mm tape'? Makes my blood boil. The other one looks fine, but unable to check no projector. The next item he/she has listed is a projector.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#44 by Dave Alligan , Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:03 pm

The shed cinema will be back in the mean time I will be putting pictures of the original in the picture gallery

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

#45 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

50ft Joe 90 B&W cheap Arrow film, BIN £30, where do these people get their prices??? They think because it's Anderson they are sitting on something hot.
Werbung: 50Ft Joe 90

The following contents have been linked to this post::

Steve Carter

#46 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:40 pm

It wouldn't have made any difference to the hobby as a whole Tom if Derek Simmonds and Derann were still here, there are no labs in
the UK, cine film stock is now a very expensive commodity, if people were using film as they used to, it would be cheaper, time unfortunately has moved on, very few use film as a recording medium now, hence the outlandish prices of the German labs. If Derann
or any other distributor was still by some miracle operating, no one would be buying new releases in the volume they did in the
past, as prices would be extortionate, coupled with no decent filmstock to put them out on, the acetate now leaves a lot to be desired
and the Polyestar can't be striped, so there you have it, not to mention that the main thrust of collectors are now gone. I hate being
Devils advocate, but lets be realistic, if you want "Star Wars", "Alien" or some other cult film, on film, then you will be paying big bucks for them, sad fact. So to quote PM Harold MacMillan,"You've never had it so good".

Paul Browning likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#47 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:21 pm

When people were recommending to get out of the hobby, to sell your collection, they must have thought there were others who were not moving, who were able and willing to buy your films. It was a sad day when I came back from Portland Films closing down sale; I knew my collecting days were virtually over, but even though I knew I wouldn't be adding any more titles, I never thought of parting with what I had. I never did go with the Fashion.

Robert Crewdson

#48 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:24 pm

We must have all had a schoolteacher who said 'If your friend put his hand in a fire, would you do the same?: you don't have to do something just because your friend does'.

Robert Crewdson

#49 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Imagine if the Web suddenly ceased, the dealers stopped trading, would you suddenly stop watching and enjoying what you have?
I enjoy watching all mediums of motion picture entertainment, film is special to me, I never looked on them as an investment, they
are an entertainment. Now, when I take stock, there are films there that literally are sound investments, especially the super 8
stuff. So when the time comes, I can happily clean up on ebay, but I hope before I have thoughts of selling up, I have time to savour
and enjoy rarities on "film".

Hugh Thompson Scott

#50 by Dave Alligan , Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Me and Barry Attwood looked at the possibility of bringing something out on super 8, I myself got intouch with the German labs to find out how much, its was staggering what I was quoted and this was just for 2 trailers a full theatrical trailer and a teaser trailer of the same title, we would have had to pay for the neg to be made, print 16mm print (2 x super 8 prints), make sound master, stripe prints, record prints, split prints, spools we decieded it was not economical worth it considering how many we would have to sell just to break even.
I cant remember what the exact price was but it was in thousands of pounds.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
ThankYou 11

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Look what just came through the Letterbox! (2)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor