Americom's HORROR OF DRACULA

#1 by Thomas Peters , Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:16 pm

I should really keep this to myself, but because of the way I feel about all of you, I will share it.

On a popular auction site, someone is selling Americom's HORROR OF DRACULA, in all its Super 8 b&w silent 200 foot glory. And if you happen to own a turntable, you can play the flexi record that comes with it in an attempt to sync the sound to the on screen action! Wow!

What a great opportunity to own a piece of cinema history! The film that launched Hammer's series of Dracula films with the one and only Christopher Lee.

The best news -- this can be had for only $499.99 USD! Can you imagine that? You would have to search long and hard to find another copy of this film for such a great price. And it doesn't end there... it is a "buy it now"!

Oh yea, from the seller: "I’ve never seen one of these before." So that proves how rare it is!

Don't delay!

:)

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.14.2023 | Top

RE: Americom's HORROR OF DRACULA

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

A lot of the Horror films you are seeing on ebay right now were Hugh Thomson Scott's lifelong collection. He was a gore and horror fan among others and hunted down many rare horror films.
Reading back some of his old emails I recieved over the years, he often found the titles he was looking for from Germany and Australia's ebay as well as ebay.com for the US sellers. He certainly had a lot of rare horror films, he also wasn't always bothered about the language being German or other.

Thomas Peters likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Don Cunningham , Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:48 pm

Yeah, I saw that listing and chuckled. It's crazy how much super 8 films can go for, especially "newly created" ones. I get cost, but when you can buy several discs or even make a independent project on 16mm for the price, come on.

Thomas Peters likes this

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#4 by Thomas Peters , Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #2
A lot of the Horror films you are seeing on ebay right now were Hugh Thomson Scott's lifelong collection. He was a gore and horror fan among others and hunted down many rare horror films.
Reading back some of his old emails I recieved over the years, he often found the titles he was looking for from Germany and Australia's ebay as well as ebay.com for the US sellers. He certainly had a lot of rare horror films, he also wasn't always bothered about the language being German or other.

This being from a Toy and Comic book seller in Michigan U.S.A., and with no other films for sale, probably not from Hugh's collection.

I have 3 Americom Laurel and Hardy films, but I didn't pay nearly that much, lol. 2 have the record, but only 1 record is in playable condition. Believe it or not, when I got it last year, I used one of my lousy turntables (I have a really good one, too) out of convenience that I hadn't used in about 10 years, since it had problems keeping the correct speed. Wouldn't you know it, the sound stayed in sync the entire time with my Bolex 18-5 standard 8mm projector. I was gobsmacked! I've heard that you can only sync it once in your lifetime, lol. I read that in Scott MacGillivray's book on Laurel and Hardy. It was a quote from Jack Roth, whom I used to know when I was a member of The Sons of the Desert in NYC over 20 years ago.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.14.2023 | Top

#5 by Thomas Peters , Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:21 am

I just got an offer from the seller for $400. Not even in my watch list -- but I've seen that before when you just view it.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:07 am

I've not looked on there to find this title but as you say, this one clearly isn't from Hugh's collection, but I cant think for the life of me why this seller thinks it's worth that price. Just typical of some of the sellers who think they have an antique.

Thomas Peters likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#7 by Thomas Peters , Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:39 pm

Yup, not a film collector -- a toy and comic book dealer.

Let's see how long it takes him to wise up. Sometimes even film collectors do not wise-up. For about 2 years, there has been a guy selling an incomplete feature for way too much. And get this: it is a slightly edited version of the feature even when "complete." Funny thing is, I bought the complete uncut feature last year for much less, and it is a print from the same distributor, so the quality is the same.

Similarly, I have seen the same Bolex projector listed for at least a year, with no change in price. It is one of those Super 8 sound Eumig 800 series rebadges. The reason I know is that I was just looking at the listing, and it showed that I had rejected an offer. I estimate at least a year ago. And he has the flimsiest description -- pretty much says it is untested but does turn on.

I was thinking of setting up my own matchmaking website. Not for dating, but to match up sellers with films but no projectors, with sellers with projectors but no films.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Last edited 03.15.2023 | Top

#8 by Thomas Peters , Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:12 pm

This still hasn't sold. No change in price. I would love to see this guy on PAWN STARS and be told he is off his rocker. Rick would offer him about 5 or 10 bucks, if that much. The look on the guy's face would be priceless. I can just hear Rick's laugh.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

#9 by Lee Mannering , Fri May 19, 2023 5:47 pm

Nothing to do with this auction Tom but I've had a spree obtaining silent of years past, mag striping them and recording a high quality track. This title I purchased at my own film fair for £5 silent adding sound. It makes for a nice piece of nostalgia, or as they call it now retro.
Nice piece of enjoyable fun.

Lee Mannering
Date registered 11.07.2022
ThankYou 5

#10 by Thomas Peters , Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:12 pm

This is the same listing I reported on back in March. Still $499.99!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256005257520?hash=item3b9b1a3930:g:iZ8AAOSw7zJkCmu1&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8BVt1CE%2FqAg56TUEz3zqPoeD7oYqjNX5h%2B5hITlF%2B7jxM9R1DLehk8VKfOv9YBtbIgnR2erWmu4r3VNylf2aiArjk3j6ocV%2B4wozNe05vJG76Z7oqSxFjTZ%2FrmKA2Mef%2BG4r2%2FXHOiwgRwrk8Qjiy3cAUvdLFLacDu%2F%2FRnDHEiwuo%2BKfAFS9Pg0WJNYbxsk9QwGG95uZilb3X%2FiRxn%2Fy78HzaXNA5RgMsgxHdbHVpxqMzuhAxyXM9y3LuFAazs7BJkHNpVL0SmCLO8Bnp3aLg%2FkR8F7jIdl3znV0njVkI8vyczt9X7Jg3obs2WmYb18obA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9LQ07KHYw

There are 2 other copies available on eBay, one for $95, the other $350!

So if you missed Dave's recent eBay listings, here's your chance to get it -- and only half the length, B&W not color, and a sountrack record so you don't need a sound projector! Not that's what I call a deal!

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
ThankYou 9

Several Std8/Super8 Features For Sale
New Kodak camera

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor