RE: Look what just came through the Letterbox!

#26 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:11 pm

Robert I am very tempted to go into 16mm, but would not know where to start, all the talk of worm gears is a little off putting, if I could get some sound advice etc, I think I could or should dip my toe in the water.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Steve Carter

#27 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Some here could give you advice; sometimes Paul Foster has a B&H with new worm gear; the new ones should last almost forever. I am on a limited budget Steve, I couldn't afford Super 8 now unless I was in a well paid job, and I'm not sure I would want to pay the prices asked. What I love about 16mm is that virtually any film up to around 2003 can come up for sale. You never know what you are going to find. I think a lot of members on here would say 'Go for it', just make sure you buy one with a new worm and a model that has easily available lamps.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 pm | Top

#28 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:57 pm

There's never been a better time than now to get into that guage Steve. It was always beyond my means. Can you believe that when B&H brought out their Filmo cine camera in 1923 it was the same price as a Ford car, and when they built their first projector in Britain in arrangement with Gaumont British in 1947 it cost £237, the wages would have been well under £10 a week.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:32 pm | Top

#29 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 pm

I am still feeling the Elmo 16-CL is a great machine. Easy load and unload and never had much trouble with it. I changed a plastic part that I think was broken during transport. I think I paid some 150 Euro or so on German eBay

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#30 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I actually asked the question about 16mm, what I would also like to know is where you get these films so cheap, I have never got any-thing as low cost as some of the films you come across, you only have to look at ebay now and old features are starting at £200 plus, and don't get me started on the ridiculous start prices of Super 8, even standard 8 is becoming pricey.

Steve Carter

#31 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:29 pm

True, eBay is not the place anymore. My best deals are from meetings here in Scandinavia. After discounts I think I paid about 40 GBP for the Romancing the Stone. Usual prices for lesser hit movies are about 10 to 30.

At Blackpool last year, I think Juggernaut went for 20 pounds. So you can get deals at meetings

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Sorry Steve, I don't know how the mix up happened. I buy my films mostly from Paul Foster because he gets the type of films I go for, 1930s to 1950s, with some top stars. I have bought a couple from Classic Home Cinema, they are a bit more expensive but usually they are in great condition, the two I had were anyway. There is also Ian Partridge Films.

Robert Crewdson

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:39 pm

I have had some good shorts from Ebay, but the only feature I went for had to be returned because someone had deliberately cut out a key scene in the film, and without that it meant nothing. The problem with some Ebay sellers is that they don't know, or pretend they don't know anything, and some say they don't have a projector to test it with. They seem to know what it's worth though.

Robert Crewdson

#34 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Thanks Robert, I looked at Ian partridge, looks very good he seems to give true descriptions of films and the prices are not that bad. Vidar I would love to attend sales and meetings, but they are so far for me to get to transport wise, wheelchair transport is at a premium in this country, a 60 mile each way trip cost nearly £300, that was nearly 3 years ago, so I don't go out that often, transport outweighs getting a bargain.

Steve Carter
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:48 pm | Top

#35 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear that Steve. If you look at Classic Home Cinema I think they start from about £60, the only thing is that most of the titles are obscure. Paul Foster gets better known titles, he has two grades, Very Good and Excellent. With Excellent you most likely will get original leaders and tails. I have had some great condition features from him, as good as the stuff I bought new in Super 8: with Very Good, it could be an older print, with replaced leader, and probably some splices, nothing serious. Some of these prints could be quite rare, as many prints were originally destroyed like 35mm, to stop them falling into the hands of collectors. Before buying any film I always look at review on IMDB.com or amazon.

If you look at the past sales page of Ian Partridge, he has had some good titles and not expensive, like 'The first Men in the Moon' for £40, and I got my copy of 'Into the Blue' from him at £50 in perfect condition.

Robert Crewdson

#36 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Steve, have sent you a P.M.

Robert Crewdson

#37 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks Robert.
Any-one know anything about a Eumig Mark s 807D, I have just picked one up, I have not got it yet, the thing I fear is that the standard 8 sprockets are missing, I wanted a Standard 8 sound projector and this one came along and like buses another 2 followed behind.

Steve Carter

#38 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 pm

I hope it's all there Steve, you also need the smaller aperture pressure plate. I saw someone mention one recently in which the Standard 8 parts were missing; strange how these things go missing as they are stored inside the projector.

Robert Crewdson

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I have an 810D, there are probably some similarities. One that is very important is that there is an inching knob at the take up end, this has a red dot on it. If I remember correctly, the dot should be at the 12 O'clock position before you remove the aperture plate and pressure plate for cleaning, as it retracts the pull down claws.

Robert Crewdson

#40 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:28 am

Robert is correct there. Remember to make sure the "inching knob" is set in the right position as you could damage the claw
when changing plates.

David Hardy

#41 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:06 am

NEVER ever remove gate or Aperture plate without making sure that claw is in the retracted position Steve. It is the devils own job trying to remove one that has broken, coupled to the fact, you can't get them now. I had three or four in a little packet from Johnson's of Hendon, can I put my hand on them, can I hell.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 am | Top

#42 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:50 am

Oh, I'm a bit worried now, why? because perhaps the person who is selling this does not know of this information, and they could have unintentionally done this with-out knowing. I will have to wait and see.

Steve Carter

#43 by Dave Alligan , Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 am

Many years ago when I collected 16mm I ordered a scope print from the USA of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, at the time I was asked if I wanted it to come by airmail or surface mail being a typical film collector I wanted it straight away so I said airmail, the film cost me then £150 when I got a phone call to say my film had arrived in the UK and that I had to pay £200 for customs, VAT, airline handling and everything else, the charges were more than the film, so the next time I ordered a 16mm film from USA which was scope print of Oliver I had it come by surface mail, this took 6 weeks but it arrived on my doorstep by royal mail and no extra charges.

Dave Alligan  
Dave Alligan
Date registered 09.23.2015
home: Felixstowe
ThankYou 11

#44 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:03 am

Steve, if it's helpful I could scan the instruction manual to the 810D, as some parts will be similar.

Robert Crewdson

#45 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:22 am

Well it's just arrived, good news all the gates and sprockets are there, plus a clip on day-light screen and mic, I have the first reel of 'Stagecoach' in standard 8, so I will run it later, fingers crossed etc,.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Steve Carter

#46 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:14 pm

That's good Steve, I always fancied the daylight screen, they were sold separately, I thought they could be useful when I wanted to try my hand at special effects. I have uploaded the manual for the 810D, different from yours, but some will be the same. Hope it helps. I only left out the pages on recording on striped film, as no one is doing that anymore as far as I know.

Robert Crewdson

#47 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:15 pm

You people have bigger letterboxes than me.

Robert Crewdson

#48 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Size isn't everything Robert, well done you Steve on giving 16mm a go. I wouldn't be buying a projector off ebay as your first machine, there are some very knowledgeable dealers who will be quite happy to guide you, like Phil at CHC, Paul Foster, Tony Reypert at Bucks Film and Ian at Perry's, they'll make sure you get a machine that works. My advice would be for a modern B&H, reason being the three claw pull down, as opposed to the Japanese two, which makes B&H very kind to film and they use the dichroic lamps, the older projectors will use a mains voltage lamp that are getting rare and costly, so always ask about lamp usage. Good luck.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#49 by Steve Carter ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Well the seller forgot the mains lead, but I don't mind, I have a spare. I plugged it in there was the sound of the motor running, put it into foward nothing on 24 fps, 18 was running a bit, so off with the back, I then cleaned the two rubber drive disc's, I then clean and greased all that should be, then a couple of drops of singer sewing machine oil on the drive shaft, replaced the back cover. I then cleaned all film paths, the claw and gate. So fingers crossed I plugged it in, set the motor forwards, yes, yes, yes, so I then ran Stagecoach, "It's alive" I exclaimed, Oh that's another film. So I think I done well for £35, at last a bargain.

Steve Carter
Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:45 pm | Top

#50 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Well done Steve, no doubt it'll be running films all night long, congratulations on your very good fortune.

Hugh Thompson Scott

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Got a Pink Panther, what's the original title?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor