What...Indians? (1966)

#1 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:25 am

"What...Indians?" is actually an extract from "Texas Across the River" (1966). This review is for the 200'/silent/subtitled reel distributed by Universal 8. It was also available on Castle Films prior to the Universal name change. The running time is 8:09 at 24 FPS. I bought this at the selling price of U.S. $5.99 (free shipping too). The feature, starring Dean Martin, was originally released in color but this is a black and white extract from the original film. The picture was a bit grainy as you can see in the screenshots below, but the subtitles are nice and big, therefore very easy to read in a split second. I have to say that this is my favorite silent/subtitled comedy as this brand of good clean humor is just my cup of tea. There are a lot of sight gags, as well as humorous (and unrealistic) dialogue amongst the Indian tribe. The reel begins with a few opening credits. Then we see a tribe of Indians looking down upon a settlement of white men. The Indian chief has blonde hair (which is one of the first visual jokes seen)! The chief commands his son to fight a white man in order to prove himself worthy of being chief himself one day. The son knocks the white man off of his horse and is swinging an ax at the top of his head while still upon his own horse (I found this ridiculous...and HILARIOUS)! They later engage in hand to hand combat. The way the white man easily gets the best of the chief's son (repeatedly I might add) is funny to me too. The settlers spot the tribe upon a hill and get the wagons in place to set up barricades. The son of the chief is ordered to shoot a flaming arrow into the settlement to signal attack. He is about as skilled with a bow and arrow as I would be! We see some silly combat between the settlers and the tribe (interspersed with witty and funny dialogue). Then a herd of steer break out of a fence and head towards the tribe. The chief yells "Make for the hills!", before the entire tribe turns around on their horses to escape from the herd. Lastly, a Calvary rushes toward the settlement in the defense of the white men as the tribe is heading in their direction. They completely bypass one another and the reel ends shortly after. It's actually a lot funnier in my opinion than what I can describe in a written review. The first time I watched it was early on a Sunday morning. The house was very quiet, I was the only one up, and I was in the living room laughing at the sight gags more than anything. I don't want to give too much away, but the reel makes me want to see the feature someday.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:34 am | Top

RE: What...Indians? (1966)

#2 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 am

Really excellent review Tim.I remember this movie fondly and I do recall my family and I seeing it at the drive-in back in the 1960's. I think you'll really enjoy the full feature and Joey Bishop as Dean Martin's Indian sidekick just about steals the show.

Douglas Warren

#3 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:15 am

Thanks Doug!
I do want to see this in it's entirety. The Indian sidekick (Bishop) is seen in this reel and one of his funny moments was him making a statement to Dean Martin and giving him a big exagerrated wink. I don't know why I found that so funny but I did!

Timothy Duncan

#4 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:31 am

Another great review Timothy. I like the fact you have reviewed an 8mm mute edition with subtitles and are not biased towards
reviewing only sound editions. I really like the screenshots that accompany the reviews. Keep 'em coming.

David Hardy

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you Dave. I thought that this was one that deserved a review. I had to run it twice this afternoon. Once to get screen shots, and once to actually watch the movie in order to write the review. I have a few other 200' reels that will get reviewed eventually.

Timothy Duncan

War of the Worlds 3 x 400ft colour sound
When Worlds Collide 3 x 400 version. (on 1 x 800ft spool)

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor