CHRISTOPHER LEE Vs YODA. Another new release

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:48 pm

Not an advert for the new release which is good to see. So many new ones of late it's getting like the old days, great stuff,

The only reason for me bringing this up here is how, when someone politely asks about why they dont look like films gone by, (the answer is because it's taken from a digital source) they appeared to be told not to criticise the medium they voted for.

The colours and the way they look on the big screen are fine, they do look good, but it's odd that whenever someone questions the look or the colour they are told they should stop criticising. I thought it was a fair comment and it has been discussed before with other releases. Graham did say that German Lab struggles to get the deep reds and I can see greens are not there much either, however, as said, it looks good on the big screen, I just think if someone asks a question they shouldn't be put down in that way. It's called an opinion.
I would imagine all the new releases are imports as no one in the UK can produce them.
Anyway, well done to those involved on another new release. but at least let people ask question that are perfectly viable, after all, £130+ for ten minutes is a big spend

BTW Graham, if your looking in, very nice screenshots, it's a very good review for the film .

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan, Paul Browning and Graham Sinden

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.26.2023 | Top

RE: CHRISTOPHER LEE Vs YODA. Another new release

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:18 pm

I think if one is going to pay £130 for ten minutes of film one is entitled to ask questions about that film.I appreciate its brand new and it obviously looks and sounds very good but its still £130.
Nice to see new films come on the market and good luck to the sellers/makers.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Vidar Olavesen

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Graham Sinden , Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:24 pm

Nothing wrong really with asking questions, but those asking need to realise there is only the one lab now and we should be grateful in 2023 there are many new releases. Many collectors might say "We'll I'm happy with my stunning Derann prints". True and excellent prints they are, but as Derann stopped printing around 2008?? then that is the latest films you will see. Anything later into the next decade or even last year (Avatar 2 Trailer) then the only option is new prints printed by the German lab with the current single stripe to cut costs. (yes there are the Italian labs but these seem to take longer and not sure what the service is like)

Regarding the colour. Most today are from a digital source and the end result is good but maybe not the deep saturated colour we once had. I would love to hear an experts view but if the original digital file could have increased saturation (easy on any editor software), then does that mean the end result would have deeper colours?? Even if not I'm happy with the current printing quality and there is no hint of "Blue" in the new prints like we did have with some of Derann's later output.

As for price they are expensive but affordable as these are just single reels, in this case 200ft. Buying 1997 Titanic full length is out of the question (for me at least) but these 200ft are easier on the wallet and once bought give pleasure second to none. It's hard to describe but lacing up the projector and watching them in a dark room with the picture zoomed up to max, you forget the cost of these 10 minutes and just enjoy the experience, also knowing you can keep these for decades and enjoy again and again.

Graham S

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#4 by Greg Perry , Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:53 am

I do enjoy seeing these new prints being offered. I purchase some of these myself. I personally don't have a big concern with digital sources vs. a true negatvie based film source--prefer the latter but that is not available as in the past.

At the same time, I don't see asking questions or sharing differing opinions about sound, color etc. as "raining" on anyone's parade. I am not sure that collectors' opinions about lack of green hues (etc.) will detrimentally impact sales.
I like to hear what others think too...

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 am

Graham, thank you for your excellent reply on here,
Greg, I'm all for the new releases, I personally only have Jurassic park and two of the xmas trailer reels, the reason I've not bought more is purely because I get much more value from the second hand prints I buy and apart from that I sell to buy to keep the hobby self funding so I could end up selling a lot for little return.
Because they are from digital sources, the only way now, will look different, the colours are not so saturated, however, they are good and the sound on these from their digital source is very good.
With the single stripe I have no idea how much I can trust it because I dont know enough about it or the process that glues it to the film.
Apart from all that, If i am to continue in the hobby its only fair that I can justify some of the prices to the Wifey, she must remain supportive, If i sold off lots of fims and only bought in 200ft shorts and snippets I dont think she would be overly impressed although she has always been of the mind that they are my films, i can do what i want with them and buy what i want with what i earn from them, TOO RIGHT MRS
I think Paul Adsett, who is a very respected member of the other channel, simply asked a perfectly good question which others have asked on here before, I'm not too sure some of the replies later in that post were very fair, almost a slap down in fact. He did say he wasn't in any way putting the releases down,
As i recall, in years gone by, many new releases from all companies were questioned over image or sound but I cant remember anyone having a go at those critics!

I'll say it again because so many people mis-interpret what is said, the new releases are to be commended by all involved, they look good, but will not be able to be as good in colour as film from film, BUT, the colours are good and strong, just not saturated, perhaps the words im looking for are, the colours are not always accurate, If I wanted lots of digital I would switch to projecting direct from 4k or BR. Its cheaper and you get the whole film.

It is a shame that only the other channel seems to be chosen to announce new releases these days, perhaps there's a reason, who knows!! But I agree with Greg, there seems to be enough support for them and hopefully the questions asked dont put people off buying them, the amount of new titles seems to say, things are good with the sales.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 07.28.2023 | Top

#6 by Lee Mannering , Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:54 pm

Hi Tom Thank you for the praise. Sadly I don't have the time now to forum a great deal what with caring for my wife, work etc but those who buy the new imports are enjoying them.

It wasn't so many years ago everyone was saying we miss any new releases, we'll now we have some coming from various countries. Not sure how long it will last , but they are proving collectable being very limited in quantity. It's been great to have new subjects to project and personally speaking quite a wonderful time on S8.

All I would say is, if you want new titles for your collection make the most of it while you can.
Enjoy the show!
God bless.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#7 by Thomas Peters , Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:07 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I just saw that "Dave" from Dave's films, presumably, posted 2 copies of DRACULA (aka HORROR OF DRACULA) yesterday on US ebay. He says they both have sound dropouts near the end, but he prices them slighlty differently. In the video clips, I didn't notice any dropouts, but they were just taken with a phone pointed to the screen so the sound wasn't that clear anyway.

I assume these are just limited releases? I always hear about them a year or 2 too late, but after some research I see they are sourced from digital. To each his own, but I already have this movie in HD and I doubt having an extract in Super 8 made from what I already have would float my proverbial boat.

I wouldn't mind getting a full-length Derann print, but I doubt I would ever see it at even close to a reasonable price.

BTW, I just watched COUNT DRACULA (1970, not Hammer) with Christopher Lee for the first time on one of the free streaming services (Tubi, I think), and it was very different from the Hammers. It wasn't that bad, considering the low budget, but the film never really "took off" if you know what I mean. It held my interest, but there was no payoff, and no surprises.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 11.14.2023 | Top

Sanyko Dualux 2000H
Laurel & Hardy title help

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor