"MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH" (PARAMOUNT 1934)

#1 by Rick S. Newman , Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:59 am

The third of four filmed versions of Alice Hegan Rice's 1901 novel "Mrs. Wiggs Of The Cabbage Patch" this 1934 entry is arguably the best of the group. Its stars are Pauline Lord in the first of her only two films before returning to her Broadway roots, Zasu Pitts in another of her trademarked befuddled roles and the great W.C. Fields in a role he purported to hate though his performance despite his limited screen time is typically wonderful Fields. The film likewise boasts appearances by a handful of familiar character faces including Donald Meek, Charles Middleton, Arthur Houseman and Dell Henderson.

As the term "original" when applied to a 16mm print tends to have multiple meanings I will rate this print similarly as it doesn't appear to be a dupe given its strong black and white saturation and overall excellent contrast. As such it was likely not a TV print as the gamma has not been reduced for broadcast as was the practice back when TV stations ran 16mm film through film chains. I suspect that this was a rental print which would likely have been the reason for this print's only real shortcoming, a fair number of splices. They are virtually all of the single to couple of frames variety and thus have no real impact on continuity or narrative. As a 50+ year film collector (not now or ever a broker dealing in something I neither know nor care little about) I can assure you that this print was cared for; each of the splices checked and as necessary fixed ensuring smooth projection. Likewise there is no curl, warp or sprocket damage requiring attention nor is there any sagging on takeup. While absence of odor is not necessarily an indication of absence of VS this print shows no indication of the issue.

Hairlike black lines are minimal and infrequent. The track is of the variable area (RCA) variety. I did find it necessary to replace a very few feet of footage just prior to the end title at the close of reel two. It was explained to me by the print's former owner that this tiny bit was missing though knowing that I could replace it I happily accepted the film as it was. All photos derive from this print.

$139.00 +$11.17 S&H U.S. Media mail rate. Intrenational shipping TBD.
Not a perfect print to be sure but is nonetheless a family pleaser which our family has enjoyed many times over the years. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Eivind Mork

Rick S. Newman
Date registered 03.15.2022
home: Boulder City, Nv.
ThankYou 1

RE: "MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH" (PARAMOUNT 1934)

#2 by Tom Photiou , Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:26 pm

Not a film I know but your print looks like new.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Rick S. Newman , Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:13 pm

It really is a very decent print save for the aforementioned splice count. My reason for parting with it is that I've acquired a second equally nice print with some fewer splices. The only adjustments made to the photos included were the removal of that curious sepia tint endemic to some cell phone photos of projected images.

Rick S. Newman
ThankYou 1

Last edited 09.04.2023 | Top

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:16 pm

Something a little unusual when it comes to print reviews,nice change.Must admit never heard of the film before so much so I looked them up on IMdb to find the first film of the four was made in 1914 with the last one made in 1942.Obviously they were made for the US market,but I do stand to be corrected.
Looks to be a good print even if it is a dupe.

Tom Photiou likes this
Rick S. Newman sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#5 by Rick S. Newman , Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:41 pm

The 1919 entry starring Marguerite Clark may be seen on YouTube. The narrative differs somewhat from the '34 but it's also a lovely film. Thanks for your input Gwyn.

Rick S. Newman
ThankYou 1

#6 by Rick S. Newman , Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:20 pm

Item has been sold.

Tom Photiou likes this

Rick S. Newman
ThankYou 1

Fumeo 9271VIP HELP PLEASE
16mm film short "HOW TO BREAK 90 by BOBBY JONES - HIP ACTION"

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor