RE: Whats your favourite 8mm film projector and why ?

#26 by Douglas Warren ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:26 pm

I have a Copal CP-Sound 402 Super-8 projector that I'm very fond of.It came to me in need of much work,but the effort was worth it. It's built very well (quite heavy) and for a Super-8 machine,has very good sound without needing an external speaker.I think with proper care it last for many years.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Douglas Warren

#27 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Even if sound is good from a projector, I still prefer an external one to get sound from the front. Have mine under the screen

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 350

Last edited 08.14.2015 | Top

#28 by David Hardy ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:33 pm

You should always have the speaker beside the screen. The speaker in the projector is only meant to be used as a MONITOR !
Better still connect your projector sound output to a dedicated external amplifier for more punch and volume.

David Hardy

#29 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Started with Elmo ST1200 M/O that was my first, changed to the GS1200 later and sold the ST wish I hadn't.

I now own

GS1200 £650
Fumeo 9139 Bloody expensive
ST1200 £99

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#30 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:28 pm

I hope to get a Fumeo myself sometime. GS-1200 I have is too picky and suffers from a lot of unstable picture problems

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#31 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:34 pm

My GS needs a service soon, sound problem. The ST too should really have one too. The Fumeo is good

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#32 by Clyde Miles , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:36 pm

kevin brown in nottingham is the man, has serviced many of my projectors in the last ten years, worth every penny

Clyde Miles
Date registered 08.09.2015
home: bromsgrove, worcs, uk
ThankYou 19

#33 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Is he better than Mr. Elmo you mean? Mr. Parsons the man fixing my GS

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#34 by Deleted User , Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:11 pm

My Favourite is the
Bel & Howell TCT Super 8 mm twin track sound Projector
Which can play Stereo sound or twin tracks Mono
Through the Stereo amp.

One good feature is the economy switch on the lamp
Which increases the life of the lamp by reducing the light output.

Tony Laing

Last edited Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 pm | Top

#35 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:33 pm

I always have it on high. My bulbs not that expensive, so more light, better experience for me

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#36 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 pm

I used to think about buying the external speaker that Eumig made for their projectors, after a while you get used to the sound coming from behind you rather than in front. The B&H TQ models have an unusual speaker socket; there are connectors that allow you to connect an ordinary 2 pin connector to these; I tried Gordon Ogbourne, but he couldn't get any, and CHC said they had a box of them, but couldn't remember where they were. I never heard back.

Robert Crewdson

#37 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:08 pm

Is the speaker socket B&H TQ specific to them? My Elf's use a mono 1/4" jack plug

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#38 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Is it the same as Elmo use? One round small pin and a wide one?

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 350

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

I think it does have a phono socket, that's for the microphone. No Vidar, the speaker socket is different, there was a special adaptor where you could connect to the type you mention, one round pin and one flat, that's the usual type of speaker connection. Why the more modern B&H had to be different I don't know. I'll have to try and photograph it.

Robert Crewdson

#40 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm

This is the speaker connection on the TQ models.

Robert Crewdson

#41 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Could they be like the XLR Pro connectors? Must say I've never liked the DIN loudspeaker plugs or any of that type 5 pin 7 pins, also thought the SCART plugs were poor and badly thought out. The RCA type always seemed to offer better electrical continuity, as did the mono 1/4" jack plug.

Back to projectors the Fumeo if it was stereo would be the perfect one. I like the GS for its recording although now it would be easier using computer.

David Ollerearnshaw
ThankYou 61

#42 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 pm

I have only two favourites as anyone who knows me will testify , The Bauer T610 and The Beaulieu 708El CD Stereo. Why? Dare I say because I believe they are the best for my needs in the home environment. I am also a big fan of the Eumig S938 for all other tasks except re recording purposes, which I tend to do quite a lot of.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Alan Gouger
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:51 pm | Top

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:50 pm

And here are my other favourites in action!

Attached pictures:
SAM_1563.JPG  

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:57 pm | Top

#44 by John Guthrie , Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:26 am

I have the following:

Super8
Beaulieu 708 EL, I like the reel size and light output
Braun Visacustic 2000 with the matching separate control unit (Steuergerat) and stereo extension speakers, nice and compact good light output and the same type of gate as the Beaulieu

Std8
Silma 240S Had one many years ago when it was first made and luckily got one here or a reasonable price, good light output 12v 100w

Have been looking for the Bauer T610 & Eumig S940 any thought on these?

The availability of good projectors in Australia is rather limited

Regards
John
Perth Western Australia

John Guthrie  
John Guthrie
Date registered 10.24.2015
home: Perth , Western Australia
ThankYou 15

#45 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:08 am

John, you have impeccable taste in Super 8mm projection equipment!
I have the S938 not the 940 and love the machine.

It's a very quiet non scratching very gentle machine that creates wonderful sound from its very advanced sound section.

I wouldn't be too interested in trying to purchase a 940 these days for the simple reason of the now obsolete Motorola chipset that controls these machines in its entirety. If this fails now, and they do, the projector is rendered useless and cannot even be used for basic functions.

The 938 nowadays is the better option I'd say if you can find one as this has no electronic parts in it which cannot still be found.

As for the Bauer T610...find a good one and IMHO, you have simply the finest, most refined and reliably complex super 8mm Projector that exists.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:17 am | Top

#46 by Tom Photiou , Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Easy one for me this. The. Elmo ST1200HD M&O hands down.
Why? For me well over 30 years of reliability, ease of film removal,separate lamp switch, ease of repairs, superb sound,one of the best in 8mm projectors magnetic and optical sound playback.,solid construction, I spend more time watching films than repairing the projector() very hard wearing sound. Head,

I have steered away with other makes. the bauer,very quite,packed with recording facilities etc, a bell and Howell which put a green tramline in a new print, a eumig 940 which suffered the same problems in the crappy cheap jack slider switches as my t610, a minolta many years ago,nothing but problems so (for us) its the elmo,more of these around than any other, and also the eumig 810,822 sonomatic,these little eumigs are pretty good for there prices, and although the st1200hd isn't the be all and end all we have three and cannot complain in well over 30 years, and don't forget these sturdy machines are are very reasonably priced,I,d love a fumeo 9119 but look at the price,if I could find one. My recent venture with the bauer could well have turned into a £430 disaster if I hadn't put that stereo film on.The warranty would have run out and it would have been a very expensive error. It went back for a repair and came back with the same switch fault and after returning for a refund I was told the problem was still in the switch, so god knows why after two weeks they still couldn't fix it, it's a nice machine but far too fragile and complex for showing films but tops if your doing a lot of recording work.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 552

Last edited 10.24.2015 | Top

#47 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:01 pm

But it didn't though Tom did it. Simply a free trial in the end albeit with the hassles of sending it back twice.

I ran my 1200 last night also Tom you'll be pleased to hear and I was very pleased with its performance overall on the night considering I hadn't used it in around six months.

The 1200's are very well made robust models and will be around the longest along with similarly constructed models like the Fumeos and hopefully the Beaulieu range.

The Elmo machines have one major advantage over nearly all others in the use of the Sendust alloy head. Fantastic magnetic head,no doubt about that!

The GS1200 and Braun Visacoustic 2000 provide the easiest recordings by having the in built sync pulse facility.
All other D.C. electronically controlled machines rely on YOU having to match IT whilst recording.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Happy birthday to Super 8

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor