"POPPY" (1936), W.C. FIELDS, Rochelle Hudson

#1 by Rick S. Newman , Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:57 pm

This is an older rental item which does exhibit an expected degree of wear. It is a composite print which I was able to construct from various elements acquired during my time of ownership. There are splices though all of which are of the single to minimum frame variety which in no way disrupt continuity or distract from the narrative or action. There are likewise occasional thin, hairlike black lines which appear at intervals though fleetingly. These few issues essentially sum up this print's negatives. Correct gamma setting when printed resulted in good B&W saturation as well as contrast. The audio is crisp, clear and strong.
Assuming you're familiar with W.C. Fields at this stage of his cinematic career I'll refrain from offering plot details other than to say that the film offers a gentler though typically hucksterish Fields portrayal. Rochelle Hudson as his daughter infuses the film with a leavening of sweetness while the presence of several familiar Hollywood character players make this a true delight. And yes, all photos derive from this print and have not been altered.

Attached pictures:
Screenshot_20230123_115454_eBay.jpg  

Rick S. Newman
Date registered 03.15.2022
home: Boulder City, Nv.
ThankYou 1

Last edited 01.23.2023 | Top

RE: "POPPY" (1936), W.C. FIELDS, Rochelle Hudson

#2 by Thomas Peters , Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:29 pm

I saw this listing the other day on the big auction site.

Funny, but there is another thread today on ONE FROGGY EVENING. I've always felt that the idea for that cartoon was inspired by the scene with the dog in POPPY.

Thomas Peters  
Thomas Peters
Date registered 08.30.2022
ThankYou 9

Last edited 01.24.2023 | Top

Phantasm for sale
BRK exciter lamp

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor