Tips for beginners?

#1 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 am

Should we maybe make this thread as a starting point for new users of 8mm projectors?

What they need, how to use and so on?

Can start with the obvious, a projector and film. A tip here, NEVER use sound films in a silent machine. Can (or probably will) damage the film.

A splicer is a good thing to have, in case a film breaks. There's CIR splicers (more expensive, but very good), for example Kodak Presstape splicers (tapes still available) or a cement splicer

A screen ... Can be just about anything of course, but give us your recommendations. I use a motorized screen at about 100", also have a few tripod type portable ones, but they're a bit small

Anything else guys?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 332

RE: Tips for beginners?

#2 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 am

Film damage usually occurs in the first few feet of film and more often while loading the film into an automatic threading machine. I highly recommend adding at least three feet of leader to the beginning of the film. Damaged leader can always be replaced, but damaged film is irreversible and oft times will have to be cut out (OUCH!). It will also enable you to view the reel from the beginning as opposed to midways into the opening titles, because there is a fair amount of distance from the loading point, through the film path, and onto the take-up reel. Some of my favorite films have been saved because there was leader there when the film jammed while loading.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Timothy Duncan

#3 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am

If possible,have a spare bulb or two available for your most often used projector.Nothing like being in the middle of a movie and having the bulb burn out!

Douglas Warren

#4 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:53 am

PROJECTOR BULBS:
Go ahead and have at least one spare bulb that is of your machine's specifications. Never use a bulb incompatible with your machine as this can cause a bulb to explode and damage the machine, or cause the machine to be a fire hazard, or even cause personal injury. My best (really only) source for spare bulbs has been eBay, as many types of projector bulbs haven't been manufactured in decades. Yes, you may get a NOS (new-old stock) bulb in a box that looks like it was printed in the 1970's or earlier. Never turn a machine off and on repeatedly as this can cause your bulb to blow prematurely (especially when it is still hot). Handle your bulbs with care as they are quite fragile. I could go on and on concerning this subject...

Timothy Duncan

#5 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:55 am

LOL Doug! Great minds do think alike as we posted our ideas at the same time!

Timothy Duncan

#6 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 am

Yes indeed!Also,it doesn't hurt to have some spare empty reels back.Sometimes the reels that used prints arrive on can suffer from warping due to heat,poor storage,etc. If that's the case I transfer my film to a fresh reel and toss the warped one out.

Douglas Warren
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:12 am | Top

#7 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:52 am

Yes indeed Doug. I've had to replace reels before.

Make sure that you know whether your machine is a standard/regular 8mm or a super 8mm machine, so that you purchase and load the correct films into the correct machine. Of course if it's a dual 8 machine, it will accommodate both types.

Get familiar with how to take the back cover off of your projector, and study its inner components. Gears may need a little grease, or you may have a belt that needs replacing. In some cases, you can take the old belt to a hardware store and get an o-ring that is the same size to replace it.

Timothy Duncan

#8 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

Nice one guys. Good post. Saves me the bother. hahahaha !

David Hardy

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 pm

You should let your machine cool down before moving it, as this can damage the bulb.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

When this is more of less done, I'll compile all the info into an information page. Superb job, always something one doesn't think about when you're used to setting it up. :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 332

#11 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 pm

I advise cleaning the film gate once you're done projecting your movies for the day.Let the bulb cool down and use compressed air in a can and a proper brush as well.Most projectors came with this accessory.If your machine doesn't have a proper case,you might consider keeping it covered during down times to prevent dust build up.

Douglas Warren

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm

I have started compiling it, so please reply to this one, not the new one. Do we need a beginners 9.5mm, 16mm and so on?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 332

#13 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Wouldn't be a bad idea on the 16mm, as I could at some point make the leap into that (LOL)! But I'm sure the same rules would apply to that gage.

Timothy Duncan

#14 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Good suggestion Timothy.

Robert Crewdson

#15 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 pm

What a GREAT thread, sensible, there are some things there that not only beginners should take on board, the leader on film being a must. Again top marks for a super idea.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 pm

What do you guys clean the film gate with? And how? Someone told me they put cloth with a cleaning solution onto the film and ran it through. The Eumig I was asking about, is a bit closed to get it all cleaned (soundhead was the part in need of cleaning)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 332

#17 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi Vidar, the only thing I have ever cleaned proj. gates, and soundheads etc is Methylated Spirit, or rubbing alcohol as our American friends call it. It is safe, removes grease etc, for the difficult parts, you know on some of the Eumigs, even the old Mark "S" jobs, there
is a channel that needs a clean, a piece of thin wood with a lens tissue attached soaked in meths, does the job, it won't affect plastic
and is an excellent degreaserand cleans your soundheads. My late Father used to get me Petroleum Ether that used to be great for soundhead cleaning too.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#18 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:53 pm

The aperture needs cleaning out as well as the gate. Just a small amount of lint can show up along the edges of the frame during projection. I have to go in from behind to clean mine on one machine with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. I first have to remove the bulb to get to it but every machine is different. If the lens swings out, as my older machines do, i can easily clean it from the front. The lint can come from a dirty film as well as dirt and dust that settles on the machine.

Timothy Duncan

#19 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:00 pm

This is NOT a TIP so don't try it : For really bunged up and filthy film gate apertures use some steel wool followed with a once over
with a hard steel wire brush ... That will shift it !!! Hahaha !!! DONT TRY IT !!!

David Hardy

#20 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Joking aside if you don't have one already buy a Tape Head De-Magnetiser. Use now and again on the soundhead for cleaner sound quality.

David Hardy

#21 by Timothy Duncan ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 pm

LOL Dave!

Timothy Duncan
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:27 pm | Top

#22 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:34 am

Here's one for us veterans as well, GATE BRUSHES, don't just accept these as safe for your projectors, they are not! Those little twisted
wire jobs that resemble miniature flue brushes, can and will scratch your film gates and guides, you can cover the end of them with bit of molten plastic, far better to use a make up brush or a new 1/2 inch or one inch paint brush to clean the film gate etc.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:35 am | Top

#23 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:51 pm

I used to use a gate brush Hugh; now I tend to use a white cloth. Somewhere I have a small length of film that was sold by a Devon company with the name of Seccombe, one side was abrasive, and the other side was smooth, you were supposed to run both sides through the projector, one side was for cleaning the soundhead, and the other side for cleaning the film path.

Robert Crewdson

#24 by Deleted User , Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:43 pm

Robert,
Was that the same as Protect-A-Print
As I got some on the start of some films I bought 2 nd hand.

Tony Laing

#25 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:29 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Protect-a Print leader was best avoided due to its abrasive qualities. You work it out but I threw mine out that I found spliced to some second hand 8mm prints I bought.

David Hardy

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
CARTOONS.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor