RE: What are your most recent film purchases?

#551 by Eivind Mork , Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Very good, 30 USD. It says "color shift", but as it is a Marketing film I expect it to be quite red.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#552 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 am

I do not get that, most my Marketing releases are decent to good colour

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#553 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:26 am

Must be a Norway long term ownership thing then Vidar. Get to 15 degrees, they are all on the turn!

You are in one of the very best places on the planet to stand a chance of preserving and suspending the lifetime of your prints with little expense if you so wish.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Eivind Mork
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:35 am | Top

#554 by Eivind Mork , Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:11 am

Also closed the deal on the animation Hoppity goes to town (1941). Super 8, sound, 2x800'. The color is shifted (no idea how much). Yet again at a great price!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#555 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am

They vary Eivind but most have turned now. Hope yours is one of the better ones mate.

Eivind Mork sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#556 by Mats Abelli , Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

I have also made some nice deals, with the same gentleman. Sands of Iwo Jima, Stagecoach, Girls Girls Girls and the Spiral Staircase,full features, Easy street, Blackhawk sound and two trailers told to have good colours (Lady and the Tramp + Sleeping Beauty, hopefully scope prints ). I´m really looking forward to get my package from the USA.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Vidar Olavesen

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#557 by Martin Dew , Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I've just bought my first Derann features The Sound of Music (6 x 600ft Scope) and Those Magnificent Men (5 x 600ft Scope Stereo) from gentleman selling on behalf of a friend who passed away. Both have original boxes, artwork, spools and countdowns, for £100 and £150 respectively. I now finally understand why the Derann prints are so sought after. The titles were not at the top of my list by any means, but I couldn't pass them up. I'm going to spend some time remounting on 800ft Schneider spools, adding long white leaders and tails before considering another purchase!

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, David Skillern and Vidar Olavesen

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#558 by David Skillern , Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Martin,

those are excellent prices - a great find - i paid over double for my copy of the sound of music and at least £230 for those magnificent men

Martin Dew likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#559 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Agreed. You've gotten off on a very sound footing there Martin so far as Super 8mm feature film purchases are concerned.
Both decent titles, both offered to you at a fraction of what you could sell them for if you so wished, and guaranteed to be fade free for many years to come yet.

Well done all around Martin, and nice also to hear that although obtained through very saddening circumstances, the films are still being used, cherished and thoroughly enjoyed, which is by far the most important aspect of what may happen to anyone's collection at such times.

Whenever I have learned of films that I have obtained from people who are sadly no longer with us all, it always makes me feel even more responsible than normal to ensure they are preserved as best as these things can ever possibly be.
I like to think to myself that the previous owners would be happy looking down seeing them all enjoyed but very much maintained well, even more so when they arrive to me in mint condition.
As caretakers of such items, I feel duty bound to continue with their excellent work.

One tip Martin I will add, if I may, unless you intend keeping these films forever, try to avoid cutting into an original 600ft spool of a Derann feature.
This does slightly devalue these things should you ever come to sell them.
1200ft is fine, so is 1800ft, 2400ft or 600ft.
800ft unless it is a 400ft mounted feature, is frowned upon.

However they were originally spooled, try to keep them on reels that multiply out equally in each case to avoid cutting into a film mid reel and adding another unnecessary splice.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Mats Abelli
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 pm | Top

#560 by Michael Lattavo , Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:20 pm

"Whenever I have learned of films that I have obtained from people who are sadly no longer with us all, it always makes me feel even more responsible than normal to ensure they are preserved as best as these things can ever possibly be.
I like to think to myself that the previous owners would be happy looking down seeing them all enjoyed but very much maintained well, even more so when they arrive to me in mint condition.
As caretakers of such items, I feel duty bound to continue with their excellent work."

Boy Andrew, that is a wonderful statement - I couldn't agree more!

Michael Lattavo
Date registered 10.01.2015
ThankYou 42

#561 by Martin Dew , Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Don't worry, Andrew, I'm just mounting each 600ft reel on an 800ft spool. Several of the reels are overflowing, as issued by Derann. Each 800ft Schneider has its own plastic case too. I'll be keeping the original boxes and reels separately stored, so they won't age any further too.

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#562 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Great to hear Martin we are all singing from the very same Hymn Sheet.

Martin Dew likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#563 by David Ollerearnshaw , Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:27 pm

800ft Schneider one on ebay at the moment only £75.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

Martin Dew likes this

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#564 by Martin Dew , Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Ha! Yes I saw that, David. It would be cheaper to get one 3D printed.

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#565 by Tom Photiou , Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Hey all, i think i may have just made my last two purchases for the year unless something special comes up, (Die Hard, Trailers for home alone or/& Happy feet).
I am pleased to announce, and looking forward to, the full feature on 8mm of Poltergeist, flat version. Really looking forward to this one and a a very good price to, i wont divulge it here as it would be unfair on the seller. This is a red fox print in its original box and 600ft spools. Receiving in June.

Also, drum roll,
My very best ebay purchase to date, The full feature, in absolutely mint condition of Cross of Iron for just £200. It is a stunning print, not a mark or splice anywhere to be seen & no fade at all. Its a flat version but masked perfectly for widescreen. We will be viewing this one on Wednesday and will pop a review on here with a few screen shots. I say only £200 as the condition of it has to be seen to be believed, & the way 8mm feature prices are going ridiculous to get this quality on film double the size of 8 is in my mind a bargain, the seller also included a list of other titles which i have to say if i could afford more i would buy some but i have to get a grip and some counselling now to stop my spending urges.

We did say we were not going to get too big on 16 due to its size but we now have (in our opinion) four good titles, Kidnapped, (reviewed on here) in scope, Cromwell, also reviewed here, Pork Chop Hill, (ditto),
Cross of iron, (obviously) and All that Jazz plus some TV items. I think one or two really good prints should do us now and preferably in scope as unlike the 8mm, there appears to be no sharpness of image lost.
So hopefully Mr Guest may have some new titles for us later in the year is there as good as Kidnapped in both price and quality its difficult to turn it down.

Have i told anyone i'm after Die Hard?

Eivind Mork likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.14.2017 | Top

#566 by Eivind Mork , Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

Congratulations, Tom! It is so cool to close deals like that. I can live very long on one good deal :-)

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
ThankYou 405

#567 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am

Tom it's brilliant news you have managed to land a print of Poltergeist. It's a great classic horror film and a very good print indeed. I am sure you'll be delighted with it when it arrives and I for one, eagerly await the resulting screenshots.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#568 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu May 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Got a package from Mr. Higgins

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#569 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 18, 2017 3:18 pm

That's quite a package Vidar! Plenty of viewing time there to catch up with.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock

#570 by David Alligan , Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Just got a few days ago 4ooft Silver Streak, 400ft Mickey Mouse The First 50 Years, 200ft Aristocats Meet Scat Cat

If anyone can help me in telling me how I can put some screen shots of The Aristocats Meet Scat Cat on the forum

waiting to arrive is the 2 x 400ft Singin In The Rain

Vidar Olavesen likes this
David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 05.18.2017 | Top

#571 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu May 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Got a Smart phone? If so, log onto forum, attach picture, choose take picture, your camera should come up, snap when a decent picture is on screen. Sometimes they do not get right, just retake it Neil you get a decent one. You can zoom with your fingers on these cameras by pinching fingers zoom in or spreading fingers from middle of screen to zoom out (might be vice versa)

Hope to see some pictures. My best results I get from filming with my Nikon D3200 and taking snaps with Power Director 10, but VLC Video LAN is free to download and will do the same job

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#572 by David Skillern , Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Is that the 400ft of Assault or the 4x400ft - I've got the 4x400ft of this title and its a great little 1970's suspense movie

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#573 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Are you photographing it with a digital camera or a smart phone David?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm | Top

#574 by David Skillern , Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 pm

ive just received a new lens for my bell and howell 16mm and a 400ft copy of Raiders of the Lost Art

Eivind Mork likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

#575 by David Skillern , Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm

ARK

David Skillern  
David Skillern
ThankYou 71

Nostalgia 😁👍
Another funny, Mickey Mouse, Runaway brain

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor