Goko RM-8008 Stereo Editor

#1 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm

I've had one of these for a while now, and someone asked me if I had one, so I've got it out and had a look at it. It takes a 1200' reel, Stereo, 18 & 24 f.p.s., it has all the bells and whistles for a top machine, but boy what a let down when you look at the picture quality, it may look better in a darkened room, but for a top machine like this I expected more, still I suppose it will do a job for someone (I've actually got a collector looking at it tomorrow, so we'll see!).

Has any other forum member got one of these?

Barry Attwood

RE: Goko RM-8008 Stereo Editor

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Yes Barry I have. Its great for recording. All the editors only take a 6v lamp Barry, so its only to be expected that the actual picture image quality and brightness levels will be nothing to write home about. Let me know if you still have it after tomorrow. I am always on the look out for spares machines.

The image side of things is just so you can either check prints for scratches etc when you first receive them or to find the points you want to edit the film for sound or picture.

I placed the halogen lamp in mine. It makes it slightly brighter than the ordinary lamp but you do get more of a hot spot on the screen image than by using the regular bulb.

The 912's bring about a similar image quality and brightness as they use the same lamp and fresnel screen arrangement.

Ruben Torrejon does not like this!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:36 pm | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 pm

What are they like for rerecording of soundtracks Andrew? Obviously they are a better option than using a projector, all the
toing & froing puts added wear on a print, so one of these sounds just the ticket.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:55 pm

they are very good except for one point. If you are trying to keep a recording synchronized in the manner I do with my Bauer projectors, they drift.
this is not because of the drive itself being inaccurate, because the DC motor and its control circuitry do a very good job indeed.

No, this is because the film is only driven by the capstan roller and of course the machine is sprocketless. As a result you will get some slippage over time and this causes a lag behind the digital master you are attempting to record from.

It is of course, made all the worse by using Filmguard, but I have to say, it will begin to lag after around 10 minutes even with no film cleaner or lubricant added.

I've successfully used it to re record cartoons on both stripes in Stereo in one take, but that's about it on the fly, so to speak.
It is superb for dubbing track 1 to track 2 and vice versa though if you want to back up your main track. Very good sound quality obtained indeed!

By far the best machine for recording is dare I say.. The Bauer T610. Lovely Stereo sound recordings that are high quality and no problem whatsoever projecting forwards or backwards all day long. An absolute delight to record on.

So in answer to your statement there Hugh, no not really are they better than the best projectors for doing this with.

For the reason stated above regarding the fact the RM 8008 being sprocketless, I could never understand for the life of me why Pedro designed a sync board for these to go with the rest of the electronic driven machines. Just doesn't make any sense to me as it would never had worked.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Assuming you can get one that has both tracks working.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 550

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:56 pm

they can all have both tracks working Tom if you have them repaired.
All machines have electrical and mechanical breakdowns from time to time.

Bill would've got yours working Tom, if you had wanted to keep it.

The lens and the head wear is a different matter though, it has to be said.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:06 pm | Top

#7 by Paul Browning , Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:04 pm

The Goko rm8008 uses the elmo gs1200 stereo head, so sound should be good. I have not yet used mine to record so this I carn't comment on, user manual on this about to be
uploaded to this site soon.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 pm

It's very good indeed Paul! Also because it shares the sendust head of the GS. It is extremely durable as you know.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:07 pm

The GOKO sold this morning, I've a couple more GOKO motorized editors (I believe I've got another RM-8008) but it looks like the belts have disintergrated over time, so I'll have a look at them hopefully over this weekend, so I might have a couple more to list soon.

Barry Attwood

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 pm

How much are they? I only have a poor 400' or maybe 600' nanual one. Would love to own a motorized 1200' one with sound

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#11 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Vidar,

No prices yet, as I've got to make sure they are still working OK.

Barry Attwood

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:40 am

May I ask what the one you just sold went for? You don't have to say exact, but wonder if it's in the 50, 100, 150 or 200 price range

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#13 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:47 am

Mine was £100 to give you an Idea Vidar,of expected price wanted. For one of these.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:49 am | Top

#14 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:40 am

Vidar,

The one I sold yesterday went for £180 but it was the top of the range 1200' capacity Stereo recording machine.

Barry Attwood
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:40 am | Top

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:51 am

yeah that was what mine was the RM 8008, from Ian for £100. All working minus one small plastic button but now luckily I have one from Kevin Clark.

Thanks again Kevin!

You did well to sell it for that amount Barry.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:15 pm | Top

#16 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:32 am

Well having looked at the 2 editors I've got, there's good news and bad news, I've a GOKO RM-5000 800' recrding editor, all seems OK except that it may need a new volume control, but we've had to order an extra long screwdiver to open the machine up, so this may be available soon.

The second one is a GOKO RM-3D which seemed fine for a minute or two until it started smoking, this one we were able to get apart, and it looks like the motor is kaput, and I doubt if I'll be able to find a replacement, but I'll have a look around, but this may be only good for spares.

Barry Attwood

#17 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:58 am

They share a lot of bits with the Elmo Editors as they were made by Goko just rebadged. I bet you could find one and the motor would be the same and fit. I have one of these
but someone had locked the driven wheel hard against the main frame of the machine, so it would not turn, I could feel the motor was trying to turn, not even the belt was slipping.
I removed the pulley wheel and belt, cleaned both and repositioned it on the shaft, all good now. Only the high end models have the "non flicker" prism's, but the light is not
that great, 6v lamp, cleaning the mirror helps, and making sure it hasn't become misaligned (had that too) will help.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#18 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks for the info Paul, I've actually emailed Goko direct (yes they are still going, not in 8mm though!) and I'll wait and see what they say, but the Elmo news is interesting at least.

Barry Attwood

#19 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:24 pm

ON your machine Barry just check that the main drive spindle visible from the front of the machine is turning freely, its the bit the rubber roller engages, if this carn't
be turned easily or at all then this is probably the main cause of your smoking motor. That spindle has a phosphor bearing mounted in the main frame of the machine
in which this passes through and the pulley is locked to it. I have known this to be very stiff to turn when not used for some time, pays to give it little help with your
finger to see if its moving freely before you plug into the mains. These bearing are self lubricating Barry you should not need any spray in them, its quite well made
and a good fit in there, but if layed up for a long period you may need to give it an helping hand.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#20 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:57 pm

Paul it ran OK for a minute or so then started slowing down, then there was smoke and that awful smell you get. I've put it away for now, but I'll look at again when I look at the other editor.

Barry Attwood

#21 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:14 pm

To Paul, the halogen lamps do give a 20% brighter image on the Fresnel screen but just like the incandescent lamps, the beam has to focussed by adjusting the lamp before tightening the adjusting screw to gain maximum, uniform brightness across the full screen width.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:16 pm | Top

#22 by Paul Browning , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Still crap though Andrew, not what your expecting, for what was an expensive machine when new.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Sorry Paul, I'm not with you? ...What aspect do you feel is crap?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:13 pm | Top

#24 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 pm

I got a reply in broken English (most probably Japanese to English translation program), they thanked me for the enquiry about a new motor but the 8mm editors had been discontinued for many years and there was no spares available. Well at least I got a reply.

Barry Attwood

#25 by Paul Browning , Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:45 pm

ANDREW, I'm referring to the light output in general of the Goko, for the price that was when new, its got candle power, it should have said non flicker non light. It's a pity
really because other than this its a damn good editor.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

Eumig 800 series lamp upgrade
Syncing soundtracks on Super 8

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor