where are the film lovers?

#1 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Surely someone is screening a film somewhere, come on lads, we want to know, don't keep it to yourselves, this is a
film forum after all.

Hugh Thompson Scott

RE: where are the film lovers?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:39 pm

One thing I could say about that ... Not in the 8mm forum. They are so insistent that digital is okay and film and movie lover is the same. To me, it's not. The way a movie get projected is important to me. And film is the only way to do it with the magic still present.

Getting really silly in there and I see more and more peple I thought was loving the films and the media turn to defend digital. I never said don't do digital to anyone, I do sometimes too, but I am not getting the magic feeling. A few still has an edge towards film, wish they'd join us here.

Jose Artiles likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

#3 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Vidar, I know just what you mean, I have paid in my time silly prices for an off colour print, just so I can show it on a screen,
the projector ticking away in the background, an odd line or splice, just adds to it.I think I mentioned on one of the other forums,
that one of the films I saw as a school lad, was "The Curse of the Faceless Man" in the "Queen's Cinema" in Whitehaven, demolished to
make way for a bloody Safeway supermarket, anyway I digress, it was full of splices, jumps in dialogue, action, and I LOVED it. I was telling Robert that when as a youngster, we planned, my mates and I, to steal the 35mm print of "One Million Years B.C.",from the same cinema, so in love with this film were we, alas I think I'm the last man standing from our trio.
Back to Digi, it is as common as soil, our interest in film now borders on antique, who cares, I have said it before and I'll say it again,
Enjoy your films while you can, tomorrow may not come, enjoy the now, that special feeling of seeing that title, even if off colour,
or splicey, is the proper way to see your film, the "Curse of the Faceless Man" has a lot to answer for, as far as I'm concerned.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm | Top

#4 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 pm

I've shown this before elsewhere, but some may not have seen it. I had the DVD about 8 years, then a 16mm copy comes up, and I want it. I must be a real film lover; I didn't need it, but wanted it. now I feel I really own a copy of the film. Don't you just love handling those large reels, and rewinding afterwards. MAGIC.

Robert Crewdson

#5 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Exactly the point Robert, one feels though the print is truly "nailed" when that copy is on film.
I loved George Sanders in this, christened by my Dad as "The King of the Slinks", a more worthy crown he couldn't wish for, no doubt.
A very good film that I enjoyed at bedtime thanks to Roberts kindness, my sword arm was twitching all night.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:10 pm | Top

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Shame that George committed suicide.

Robert Crewdson

#7 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:16 pm

It is a shame, a true star of the screen, I hated him in " Monte Cristo", but that was his stock I trade, He was also a swine in" Samson and
Delilah", he gave it class, although I did like Delilah, played by the gorgeous Hedy Lamarr, who was also a very clever lady in radar science, a truly remarkable lady. Anyway....... Come on you lads, what the hell have you been watching on film over the weekend?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#8 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Well, I posted my viewings. :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#9 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Come on Guys, what are those films you've been watching over the last days?

Hugh Thompson Scott

#10 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I watched Universal 8's "Jesus Christ Superstar" (digest) and my "Sky King" episode (600' reel) the other day. My "Jesus Christ Superstar" copy is so beat up (and horribly faded / washed out color) that I think it was actually filmed during Christ's time...lol. Despite that my copy ran trouble free and the songs are good.

Douglas Warren

#11 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Love that crack Doug ,it appeals to my sense of humour on "Superstar", but thanks for response to the request. I have numerous
films from that period without fade, was it bought recently?

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Hugh Thompson Scott

#12 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

I have that Jesus Christ Superstar too. Think mine was decent condition, but didn't like the film too much. Will maybe rewatch it tomorrow. Paid only 2.50 GBP for it though

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#13 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Hugh,
My copy is an ex-library one (Toronto if I recall correctly) and it has indeed seen a lot of viewings. My copy of "The Great Waldo Pepper" from the same era still maintains good color.I guess it depends on how the film was stored among other factors. Maybe one day I'll find a copy of "Jesus Christ Superstar" with less color fading. I'm just thankful that Castle / Universal Films didn't go down the horrid narration route like Columbia (shudders!) and Ken Films did.

Douglas Warren

#14 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Vidar,
Jesus Christ Superstar is indeed an odd musical,even by musical standards.It oozes 1970's when viewed,especially the title track number.

Douglas Warren

#15 by Clyde Miles , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 pm

watched in my cinema last night with my eldest son, 'the suspect' 1944 universal 16mm print staring charles laughton. good print a little bit grainy, complete from beginning to end. laughton is fascinating on screen, his facial expressions are a delight.

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#16 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Sounds nice. Do you have the possibility for screenshots? If so, we love to see :-)

Is your son interested or just watching with you to make you happy? ;-) My son said he liked it at first, but was probably more to not make me sad :-( He used it for a few weeks, then nothing. Oh, well, World of Warcraft won this one, but I am still loving my film shows

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#17 by Clyde Miles , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:33 pm

vidar, he loves my cinema, the lighting, seating, and most of all the smell of film.we both sit in there and drink beer and smoke, and enjoy

Clyde Miles
ThankYou 19

#18 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Sounds great ... (except for drinking and smoking ;-) I do not do either)

Smell of film, sound of projector, the light ... Magic atmosphere

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#19 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Dougs film "Jesus Christ Superstar" was a rhythm I took up laying bricks would you believe, although "Wanderin' Star" wasn't as popular,
and me a heavy metal, prog rock man, what the hell was I on? Clyde, I don't smoke but keep the beer comin'.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:48 pm | Top

#20 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 pm

On talk of music, I am a metal man myself and would have loved some films with for example Thin Lizzy. Are there much music films around?

I assume (know) In Flames, Dragonforce and Megadeth is out of the question :-)

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#21 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:13 am

I don't know that film Clyde, but anything with Charles Laughton in is worth watching.

Robert Crewdson

#22 by Clyde Miles , Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:27 am

a couple of times in the film you can hear his yorkshire accent
t

Clyde Miles
ThankYou 19

#23 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:42 am

I cant screen a bloody thing at the moment as my home cinema has been completely dismantled. Stuff is still everywhere.
Still I suppose I could always set up a projector and screen in one of the other rooms . hahahaha !!!

David Hardy

#24 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:51 am

I don't allow drinking or smoking during film shows or any other time. I gave it up along with Metal Music due to health and financial reasons.

David Hardy

#25 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Was the film 'Hobson's Choice' set in Lancashire or Yorkshire?

Vidar, there were a lot of music films around, but I couldn't tell you if there was anything of 'Thin Lizzy'.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bell & Howell TQ1, so many variations.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor