RE: What's a reasonable price for a good print in your country?

#26 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:40 pm

LOVE the cheeky little sodpot, I think Vidar resembles our own little treasure in Gt. Britain, Christopher Biggins, beloved
TV celeb, but star in" Rocky Horror Picture Show", a "dead ringer" to me.

Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!
Hugh Thompson Scott

#27 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Blush

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:47 pm

I suppose it very much depends on what print and in what condition. I know that is stating the obvious but here in the UK, I have seen Super 8mm 4x 600ft feature films sell from £30 - almost £1100 depending on title and condition. Quite a variation for one film!

Andrew Woodcock

#29 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Sure, I can see that Star Wars probably never be cheap again, but is it worth 1000 GBP? I don't think so, even if I love the film. I think about 300 GBP for Alien is what I'd stretch to, but not most titles. I just had someone offer me 4 films, I think two 50' and two 200' silent B&W fairly common titles (Chaplin, Donald) ... He wanted 100 GBP, but could drop to 50 GBP ... What we usually pay for those at auction is about .50-1 GBP or so. I politely told him, no thanks. Some people think it's made of gold (It's not even silver anymore, unless it's nitrate or am I wrong?)

I do think Foster, CHC is just at the point where I think it's too much. 25% less and maybe I'd buy some more from them. Usually pick up the 30 GBP 16mm features from them

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#30 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:57 pm

True enough Andrew, but I have seen them suddenly take off, like someone is possessed, many a time for a faded 16mm print!!
I know, its usually a favourite film....... mine!!! I have sold a lot of nice quality stuff on forum in the last few years for reasonable prices,
but on ebay, it just goes mad.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:58 pm | Top

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 pm

It does indeed Hugh and sadly, whether we like or not, that's where a lot of prints get sold nowadays.

Great if you're the seller, not so good if you are looking to buy. Anyone new to the hobby must be positively deflated inside a month looking at some of the prices these days.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:33 pm | Top

#32 by Tom Photiou , Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:12 am

the most we paid for 16mm features is £99. we have two titles for this price, (99 each), the first is an excellent colour feature print of Cromwell, just a few marks here and there and also the brilliant Bob Fosse film about himself called all that jazz. this one has fade but the music and dance sequences are superb especially the final reel featuring bye bye life. Roy Scheider should have won the oscar that year.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#33 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:18 am

That 'Cromwell' is a great film Tom. It would have to be special for me to go above £100 for a 16mm print.

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:19 am | Top

#34 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 am

How long is a piece of string? What is a reasonable price? The most I paid for 16mm was £500.00 for "Zulu", £300.00 each for "Enter the Dragon" & "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" , the same for "The Blood Demon" & " Black Sunday", these are either IBs or Agfa, and B/W originals. The least paid being " How to steal A Million" and "Dragoon Wells Massacre ", which were about £25.00 with a bit of fade, the other titles range from £75.00 - £250.00.00. It all depends on what titles are important to you, I have been fortunate, in that when the
titles appeared, I quickly seized them. Therefore in the present climate of collectors and ebay, be prepared to pay anything for even
a fading print, if the title is good, expect to pay for it, that has been my experience anyway.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#35 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am

Feeling Norway is getting better and better. Well, Sweden and Denmark should be included too. Getting quite good deals here. eBay is losing it for me. Sometimes it's just ridiculous. My cheapest print was a Bud Spencer, Terrence Hill 16mm for about a pound. Most expensive was Raiders of the Lost Ark Super 8 feature in scope and stereo. Paid 600 dollars for that.

Vidar Olavesen
ThankYou 348

#36 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I am envious Vidar, in your Country, it must be fantastic to pick up films for virtually no money, here in Europe and USA, prices
can be steep. My own view on 8mm, is simply that the gauge is dead, there are few who are willing to pay outlandish prices for
titles that are not on the best of stocks, I'd go so far as to say, rubbish film stock, never mind polyestar, acetate stock from years
ago, was never as brittle as this stuff the labs are "palming off" onto collectors. I mentioned this on another forum, but was met
with no response, it doesn't pay to be a dissenter, only say good things while being took for mugs buying stuff from Germany that
behaves like stock from the 1920's, snapping at a moments notice, the poly prints with no sound stripe, if this hobby survives at
all, it won't be through new titles. I notice "Capt. America" didn't gather any dust in one person's collection, no sooner bought than
up for sale on ebay. Paying outlandish prices for film is bad enough, but buying stuff that would have been "white box" specials
from Derann, at outrageous prices just seems silly.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#37 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:11 pm

What is a reasonable selling price?; what is a reasonable buying price?; my last two B&W features both were under £40, which I think is good. But to sell at these prices means that the original owner never got much from the dealer.

Robert Crewdson

#38 by Hugh Thompson Scott ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Its all relative Robert, one man's meat etc, at least on the larger gauges, quality is more or less uniform, fade being "the spectre at the feast", but if a rare musical, comedy, documentary, western or horror movie appears, are we prepared to go that bit further to obtain it, whatever the cost? It has a lot to do on what we can afford at the time, I reckon the only way to put this question into some sort of perspective, is too ask yourself, do I still watch this title and would I sell for less, that will tell you if it was a reasonable price you paid.

Hugh Thompson Scott

#39 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:44 pm

I'm satisfied with my 16mm purchases, I buy to keep, with no idea of ever selling. Like you say Hugh, one man's meat, etc, what I buy probably wouldn't interest others at half the price.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Odd Reels in 16 mm

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor