Kid N Hollywood (1933)

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:55 am

Tonight, I took some screenshots of my latest arrival, "Kid N Hollywood" (1933), an early Shirley Temple short on a 200' reel with sound from Blackhawk. I was quite pleased with this print. It was not listed as a Shirley Temple film, and I think that went in my favor for winning it at the starting bid of U.S. $5. In these Baby Burlesks, toddlers are playing adult roles (very innocently, I should add). There were eight of them produced between 1932 and 1933. This particular one, really shows (in my humble opinion) the emerging talents of Temple as a child star. I was happy that my daughter sat down with me and watched this through. It even garnered some laughter.

We then watched an Andy Panda cartoon titled "Knock, Knock" (1940) on a 200' color/sound reel from Universal 8. It was the first appearance ever of cartoon character Woody Woodpecker.

Sorry, I failed to clean the aperture tonight!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Vidar Olavesen
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:57 am | Top

RE: Kid N Hollywood (1933)

#2 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Great screenshots Tim, the Shirley Temple looks an interesting film.

Robert Crewdson

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:50 pm

These early Temple shorts were somewhat similar to the Our Gang/Little Rascals comedies, except the cast consisted entirely of very young children.

Timothy Duncan

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Got only one myself ... Polly-Tix in Washington (wasn't it?)

Personally I prefer Little Rascals

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Yes Vidar, "Polly Tix" is one of those. They don't come close to the entertainment quality of the Little Rascals comedies, but I've always found that they have a certain charm to them. I agree with you though, I prefer the Rascals. The quality on these Blackhawk prints is better than any versions I've seen on unmentionable formats.

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Of the eight Baby Burlesks,the first THE RUNT PAGE is totally unavailable,perhaps a lost film. Six are available in 8 mm sound, KID IN AFRICA, KID IN HOLLYWOOD, GAD RAGS TO RICHES, THE PIE COVERED WAGON, KID'S LAST FIGHT, POLLY-TIX IN WASHINGTON, (I have them all!) And the second, WAR BABIES is available only in silent copies,commonest of which is from Ken. All the others are available from a multitude of distributors, the copies coming from various reissue editions,since they were PD. Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Panayotis A. Carayannis

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks Panayotis! That info is VERY helpful as I was wondering how many of these were available with sound. It's good to know there is another here who enjoys these shorts.

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Amityville Horror/The Eiger Sanction

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor