It all begins here...

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

My film arrived today so i thought I would share the various stages the print will go through before I deem it good enough to show.
Spielgbergs classic, Poltergeist, arrived this morning on 2x 1200ft Taylor Reels and Can, all looking in very good clean shape I am pleased to add.

Ordinarily, I would like to clean the film before trialing it through my editor but one of the draw backs of using Filmguard I've found is that it is such an efficient lubricant on Polyester film, it does tend to quickly build up on the capstan and roller and will cause some recording wow from slipping only on my editor as these things are solely capstan driven. No such issues when projecting on either my Beaulieu, Bauer or 938 Eumig I am pleased to add as they are all double sprocket driven and contain very large decent capstan rollers keeping Wow as low as 0.2%!

So with the above in mind, I have learned nowadays when first receiving a new print to me, to first check the film through the editor before then cleaning during rewind. Unless the film is full to the rim the Goko does a good job of handling these 1200ft films for both checking and also recording purposes.

I viewed the first couple of hundred feet of the film just to check the introduction condition and see what the quality and recording type is on the film. I am again pleased to report the condition of the beginning of the film as well as the soundtrack were all excellent from viewing the small editor screen. Further verification will of course be necessary on first projection.

The soundtrack on this Kempski print was track one mono only but again I am pleased to say was of a very high quality and the recording level was touching 0db on track one V.U. meter in the louder sections of the intro.
With this, I stopped the film rewound back to the start and began duplicating track one to track two at exactly the same identical recording level. This will provide both back up of the track and something of a stereo effect when played on the projectors in Stereo mode.
Obviously not true stereo but definitely with presence over and above the track one mono set up as per original.

I shall continue to do this for both 1200ft reels before rewinding by hand and cleaning thoroughly with Filmguard. Screenshots to follow here soon hopefully. As you don't get long to edit a thread on here, i may have to begin a different post to display the screenshots and finished artwork and packaging.

The films soundtrack is so good being from laminated stock, this is one film I will not be having to re record in Stereo sync from scratch i am very pleased to say! This duplicated track is more than good enough to enjoy any screening on this film.

at the rewind stage, I will be taking the film off the Taylor reels and placing them on the far superior Elmo Jewel reels. Only fair I'd say for a film of this quality and desirability!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:00 pm | Top

RE: It all begins here...

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Looking forward to those screenshots Andrew! For a print such as that, I can certainly understand taking every precaution before its first showing.

Timothy Duncan

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:37 pm

Standard procedure these days pal, for any print. You live & learn as they say, and I've had plenty of what should be, decent prints, sent to me in all kinds of conditions! Some with staples for splices, some full of Dog Hair etc etc.
Obviously, not all out there value these prints in the manner we all do.

Andrew Woodcock

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Ok now for first viewing then with the Elmo reels and plain white card 1200ft boxes to hand, ready to come in very handy for this print.
First views for me are never anything other than just a casual screening usually on the back of a wall or door just to get an impression of what things are looking like, colour, sound, scratches (or hopefully not), as well as sharpness and of course a first chance to enjoy and remember the film you have just bought and hopefully justifying why you wanted it in the first place!

so, nothing serious, no screen shots at this stage, just a casual daytime screening in broad daylight but just a glimpse at the first run of reel two then onto reel one and then of course the all essential box art.

I was really pleased with the print from first view. When viewing in real life Ha ha, the print is really sharp,(digital camera photos are typically rubbish and these live up to that expectation! lol) has great colour and sound and is in very good nick thank goodness. Yes very very pleased with this one so far!

Attached pictures:
SAM_2697.JPG  

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:18 pm | Top

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:02 pm

Congratulations Andrew! You have succeeded in making me envious (LOL!).

Tom Photiou likes this
Timothy Duncan

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 pm

The intention ALWAYS Duncan is to keep people interested in this crazy but magical wonderful hobby, but certainly never envious. Just enjoy everything you will ever collect.

I got just as much pleasure a week or so ago watching my childhood print of Disney's Greatest Chases in the condition I remembered it in as I ever will with this print or any other for that matter.

It's an infectious hobby and once it bites, it never ever leaves you.

I will post the box covers once completed, then the Actual screen shots in the dark and on a screen ha ha

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:09 pm | Top

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:19 pm

An infectious hobby it certainly is.

Timothy Duncan

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Andrew you are a real professional when it comes to print inspection. I like your methods. Others should pay as much care as you do.

Mats Abelli likes this
David Hardy
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:51 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:36 pm

That's an impressive looking piece of equipment Andrew. I bought all but one of my Super 8 films new, so never saw the need to check them, no splices. I can understand checking used prints. I bought a short 16mm from one dealer, never checked it, then ended up with perf damage, which I managed to repair, so checked everything else I bought from him first before projecting.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Yes indeed Robert. I never thought I'd need an editor or rewind arms first time around in the hobby buying from Derann and the likes.
Back then things were far simpler. You would buy a print from a dealer (no internet back then to have many other options), then you would project it, if it didn't meet expectation, you'd simply send it back (not that I did too often).

Wind the clock forward 25years, the prints I tend to want can be very expensive indeed.
They are ALL pre owned, you have no idea what projector they have been used on or how often they have been screened.
You are GENERALLY finding the prints I like to collect not in the dealers hands so they tend to offered either on e bay or through word of mouth or the forums etc.

You pay your hard earned and until you've screened it entirely your heart is often in your mouth. Yes you can send it back, but as we all know it often involves many hassles.
I will never nowadays project a print before first inspecting it using only the most safest ways of doing so.

This way you know whatever condition the film is in is sincerely the condition it was sent to in.
I recorded track 2 almost immediately on my latest only because I could tell that the film had been very well cared for as I began to view and inspect it. Ordinarily I always do a first full viewing first before then deciding if it needs any work doing to it and how I'd like it spooled etc etc.

Once you've had stapled splices and masking tape splices, you think twice before throwing a print through your treasured machine!

You live and learn as they say.

Andrew Woodcock

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Bloody Hell, I sold mine for about £150.00 , a couple of years ago to someone in the US an excellent unmarked print shown twice, not a favourite of mine,
but I'll bet it was as good on 4x600' and cheaper than this, sold for an Italian Gothic, a 16mm of Bab's Steele in "Castle of Blood".
I hope you enjoy Andrew, the print I had was lovely, good colour and great sound, a nice addition to your library, enjoy, Tobe Hooper's
involvement is far and away better than Spielberg, who has a knack of "schmaltz" to all his films, probably why I sold it, but a great film
non-the-less. Regarding film "splices" with everything bar a bent nail, I have had the odd staple, thankfully now very rare, but it does
help to pay attention.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:24 pm | Top

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:41 pm

The buyer got a bargain then Hugh. Well done to you for letting it out at that price. I've been force to pay over double that for some of the later desireable Derann low fade features. One of the most expensive to date was a mint print of "Speed" in original box, cellophane and original price tag still present. Never been off its original reels and appeared to have absolute minimal use. I myself have only viewed it twice as I really want this one to stay just how I got it, so it only comes out on very special occasions.

Prices, I've found, have rocketed in the recent past few years for the Derann later prints in great condition still. I wish it was like back in the day but sadly with so few prints in this condition now, things just aren't the same as even 2010 when I first got back into the hobby again.
Not unless that is, you either know the seller personally or you just happen to fall very lucky.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 pm | Top

#13 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Andrew, don't sell, you've paid for a great film, keep it 'ol son, these are getting scarce. I am very impressed with your set up.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 pm

As with them all this time around Hugh, I would be very reluctant to ever have to part company with any of the films again. I hope I am never forced to do so.

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Indeed Andrew, I kid you not, I checked on 8MM forum , in #54 " on films for sale", mine went for £120.00, a I won't use "mint", as it has been shown, but a lovely print. mint means to me just, unshown, like coinage, not in circulation, I think this term should be obliterated from film use, MINT IS NOT VIEWED, AT ALL, ON WHATEVER, NON VIEWED IS MINT.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 pm | Top

#16 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Yes Hugh, perhaps the word Mint is incorrectly used by many when describing film (myself included). I shall rephrase the above and say "as good as it comes in this era".

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:14 pm | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:14 am

The only issue I have had with splices is someone using ordinary sellotape which covers the sprocket holes; I have had that twice; it was used to repair a diagonal tear.

Robert Crewdson

#18 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:32 am

I still cant understand why any film collector would not rewind or inspect prints on MANUAL REWIND ARMS.
For me they are a necessary and vital piece of equipment.

David Hardy

#19 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:40 am

Yes I do it now David having learned the hard way. Either using the editor or mainly the Spondon Long Play unit for cleaning as its motorised and it's far easier to do this way.

Super 8 is difficult to see as far as inspection goes just from rewind arms alone, but it will certainly point you to the splices for inspection purposes in case they are not up to scratch so to speak!

It is the way to go if we are all to give our prints and machines the TLC they deserve.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:45 am | Top

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:30 pm

Ok, Back to topic here... covers and boxes all completed now i am pleased to say.
Here they are albeit with a whole load of glare on these photos from the shiny laminated surface due to the unusual sunshine we are experiencing here right now in Manchester lol!

and here are a few others:

I will post back here with the said screenshots when i finally get around to viewing the film properly using a real screen again.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm | Top

#21 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:49 pm

That's very good box art covers you have made there Andrew. Puts a lot of the "pro" made stuff to shame.

David Hardy

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Wherever possible as with Toy Story here, I always try to use the original artwork in the design of these larger boxes. Even the spine art is almost a exact replica of the original Derann spine art with an extra photo added due to the additional size.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:16 pm | Top

#23 by Tom Photiou , Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 pm

Andrew, can i ask if you got it from a dealer or private?

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 512

#24 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Sure you can Tom, you can always ask me anything pal.

Did I get what exactly from a dealer or private?

If you mean Poltergeist Tom, that was private, Toy Story was dealer.
Hope that answers your question Tom.

Andrew Woodcock

#25 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Very impressive cover art for your films Andrew! I like it all very much!

Timothy Duncan

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Projector Reviews & Professional Reports

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor