F.B.I Girl (1951)

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:05 pm

This is one of my latest purchases, a crime drama from 1951, and is one of the most action packed films I have seen. I don't have any screenshots, so am using a publicity photograph.

Crooked governor Owen Grisby (played by Raymond Greenleaf) is actually a man wanted for murder, a murder committed years earlier; his real name being John Williams. Now a senate crime commission is about to pay a visit (from the governor’s point of view a very unwelcome visit) to Capitol City. The governor’s only chance would be if someone could get access to the FBI’s fingerprint files and remove his fingerprint file. The governor’s crooked chief advisor and henchman Blake (Raymond Burr) believes that may be possible. If one of the women employed in the FBI fingerprint section could just be persuaded to do it, or blackmailed into it.

He has found such a woman but Blake makes an error of judgment. He intends to kill the woman afterwards, so there won’t be any loose ends, but she is killed by his over-enthusiastic goons who force her car off the road, then take the fingerprint file from her handbag.

The FBI of course are not complete fools. They soon realise this was murder, and the murder of someone in their fingerprint section naturally excites their suspicions. Two veteran agents are assigned to the case, Agent Glen Stedman (Cesar Romero) and Agent Jeff Donley (George Brent).
A set of fingerprints was found on the car and identified. The killer's details are plastered all over the newspapers and TV. A hotel clerk calls the FBI to say someone answering that description is staying at the hotel; the conversation is overheard by the murderer and the clerk gets a knife in the back. The killer is then assigned to kill the woman's brother in case he talks. The FBI publish a story that he survived the attack and is in hospital. The killer, now disguised as a priest enters the hospital to finish the job, the police are waiting, but he escapes out of a window on to a ledge; while the police are trying to convince him to come back inside, he slips and falls to his death.

The agents know another attempt will be made as a second set of prints exists and they’ve got as far as tracing a link back to Capital City. But to nail the bad guys they’ll need help. They think they’ve found that help in the person of Shirley Wayne (Audrey Totter). She works in the fingerprint section and her boyfriend has approached her to steal the John Wiliams fingerprint file. This could be the break Agents Stedman and Donley need. But it will be dangerous work for Shirley. The FBI somehow manage to make up an identical card, and age it to look like the real thing. They also provide Shirley with a walkie talkie in her handbag. Shirley and her boyfriend meet Blake (Raymond Burr) as arranged and drive to Governor Grisby's house. The police are discretely following as is a helicopter. After handing over the document Raymond Burr discovers the walkie talkie in Shirlety's handbag; realising it's all over, he decides to run, taking Shirley and her boyfriend as hostages. He is startled by the bright beam from a helicopter, and a gun battle ensues, he runs of towards a quay, where he has a motor boat waiting, and moves off. Cesar Romero, who took off after him, but had to give up at the quayside, boards a helicopter and they go off in pursuit. Raymond Burr is armed with a pistol, while Cesar Romero has a machine gun, so it's not long before it all comes to an end. The film ends with Governor Grisby being led away in handcuffs, and another FBI case is closed.

This was 74 minutes of non stop action. My print was made in 1953; a nice surprise was to find this is a British print, with the BBFC certificate.

The publicity photograph is far removed from the actual scene; Raymond Burr forces Audrey Trotter into the back of a car, then punches her, something that shocked the cinema audiences of 1951.

The following members like this: Clyde Miles and Vidar Olavesen
Robert Crewdson

RE: F.B.I Girl (1951)

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Sounds like a great print and intriguing film to watch Robert! Superb write up by the way

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:37 pm | Top

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 am

Raymond Burr was always the resident bad guy, he looked like he had put his jacket on over the chair he was sitting in, and had eyes
like Smarties on boiled eggs, he was one of my heroes as a kid through his TV show Perry Mason. The film Robert just described sounds
quite a thriller, hope it gets an airing on TV, I'm interested now.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#4 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 am

I had a standard 8 of Lex Barker in Tarzan and the She Devil, Raymond Burr was the baddie in that one, remember when Benny Hill did that American detectives sketch, and Ironside kept running over everybody's toes, and knocking things over with his chair. I miss the Benny Hill Show, I expect they have had the scissors out on those.

Steve Carter

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

I've got that Benny Hill sketch on the unmentionable. We use to watch Perry Mason every week. I've also got Burr as another nasty in Errol Flynn's last Hollywood film for Warner's 'Mara Maru', He gets Flynn to use his boat to search for some sunken treasure, but Flynn overhears that when the treasure has been brought up he will be killed, so he smashes the compass, and tells them that if they think they can navigate their way back, then go ahead and shoot. He was also another nasty in an earlier Flynn classic 'The Adventures of Don Juan' 1947.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Firstborn

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor