Rancho Notorious.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I bought this at a time that Super 8 was in trouble due to the popularity of VHS. I think it had possibly been discontinued. This film along with some other Heritage Film releases from the Mountain Catalogue, was being offered at £19.99 instead of the usual £40. I hadn't seen the film before, but knew it was recognised as a classic. Soundtrack is good and clear, but like my previous post, I wasn't too happy about sharpness. I had always assumed that prints would be taken from an original negative, I am wondering if these were taken from other prints, as the pre-print material is worn, including sprocket wear, and even a repaired diagonal tear showed up on screen. Anyway, it's a great western, full length, on four very full reels, and I am glad to own it.

Robert Crewdson

RE: Rancho Notorious.

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Is it full length on 4 reels? I have from Heritage a 4x400' Run of the Arrow, but it's not full by far. Should be 89 minutes and 4x20 min. which I think would be a packed 400' would miss a reel. Unless it's different stock?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

Last edited 08.10.2015 | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:28 pm

I think the running time is 79 minutes, the reels are full, and reel four is almost full to overflowing.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Chances are boys, if it was on std 8mm, it would be nearer the running time, there was a period that the powers that be,
cut the running times from 70 mins to 60 mins, they did this with " Destination Inner Space", drastically cut down, no doubt with other
films. I Had a print on b/w that was way different to the colour print I later bought, loads of scene missing. Typical of Portland at the time.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:00 pm | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

One of the things I didn't like about Super 8, cutting out a few minutes, I think even Derann did that, when there was room on the reel to spare. At least we had Powell and DCR who released full length.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:39 pm

A sad fact of our small gauge collecting is the penny pinching that went on, no proper titles, letraset jobs, no end titles, nudity removed,
a fine music score cut off before it has even begun. In the case of "Rancho Notorious", I watched it years ago on BBC2 I think, now I must state, I am a big fan of the Italian or Euro western, but I thoroughly enjoyed this film, secret hideouts, gun play and Marlene Dietrich, a
film that is very good, like Joan Crawford in "Johnny Guitar", a nice change to see the girls get top billing, no worse than my pin up
Raquel Welch in "Hannie Caulder", great entertainment from the ladies.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:49 pm | Top

#7 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Most films released had to be cut due to conditions of contract imposed by the Distributor / Owner of rights.

David Hardy

#8 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:34 pm

True David, I appreciate that, but to see the travesties of some releases makes one think, what was the point? Marketing Films "For A Few Dollars More", is bad, the first part is a time waster, the second is rushed, Indio, the Mexican Bandit, has done no wrong according to the German editor, the first time viewer of this film would think Clint & Lee Van Cleef are on the same plane as the other main protagonist
the " settling of accounts" is cut mid score, when redubbing, I added the final notes to give an end to the music, surely this type of hap hazard editing is not called for, consider the tight contract that Derek Simmonds was enrolled on the UA releases, but thanks to one Keith Wilton, their contract of self contained 400's was sorted by Keith's separate instructions on edit. I honestly think that a lot of these
films were "chucked out", sloppy edits, etc, because that was the only option of viewing in the home, take it or leave it. My view, any others?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:35 pm | Top

#9 by Panayotis A. Carayannis ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am

All those Mountain etc features were released in 4x400 at a maximum running time of 70 minutes.THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE (72 mins) is missing about two minutes. Shorter Bs ( TIGER FANGS,BUFFALLO BILL IN TOMAHAWK TERRITORY,GAS HOUSE KIDS etc) are complete. Longer As (KING KONG,MACBETH,RUN OF THE ARROW,THE LAST COMMAND etc) ,were originally issued complete in 6x400 and shortly after,reduced in 4x400, and also in b/w,(the color ones). Of course,the complete versions are rarer today.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Last edited Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:14 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Jesus Christ Superstar and For Pete's Sake

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor