Super 8 trailers, various, all colour sound.

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:55 pm

Rather than review each individual trailer I thought I would do a block list.
I recently purchased a nice collection of trailers from a fellow collector and it really is a collection in its own right. Had I not have had any trailers at all this would have been a turbo boost start to any collection.
The image of each one is first class, the on screen picture is pin sharp on all of them and the colours jump out of the screen at you, many being Derann releases and a some from other companies including Indi 8. Each one is packed with action which is the usual case with trailers, and a fair number of them are like mini digests of the movie.
Getting decent screen shots is not always easy as everything moves so quickly from scene to scene but hopefully you will get the idea. These really don’t do the trailers any justice, I will add more to the thread as I view them, and dependent if the thread gets any interest.
We all know the job of a trailer, or preview, is to entice you to go and see it, quite often I’ve found the trailers a better viewing than the film itself, the one example I can give you from these is Superman returns, (2006). After seeing this trailer, and with Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, (I think he’s a very good actor), I thought I must make the effort to see the film. We watched it on the telly and I was quite disappointed. Like many of the marvel CGI ridden crap of today, it is drawn out and probably around 40 minutes longer than it needed to be with all the padding. I was glad not to have paid to see it in the flicks, but the trailer here is one of the best.
The list acquired is,
Mission Impossible,
Derann fantasy trailer reel, scope Pirates Of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Hulk.
Lethal Weapon 2, scope
Chicago & Matrix Reloaded scope
Die Hard With a Vengeance
Air Force One, scope
The Fugitive,
Superman returns,
Time after Time
Disney’s Mighty Joe Young 'scope
Batman forever,

also in the pack is an excellent little 50ft reel packed with the following items,
Two Odeon daysets, one for “Intermission”, one for an ad to buy a drink in the Odeon bar and a really good animated Christmas message, “Happy holidays” from National Amusements. Not one I’ve ever seen advertised so I have no idea who would have released it. And this one ends with the Queens and the national anthem.

As already said, these images are quite poor to what you see on screen, for any of you who have any of Derann’s low fade ad reels, you’ll know how good the quality is of the trailers.

Eivind Mork likes this
Graham Sinden sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

RE: Super 8 trailers, various, all colour sound.

#2 by Graham Sinden , Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:58 pm

Great Review Tom. The dilemma I would have is..do I keep them separate with the original leaders, or do I make up a trailer reel to make easy viewing.

I've also never seen the Happy Holidays one either. Can I ask about the 50ft with the Odeon adverts and Christmas ad. Is there splices between the ads or not. This may determine if it is an extract from a longer Advert reel that might be easier to see who released it. Maybe Barry can help?

Graham S

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:05 pm

Hi Graham,
The 50ft reel is made up with a few different daysets and also "The Queen". The Christmas one is really good, I have no idea what reel it would have been on but it is certainly a new one on me.
With the trailers I like to make up a 200ft reel, normally three to a reel, 80s action movies/90s action/ Schwarzenegger reel / Jim Carrey reel etc. Other reels I leave as supplied are those that were already in that style, my latest one, Derann fantasy reel/start trek trailer and classic scope reels and Kempski trailer reels are left as they are so no splices.
For me, I use a reel to to start any show or if I'm on my own, (most of the time ) I'm quite happy to view a few reels of trailers, this way as you know, you get an action packed evenings viewing.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 09.27.2023 | Top

#4 by Eivind Mork , Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:48 am

The prints are looking great! Nice writeup!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

The Best of Benny Hill 1 x 600ft
Ads of the 60s. Derann 200ft colour sound.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor