Bride Of Frankenstein

#1 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:02 am

I am at the moment doing a deal on a 16mm Feature print of The Bride Of Frankenstein.
If all is well and it is up to my standards of acceptable quality after it has been inspected by the seller it will be mine at last.
The purchase of this print will be heralding some closure for me as it looks like I will have most of the prints on my
personal wishlist. My film collecting days could soon be well and truly over.

David Hardy
Last edited Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:03 am | Top

RE: Bride Of Frankenstein

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Oh, no ... Find yourself another rare title to hunt for. Part of the thrill for me

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#3 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Vidar ... Yes I know what you mean but my funds are limited and so is my time on earth. I have recently had a reality check as
to how much time it would take me to go through my entire collection again.
I do have other more primary interests outwith the hobby and I have to find time for those to.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#4 by Deleted User , Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:43 pm

David,

Sounds like a good time to start sharing your acquired prints with the rest of the collecting community

Ole

Last edited Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm | Top

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:36 am

David, I hope your time with us is limitless and that your print of "Bride" is all you expected. As has been said, there is always
that elusive title, even Doug on the 8mm forum, his little thing in his posts states "I think there's room for one more film", which sums up
our hobby, "enjoy what you have and what you can", who said that? me just now, Take care.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:36 am | Top

#6 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks guys I am reviewing the situation.

David Hardy

#7 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:01 pm

Not collecting doesn't mean out of the hobby; I haven't bought a Super 8 film since the mid 80s. My collection won't be as large as many of you, but it would still take me a long time to go through everything. I bought most of what appealed to me at the time. My problem now is limited storage space; it was starting to become a problem with Super 8, but now I have 16mm. It's impossible to say you will never buy another film, as you never know what is going to turn up. I don't have a list of wants, but I do regret when I started collecting 16mm that I only bought films graded as 'Excellent', and not 'Very Good'; I hesitated about buying 'Crossed Swords', made by Errol Flyyn and his own company; when I finally got around to ordering it, it had been sold. It's stated that only one 35mm print exists, which has been restored for digital media.

Robert Crewdson

#8 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 pm

I had a shock this morning to see a funeral procession pass the house, and learn it was someone I went to school with. Like David, I have other interests, so I need to balance my time here with my other hobbies.

Robert Crewdson

#9 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Awesome find Dave! You know, I've never seen this film. I've seen the classic Dracula and the classic Frankenstein but never this one. How did I get to be this age and not see it?

I'm at a standstill with buying more films. The mrs. wants us to get in a better financial situation which means "no more ordering films!". Hopefully, it's just for a few months. I should have enough on hand to do the occasional posts though. Like Robert said, you never know what's going to pop up for sale. Much of what I have now was discovered unintentionally.

Timothy Duncan

#10 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:02 am

I haven't seen it either Tim. So many films that never get an airing on TV. I used to think I had s good knowledge of films, but I see titles turning up all the time that I have never heard of.

Robert Crewdson

#11 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:39 am

Robert,
I'm still discovering films that I really like from DECADES ago. I just discovered one from 1976 that I really like. I wish so badly that these classic films from the early days of moviemaking would get broadcast! It's somewhat of a conspiracy I think. If they did show all of these great old films, then there would be less of a demand for new productions. People would be out of work, etc. Of course, I know many of the young folks only want new crap...and crap is what it is! Sorry, I just HAD to say it!

BTW, the original "Frankenstein" is very good!

Timothy Duncan

#12 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:24 am

I used to own the Castle Films cut down (200' silent) of this movie. It's my favorite of the Frankenstein genre by far. I highly recommend it for any fan of classic Gothic horror.

Douglas Warren

#13 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am

Tim; there are so many old films and classic TV shows, you could watch forever without making anything new. Sometimes I wonder what's the point of films and shows languishing in the archives, they need to be seen.

Robert Crewdson

#14 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:41 am

Robert that's the way I think too. With so much vintage films I have not seen I don't bother much with the newer ones.
Some could say I have my head stuck in the sand and they would be correct. However most of the newer ones I see
are for me absolute CRAP !!! So I will stick with whats already there in the archives. I really like Silent Films.
Of the MODERN FILMS I would say I am more interested in what is known as " WORLD CINEMA " products. They are
brilliant unlike most of the Hollywood fodder that comes around.

David Hardy

#15 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

Timothy you need to see THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN soon. Its the best of the Universal Monsters films.

David Hardy

#16 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:30 pm

I'll second that David, a great film that was actually better than the first one. Ernest Thesiger just walks away with the movie, he is so
camp it is pleasure to see. Parodied to great effect in "Young Frankenstein".The 8mm releases I thoroughly enjoyed, part of the Castle release splices into the Universal 400', but as David says Tim, Robert, you must see this film. A classic in every sense of the word.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:35 pm | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:03 pm

I did have a look at a clip online, not really my type of viewing, though I have seen some horror films. David, you mentioned World Cinema; I have had to change my opinion of Foreign films; I find Russian films very well made; and the films of Louis de Funes (French) would be very popular if they were dubbed into English. It's possible to follow them even if you don't understand the language.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Update on THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN 16mm print Full Length.
Well that was a disappointment the print is very scratched and Reel 2 has white "cinch" marks through the whole reel.
Looks like I will be returning the print.

David Hardy

#19 by Clyde Miles , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 pm

sounds like a dupe dave,

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#20 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm

How much was it, if I am allowed to ask?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Clyde it is a 1979 copy on Fuji stock.
Vidar it cost £ 250.

David Hardy

#22 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Wow, yes I agree. That should be better quality for that price :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 344

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 pm

The image quality has good definition and good contrast that's the sad thing about it.
I don't know if I should get a part refund and keep it as a "gap filler" in the meantime until something better comes along.
SIGH !!!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Hardy

#24 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 am

That is a bit of a let down and no mistake. Rather than loose out altogether on your film David, I would contact the seller, make
your points and try for a reduction in price, better than waiting ages for another print to turn up that might be worse.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#25 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:15 am

Hugh... I was thinking that myself. I don't think there will be a problem with a price reduction as I know the seller well.
This one appears to have slipped through his usual high standards of acceptable quality control.
I have spoken to him and he has given me a few days to either return the print to him for a full refund
or a reduction in asking price that I will be happy with.
Its times like these I feel like packing it all in and going fully unmentionables projection.
Yes I take your point that the next available print may be worse.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bell & Howell lens

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor