RE: 52 weeks, 52 features. (or mini features)

#26 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:51 pm

It is indeed Paul, I thought Sinatra was a pretty good actor myself, I also liked the Detective, a little long as a feature but a good film.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 537

#27 by Tom Photiou , Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Week 8, Film 9

The Silence of the Lambs,

This is such a good title to have been released on 8mm. A top quality Derann LPP print with pin sharp image throughout and with belting stereo sound via our old analogue amp, this is a top title guaranteed to keep any audience glued to the screen. Joined onto 2 x 1200ft spools.
The one oddity about this 8mm release is that in a couple of scenes during the early part of the final 600ft reel you clearly see the boom microphone at the top of the picture, you never see this on the DVD or a TV viewing, its very short lived but very clear, any ideas why this is so visible on this release?

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Del Phillipson

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 537

Last edited 02.16.2024 | Top

#28 by Graham Sinden , Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:32 pm

Tom, I can only think of the Boom microphone in view is because it was filmed in Open Matte where the film is masked at the projector gate top and bottom. Predator was also filmed like that which is why the Derann release was 4:3 full frame. I don't remember any microphones in shot but there was video information at the bottom of the screen when we see through the predator's eyes.

That is the beauty of film. We at home can see more picture than everyone else, even those paying to see it at the cinema .

Graham S

Tom Photiou likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 44

RE: 52 weeks, 52 features. (or mini features

#29 by Vidar Olavesen , Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:19 pm

Looks great, Too bad you cant mask Super 8 (I assume?) Is it possible to mask an Elmo 16-CL? I have some films with microphones popping down a lot. I remember seeing Once Around, great film with Dreyfuss, but cinema forgot to mask it and it is perhaps the worst I have seen regarding mikes

Tom Photiou likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#30 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies Vidar and Graham, it is quite comical what shows up on a super 8 print, but must repeat, it isn't a downer on the film in anyway or form but it raises a little smile when you see the mic pop in and it is quite clear, I think it happens twice but other than that, it stays out the way as it should do. On the predator print they get away with it more because most people will think its just to do with the view the predator see's.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 537

#31 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:34 pm

Week 9, Film 10.
Witchfinder General. Super 8,
This week was another viewing of the 1968 British period folk horror film directed by Michael Reeves and starring Vincent Price, Ian Ogilvy, Hilary Dwyer, Robert Russell and Rupert Davies.
The super 8 print released by Walton films was somewhat messed about in the editing process for some odd reason. As well documented in the 8mm world, walton decided to completely remove the pre title sequence which itself sets the mood of the film perfectly, this has been totally removed and this version begins with the end of film credit sequence as the start. We' have always been use to this and no longer take much notice but it makes no sense why Walton did this, Aside this hiccup, the film is fine and our print, on Fuji stock, is holding up well on colour with no fade, we have edited the movie from it's 4 x 400ft onto two 800ft spools.
In addition to the walton feature (and the two 200ft excepts they did), there is also a German 200ft edit which does contain the original opening, unfortunately, they are only in the German language, (no problem for those who can re-record) but also, I believe all of them will be faded to red unless someone can confirm otherwise.

Michael Reeves, the films director was only 24 years old when he made this movie, he died in London a few months after the film's release. After shooting Witchfinder General he was suffering from depression and insomnia, for which he took tablets and received a variety of treatments from medical and psychiatric practitioners. On the morning of 11 February 1969, Reeves was found dead in his bedroom, aged 25, in Cadogan Place, Knightsbridge, by his cleaning lady. The coroner's report stated that Reeves's death (from a barbiturate overdose) was accidental, the dosage being too marginal to suggest intention.

If he was able to make a movie like this in 1968 aged 24, we can only imagine what other films this young director could have given us in his lifetime had he have lived.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 537

Last edited Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:41 pm | Top

#32 by Gwyn Morgan , Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 pm

Nice one Tom,I remember seeing this one on the big screen ,Im sure it was on a reissue cant be sure though.Funnily enough I have a 200 copy with no titles.I use this one to test my machines.I think it came as part of a job lot years back,the colour and sound is still very good.
As you say the director Reeves would undoubtedly have gone on to greater things,its quite surprising how many films he had a hand in prior to this one.He was second unit director on one of my favourites The Long Ships with Widmark and Poitier.

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 266

#33 by Vidar Olavesen , Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:21 pm

I always wanted this. Saw it first on Betamax, have one of the 200 ones. Almost bought a Black & white 4x400, but passed on it as I wanted it in colour

Nice one

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#34 by Tom Photiou , Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:31 pm

I have seem a few 16mm full features come up for sale with the weird US title, The conqueror worm!! This quote from wiki seems to explain it, makes no sense to me though,

In the United States, where it was distributed by American International Pictures (AIP), Witchfinder General was retitled The Conqueror Worm (titled onscreen as Matthew Hopkins: Conqueror Worm) by AIP to link it with their earlier series of Edgar Allan Poe adaptations directed by Roger Corman and starring Price; because its narrative bears no relation to any of Poe's stories, American prints book-end the film with his poem "The Conqueror Worm" being read through Price's narration.

Unfortunatly, these full feature are usually faded or well on the way. I think after 40 years now I'll just stick with this one. The fully restored disc versions do include extra footage that was cut by the censors, namely the last scene where Ogilvy Kills price with the axe, this is a few seconds longer and does make much more of an impact. Also, there was interior scenes re-shot for the German audiences, allegedly, again, i quote information from wiki.

Several additional nude scenes were filmed during the production. Set in a pub and involving local "wenches", the sequences were reportedly solely intended for the film's German release version. Reeves refused to take part in the filming of these sequences and they were completed by the crew after the initial versions of the scenes had been shot, with Tigon's Tenser acting as director. According to Waddilove, Louis M. Heyward appeared at the location only to ensure those additional scenes were filmed. The credits read, "Additional scenes by Louis M Heyward". According to Ogilvy, this was an in-joke because for Reeves, "additional scenes" meant "some prick of a producer putting his oar in and messing up what the director had done".

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 537

Film cleaning, colour on the cloth

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor