A Country Music spectacular Vol 1, 400ft Colour sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:25 pm

This was a cheap n cheerful film I bought from Movieland International here in Plymouth decades ago. It wasn't something I was looking for, nor was it on my want list. If I remember rightly, It was in a collection he had in at the time while I was purchasing something else so I picked this one up along with a few other shorts.

This was one of several releases from Columbia home movies, we have Volumes 1 and 2 which are both 400ft colour sound
Also in the same series was a few 200ft reels as well as the Jim Reeves memorial 200ft release, Jim reeves being one of my favourite singers, a voice you can never tire of listening to.

The sets in these shows from the 50s clearly look dated, they are excerpts from an American TV show, The grand ole opera, it's clear to see how the performers were told to ensure they smiled at the cameras which is ok if they were looking at the right one. That said, these were among the most popular country stars of their time and were mega stars for decades.
I quite like the music, (or at least most of it) from these reels which, in this first volume include, an introduction from Jim Reeves, followed by songs from Faron Young, Ray Price, The Carter Sisters, (before June Carter met Johnny Cash) Ernest Tubb, The Jordonairs (before they became one of Elis Presley's backing singers) and finally, a trio made up of Carl Smith, Marty Robins and Webb pierce who had more number one hits in the 50s than any other country singer. All three of these final performers had hits from the late 40s through to the eighties.
These reels are actually very good quality considering the age the material must have been, image is very sharp and rock steady and the sound excellent throughout. There is one or two abrupt edits between the songs where some of the performers introduce the next act, but overall, they are entertaining if somewhat very dated. Some of the songs never date, while there is one or two, (The carter Sisters in particular) where you do wish you had a fast forward button.
Just to give you an idea of what you see in these reels, this is a Chet Atkins performance from Volume 2 introduced by Carl Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMGN68V...annel=moviemagg

Attached pictures:
country music vol 1 (17).JPG  

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 06.28.2023 | Top

RE: A Country Music spectacular Vol 1, 400ft Colour sound

#2 by Paul Browning , Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:15 am

I didn't know you liked the music Tom, i knew about your liking of the cowboy films or am i getting you mixed up with your brother ? , any how "YEE HAA "

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Mark Mander , Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:52 am

Amazing what's out there on super 8,I guess you have to cater for all tastes, Chet Atkins worked with many big stars over the years including Elvis, I've not seen any of these releases, I'm sure they have that definitive county sound of the era that catapulted many country artists, Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#4 by Tom Photiou , Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:19 pm

Paul, here's the thing, if someone gave me a CD/LP or whatever of all the music on these two 400ft films and I listened to it, i'd probably laugh, but seeing it performed in colour from the 1950s by the stars of the day throws a whole new light on the music. One or two of the numbers are cringeworthy, but overall, most of them are fine, I certainly wouldn't go out of my to buy the albums but viewing these two films, (as well as the 200ft Jim Reeves reel) does have a bit a magic, I cant explain it, but its ok.

My own personal preference to music is more toward Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash as well as movie soundtracks by the likes of Morriconie, Hans Zimmer, Ron Goodwin Max Steiner to name a few. And like most people, pop/rock throughout the 60s 70s and 80s. From here on, only the occasional songs would catch my ear.

When I first viewed this reel i recall thinking, "Deliverance" with a loud smile, but putting aside the camera smiles and trying to get their lines right when introducing the next act, the music on much of the reel is ok.
What may surprise anyone who googles any of the names on the screenshot, is how popular these performers were, many for more than four decades, a few of them well into the 80s and 90s.

Mark, one of the instrumentals Chet Atkins often performed was yakety axe as used by Benny Hill, here he is in 1991 performing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK7T4LHj...nel=rarestuff87

Mark Mander likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Mark Mander , Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:16 pm

As the wife says, if it's not on film I wouldn't have watched it which is very true, I get it 100% with this one, Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Barry Attwood , Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:02 am

I have 2 New & Sealed 200' titles from this series going on my next lists, it will be interesting if they garner much interest, I always thought like Tom, that the presentation was a bit OTT, but that was American TV inthe late 1950's early 60's, but most prints I've had the colour has held up a lot better than other Columbia produced 8mm (although their prints ofthe Hanna-Barbera cartoons still seem reasonable). It is still nice to see the original stars singing these songs on the big screen, it does add something to the music!

Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

Predator, 2 x 1200ft
New Release TERMINATOR 3 CRANE CHASE SEQUENCE 200ft

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor