A question regarding the 2200ft 16mm spools

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Knowing that the Eiki model projectors take up tensions are are obtained within the rear arms clutch mechanism, based on the weight of the film on the take up reel as take up progresses, My question is, when projecting a film that is mounted on a 2200ft spool, and full to the rim, will this cause issues with the take up? At present time my SL2 is 100% fine with take up as Kevin Brown sorted all this a while ago, i am guessing that this amount of additional weight going onto the take up is not what these machines were designed for.
We only have one feature on two of these full 2200 reels, but my thinking is that it would be better to mount the film on three 1600ft spools. Any opinions on this please?

I know i could look out for a long play unit but this is not an option for me.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: A question regarding the 2200ft 16mm spools

#2 by Mark Mander , Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:08 pm

I have 3 Elf machines Tom, two NT1's and a late RM that I've had converted to HID lighting, I've not had any issues with any of them with the larger reels, the take up on them seems to cope well with the fullest of reels, the Elmo's are the same too. I'm pretty sure I have even amounts of 2200 and 1600ft capacity reels and don't think about putting a strain on the machines, saying that I haven't over used them either so they are not tired machines, with only one film on larger reels I wouldn't worry too much about the extra weight unless it's on a loop showing it day in day out, Mark

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:10 am

Quote: Tom Photiou wrote in post #1
.....We only have one feature on two of these full 2200 reels, but my thinking is that it would be better to mount the film on three 1600ft spools. Any opinions on this please?...]

Tom
I suggest you give it a try with a 2200ft take-up spool and see how it works.
As it's a slot loader you can easily remove the film if it does not take up satisfactorily.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 06.13.2022 | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks Mark & Maurice, while i know it worked fine upon viewing this film, my only reason of concern is that i know how the take up tension works on these machines, so my thinking was that the extra weight of the additional 200+ feet could over time cause a problem with this particular clutch unit.
Appreciate your replies, i will continue to use it, the amount of times these reels will get used shouldn't cause a problem by the sound of it.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

This is a blessing
Eiki NT1 Cam tank

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor