The Greatest Show on Earth VOL. 2 (1952)

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:56 am

This review is for "The Greatest Show on Earth" VOLUME 2 (1952) 200'/black & white/silent/subtitled reel distributed by Ken Films. Yes, the review is for part 2 of 2. I have both volumes in my collection, but I acquired the second part many, many months ago and am only now seeing it for the first time tonight. This particular reel was purchased brand new in its original shrink wrap. So it was run through a projector for the very first time on September 11, 2015. The original feature was in color and starred many well known personalities.

The reel begins with the breakdown of the circus at night. The circus train is then headed to its next destination. Two men are waiting alongside the tracks in a car to board the train and rob it. After the robbery, a second train is seen coming upon the stopped circus train at full speed unknowingly to its passengers. One of the two robbers has a change of heart and drives the vehicle onto the tracks directly at the oncoming train in an attempt to stop it. Tragically, the train collides with the car and tosses it up into the air before it crashes into the circus train sitting on the tracks. We see the accident in full view. Animals escape their cages and people are tossed about. Both trains are derailed and demolished, but in the end, the show goes on and we see the circus being set up once again. The subtitles were minimal, and despite not having seen the original feature, I had no difficulty understanding what was going on. This was a delightful little reel and a nice follow up to volume one, which I will review separately as time permits.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

RE: The Greatest Show on Earth VOL. 2 (1952)

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Excellent review Tim and great screenshots.I remember seeing this and volume one for sale at Kmart when I was young.I think it's cool when you find new / old stock films and you're the first person to open it.Ken Films most often included those nifty flyers advertising more of their releases.

Douglas Warren

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:26 pm

It's a great film Tim, did it show James Stewatt being arrested after the crash?. Very good screenshots.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Great review and screenshots. Thanks for sharing

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks guys!

Robert,
After the train incident, it shows some people crawling out of the wreckage, and then goes to a scene where the circus performers are in a parade.

When I watched this, it was hard to get the picture focused as well as I would have liked (hence the slightly blurred photos). Not sure if it was the lens or the film. I failed to mention that the editing on this was good. The subtitles were not always so easy to read though.

Doug,
I like getting ahold on something like this that has never been opened. I couldn't pass this one up as I needed volume two, plus it was on sale for 40% off!

Timothy Duncan

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:08 pm

Timothy ***** Star review again there. Keep 'em coming.

David Hardy

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

5 stars definitely. Tim,: James Stewatt is a Dr, wrongly accused of murder, he joins the circus as a clown, because he is in disguise. It was a very fine performance from him.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Mr. Stewart rarely delivers a bad performance. Superb actor

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 349

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:48 am

Robert,
That makes perfect sense now to me, that is, why James Stewart would play a clown in the film. You see him briefly on volume one of this digest. I'll have to review it soon. It's been quite a while since I've watched it.

Vidar,
I haven't seen too many films with Stewart, but he's a great actor in the ones I have seen.

Timothy Duncan

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 am

I think they used Ringling Brothers Circus in the film; I was impressed with Stewart because he made such a good job of being a clown. Not an easy role I wouldn't have thought. I haven't seen a bad performance from him. I think this is perhaps the best of this type of film. John Wayne made one, I think it was called 'Big Top', or maybe 'Circus World'.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:36 am | Top

The Great Escape Scope/800ft.(2 x 400ft joined)
The Hindenburg, U8 2 x 400 mounted.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor