New Release TERMINATOR 3 CRANE CHASE SEQUENCE 200ft

#1 by Graham Sinden , Sun May 21, 2023 10:49 am

T3 CRANE CHASE SEQUENCE
DORUN FILMS
200ft LETTERBOX
11mins APPROX.

The latest release from Dorun Films, and what a release. This is the whole of the Terminator 3 The Crane Chase in glorious Super 8 Sound plus a bonus advert.

HISTORY
Back in 2007 Derann announced that the full feature of Terminator 3 would be available and was asking for buyers to put down £50 deposit to make sure it happened. Well I and many others paid but a short time later this deposit was refunded as Derann had second thoughts about the project and decided not to go ahead. A real shame as Ged had said previously Arnie films were great sellers and this would have fit nicely on 4x600ft but it wasn’t to be. Until now all that has been available from T3 is the trailer in both flat from Derann and a slightly longer Scope version from CHC.
Now in 2023 we now have the Crane Chase sequence all thanks to the hard work of Dorun Films.

REVIEW
The film starts off with one of those Arnie PPI adverts. I had personally forgotten about those so it is a nice opener. This is the one in Supermarket and lasts nearly a minute. Then we have a very nice Columbia logo. Short titles follow then strait into the film. The extract starts at the point where The Terminator (Arnie) confronts John Conner (Nick Stahl) and tells him he must live and takes him away. We also have a nice shot of the TX Terminator (Kristanna Loken), the most advanced yet, who fires at Arnie. John Connor then manages to get away on his own with the TX going after him but the Terminator soon follows to ensure the TX fails in her mission. What follows is absolute mayhem for the rest of the reel. Non stop crashes, crazy driving, spins, you know it... If you are looking for pure edge of the seat action, this is it. Most probably the best part of T3 and wonderful to have on Super 8. The ending is a bit abrupt I have to say, you just want to see more, but do what I do and rewind and watch it again. The whole sequence is here if you compare the DVD. There is so much crazy action in this extract it makes you want to see it again and again so repeatability is excellent.

THE PRINT
Let me start by saying this is a very full reel, so full it comes right up to the edge. You might want to remount on a 400ft reel to make threading easier. The print is sharp (as we come to expect from the German labs today) and the colours truly are excellent. Sound is also top notch and loud. Sadly only single stripe but this is of excellent quality and allows for awesome recordings, no dropouts. This film is printed in Letterbox and supplied boxed with glossy double sided artwork.

CONCLUSION
If you like Arnie and have a selection of his films on Super 8, buy this and add it to your collection. Only a limited release this so grab it when you see a copy for sale. Amazing action sequence for your audience. Arnie said he would be back on Super 8 and he is.

PICTURE 10
SOUND 10
REPEATABILITY 11

Eivind Mork likes this
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

Last edited 05.21.2023 | Top

RE: New Release TERMINATOR 3 CRANE CHASE SEQUENCE 200ft

#2 by Mark Mander , Sun May 21, 2023 5:04 pm

I think these new releases would benefit from stereo sound, I know a good recording on single stripe is perfectly acceptable but having the equipment to really lift these prints is a bit on the disappointing side,Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Graham Sinden , Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 am

Yes it is a shame that a Stereo recording cannot be made. It's not like a balance stripe can't be applied as the machinery exists to do it but the cost has meant that the current new prints are sent elsewhere and just a single stripe applied.

Having said that I've been quite impressed with the single stripe and not noticed any focus problems. As I have read, you get better recordings from this new single stripe. Let's just hope that the company finds a way to add the Balance stripe for future prints.

Graham S

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Mark Mander
Graham Sinden  
Graham Sinden
Date registered 11.19.2015
home: Kent, UK
ThankYou 45

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 24, 2023 10:20 pm

Looks a nice reel Graham, as already said, I hope they can get the stripes sorted for a balance track, clearly there is a reason why it isn't used, if it's a bout saving on costs, Walton did this and it didn't do them any good.
Fortunately, a very good sound quality is achieved on all the new releases thanks to the the digital sources, but at the price tag, I cannot add these to my collection, I think I prefer the holiday's nowadays, six of these 200 footers will pay for a decent one

But well done to those involved again.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#5 by Eivind Mork , Mon May 29, 2023 1:38 pm

Hat's off to Dorun films for making these new copies! All done for the love of films as I can't imagine he makes a dime from it all!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Tom Photiou , Mon May 29, 2023 2:46 pm

I also take my hat off to those who release new super 8 films, lots of dedication but i would take losing money or not making anything with a pinch of salt. If it were a one off i could perhaps agree but the amount of titles that have been released in the past 12 months is quite an achievement, the costs in losses involved would be unsustainable. BUT, i do agree, its great to see new projector blood as a good friend of mine calls it.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.29.2023 | Top

A Country Music spectacular Vol 1, 400ft Colour sound
Laurel & Hardy, Perfect Day, Blackhawk print, 400ft sound

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor