You had a bulb do this before?

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Tonight i was watching a film on my Elmo 1200HD. Some of you may be aware of my lens fungus question not too long ago.
Well, that's been sorted, i put a poor image contrast down to that problem without giving any thought at all to the bulb simply because the one that's in there is only a few months old.
However, during a cartoon tonight the picture got dimmer and dimmer until the bulb went out.
Upon removal i was well annoyed to see that one of the pins had broken off and was lodged in the bulb holder.Luckily with the aid of a good pair of long tweezers i got it out. Nothing appeared to be wrong with the contacts so i cleaned them up anyway with a little emery cloth and some electrical cleaner. Obviously i put an old cloth under to stop any bits going into the machine or film path then cleaned out the entire machine using compressed air.
Popped in a new bulb and is well and my films are brighter than i can remember, almost like a new lens has been put in.
Is this something any of you have encountered before? its a first for me but looking at how shiny and clean the pin still on the bulb is compared to the burnt out broken one.
I've checked to ensure there is no arcing or sparking in the contacts & it all seems OK.
We checked our print of Stagecoach,(see other thread), and this film now appears fine, it was that poxy bulb all the time.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 537

RE: You had a bulb do this before?

#2 by Paul Browning , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello Tom, YES , this happens a lot to this kind of lamp, mainly due to the lamp holder connects arcing out, and burning through the thin two pins taking all the juice across them. I would check the holder and replace, quite a common part still, but get the replacement with the Teflon leads as these tend to be better quality. I have an on going project, can you send me the broken lamp, I will pay the postage thanks Tom.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

Last edited 09.15.2015 | Top

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Tom, Paul is of course spot on with his prognosis. Change the lampholder with one available from Edwin or similar and you're back on track.

Every machine I've ever owned and run extensively has needed this treatment at one stage or another. Do it and you need never revisit it again probably for at least at decade.

The Beaulieu style ones sold by Edwin represent the best of the best of these for the A1 232 lamp. Go for one of these mate.

Half the price of Wittners stock of these also BTW.

I've never changed one twice to date.

Now if only I could solve Manchester City's European problems as easily!

Paul Browning likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:51 pm | Top

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:26 pm

My sound projector uses a bulb (DNE) similar to that one except the pins are fatter. I've only had to replace it once so far. I think it's rated at 12 hours. It didn't blow, it simply didn't come on when I turned on the machine (it must have burnt out at the moment the switch was turned on).

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:27 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Almost certainly every day of the week Timothy given the starting current involved.

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:50 pm

Sorry Andrew, I'm not understanding your last response. What did you mean by 'every day of the week'?

Timothy Duncan

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:57 pm

Ha ha ha it tickles me Timothy how I need an instant interpreter for anything American despite living there for more than a year.

Every day of the week simply means if you had to hedge your bets on something happening or being the case....... then this is how it will go.

Probably not a phrase you would even dream of using until you've lived a bit like Hugh & Me !

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:58 pm | Top

#8 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:03 am

Here in the U.S., it depends on what part of the country you're from. We have sayings in the southeastern states of the U.S. that may not be used at all or understood by natives of California or New York. So there can be a communication gap with Americans too, with one another. But thank you for explaining that to me Andrew, because I had never heard it before.

But back on topic, the unexpected burnout of a projection lamp is why I always keep extras on hand. Without our precious bulbs, our machines are absolutely useless!

Timothy Duncan

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:49 pm

The problem with two pin lamps isn't just limited to Elmo, I have had to replace one in my B&H 16mm machine. On Tim's comments on
folks in different parts of America, it reminded me of a conversation I had with a nice American chap who was an Oceanographer
who had just sold a film I was chasing, but was telling me that he and a few mates had been on a holiday travelling into the backwoods
and suddenly realised that they were having difficulty making themselves understood to the locals. I was on the 'phone to Ernie Farino
the co author of Ray Harryhausen's trilogy of books, I realised that if I didn't adopt a "BBC" type voice, he wouldn't understand a word I
uttered.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:52 pm

I haven't had a projector that I have used extensively that I Haven't had to change the lamp holder on so far at some point or another!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:53 pm | Top

#11 by Clyde Miles , Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:03 am

they all fail in the end, i have replaced many on all my 16mm projectors over the years

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Elmo Strikes Again

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor