Film service in Europe High-jacking the super 8mm hobby - please read

#1 by Dave Baker , Thu May 19, 2022 7:42 pm

There is a company in Italy that provides 8mm film striping - and other " film " related services that is high-jacking the hobby by dictating to customers what services the customer MUST have done - or else they won't do business .
This type of attitude is about to KILL the hobby , especially for new releases and will place the responsibility of getting customer's sound striping / recorded as their problem .
Although this particular company says sound recording is " optional " , they are trying to dictate now that it is a " must " .
And at a charge of 80 Euros , per reel ( regardless of it being 200 feet or larger ) . Go figure if you had 10 reels the cost for sound recording would be 800 Euros , 600 MORE Euros than having it done by someone in the USA OR 800 MORE Euros than recording sound yourself !

First of all , YOU DO NOT DICTATE to a customer , period !

Without naming the company , I'm sure you all know who it is .

They have LOST my business , period , for ever and guess what ? They are not the only game in town after all , like they think they are .

Do they know what they are doing ? Evidently not but they are about to loose a lot of business and make it unaffordable to any consumer .

This was a VERY IMPORTANT notification to all film collectors and buyers .

Dave Baker
Date registered 12.25.2021
ThankYou 24

RE: Film service in Europe High-jacking the super 8mm hobby - please read

#2 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 19, 2022 8:38 pm

Sounds like they dont want any custom.what an odd way to work.
Thanks for the information, this seems a sure way to kill off new releases. What are the alternatives Dave? Who actually does sound stripping and re records these days?

Dave Baker sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#3 by Dave Baker , Thu May 19, 2022 8:44 pm

ODD ? IT'S CRIMINAL !!
Don't worry , several things are being done - behind the scenes - that will rectify the situation .
Please be patient.....

Tom Photiou likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#4 by Don Cunningham , Thu May 19, 2022 9:26 pm

I imagine legal fees must be impressive as well as the photochemical process for such things. With printing services and other things required for the format almost obsolete, price is going to be high.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

Last edited 05.19.2022 | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 19, 2022 10:50 pm

The problem with that though is that this is purely a hobby, these increases make it almost impossible for many to be able to carry on paying out these sums for what is, very short films. As David said, it could end up killing off the potential for new releases which are already, not that cheap.
I get what your saying about the processes etc, but trying to dictate a business could backfire. Hopefully, Dave's on the case by the sound of it and im pleased he has warned collectors of this problem.

I do note as of yet, there is still no idea of price being put out for the xmas trailer reel three, i find it most bazaar that a price is still not mentioned, but a £25 deposit has been asked for!
Dave's new release has a price so why not the other from "Dorun" films?
I will continue with 16mm for now.

Dave Baker likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.19.2022 | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 pm

WWOOOWWW, did anyone on here see the condescending reply to this on the other forum today?
I caught it earlier today as clearly others did too, thankfully it was removed. For once the correct thing was removed,
I wont go into details here but it just goes to show how money seems to be the only driver for a few in this hobby, very sad.

Heres the thing now, what you have is someone selling empty picture boxes of a new forthcoming release for a £25 deposit quite possibly a mis leader - what happens IF, you pay £25 and get the pretty home made box, as it's been put 'to ensure not damaged in the post' then wait and wait and wait for the film - finally film is ready but there's an increased price to cover unforeseen cost of living rises and there you go the mis leading advertising is on and your deposit is non-refundable. Steve Osbourne must be wondering if his honesty and integrity will be affected by all this.
How many times have i questioned a price? Someone must have an idea by now, it's a 200ft film, there have been two so far but still this one doesn't have a price.

If your wondering what this has to do with this thread, the answer is everything, as it was suggested that stripping by a certain person here in the UK, on David's thread on the other channel, has been way too cheap but here in the UK we are all friendly and do it for the hobby. Oh dear, i think that backfired, this hobby is supported by all collectors worldwide, Jurassic Park to name just one new release was a collaboration of many countries, is anyone realising whats going on here? I think Dave Baker does. That reply was a sarcastic slap on the face at DB and i was pleased to see it removed, no need for it just because business was removed from the guy because he was charging too much.

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Dave Baker

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.24.2022 | Top

#7 by Paul Browning , Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 pm

ARH BLESS, IT REELY DID BACKFIRE DIDN'T IT GOD BLESS, MUST BE THE LONG TERM COVID FOGGING HIS BRAIN .......................

The following members like this: Dave Baker and Tom Photiou
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#8 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 am

And he still likes to continue poke the bear.
It's mentioned that "a couple" of guys in the UK are doing dubbing? Funny isn't it? Whenever people call out for re record no one comes forward, yet on the other channel it said that there are people doing it right here in the UK. but i suspect this will be a part of a UK group hoping to make a small fortune, personally with the severe rising costs of living here in the UK, new release sales could well suffer.
As far as looking for people to do striping is concerned, a good friend said to me the other day, if alternative striping ends up as using acetate stock and amateur home stripers then the game is over surely?
But not before people spend small fortunes.

Paul Browning likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.25.2022 | Top

#9 by Mark Mander , Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 pm

I've offered to do recordings but nothing comes of it, I don't charge either so it's not financial for me, its part of the hobby I enjoy and films benefit from a good recording too.

I've not read the comments on the other channel but get the jist of it here, it will just make new releases difficult, surely being part of the process would be more of a pleasure to produce rather than seeing what can be squeezed out of it, Mark

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Dave Baker
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#10 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Hi Mark, i for one will bear in mind regarding re-records, however, one thing i'm not is a p*** taker, i would never accept a recording for free, it takes time and also wear on your machines.
I agree also what you say regarding helping the hobby. A full on business like Derann works for a profit, you expect it, no business is a charity, however, i think what we have now is a very few trying to squeeze what they can out of people.
Many many years ago i had a local precision engineering company manufacture the Elmo 1200HD 24fps clutch wheel, i cant recall how many were done but at the time i sold all of them to supporting collectors, the cost was covered with no profit, but i was so chuffed to have done it knowing it helped keep other collectors projectors going, (one or two appeared for re sale a few years ago). Even better was seeing Keith Wilton's approval as he tested one for the magazine back in the day.

I wouldn't expect anyone to make a new release on super 8 and not make a small profit, that would be insane, but at the same time those releasing films need to be aware of the current state of the cost of living but also, be upfront at the start and price those films so the customers will know from the outset instead of keeping it a guessing game. No one should part with a deposit not knowing the films price at the start.

Back to the point of this thread, im guessing this is whats happened to DB, not just with the costs of his stripping, but also here in the UK with the recordings. Hence why praise is no longer forthcoming from certain people as it was previously, in fact it was dripping with embarrassing OTT praise on some occasions. I do believe though that some people are starting to see whats going on and been going on.

Dave Baker likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.25.2022 | Top

#11 by Mark Mander , Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 pm

I remember the clutch wheels as I bought a set, I still have them somewhere, even if you made profit on them Tom fair play but as it happened you didn't, you were offering something that wasn't off the shelf and you got them manufactured, you got a price to make them and then informed collectors the price per set, at the time you might not have sold one set but as it turned out they all went(I think I bought the last one's) it couldn't have been more cut and dry, do you think taking a deposit on them without the total price being given would have had the same result, I don't think so!! Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#12 by Paul Browning , Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am

Mark i have plenty of re- records if you fancy a go at them...........

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#13 by Mark Mander , Thu May 26, 2022 6:20 pm

Sounds good, well they will do, Mark

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tom Photiou
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#14 by Paul Browning , Thu May 26, 2022 7:09 pm

Hi Mark, ready steady go then, i'm interested in the process and what equipment you use, have got the pedro box with a gs, or computer ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#15 by Mark Mander , Thu May 26, 2022 7:41 pm

GS1200 with a sync unit from FFR in Germany Paul, I don't use a computer just a dvd running at 25fps to sync correctly, what sort of things do you need doing? Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#16 by Paul Browning , Fri May 27, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi Mark, they are mainly features, 2 star wars, young Frankenstein, Jason and the Argonauts, Dracula has risen from the grave, Close encounters, at least one terminator feature maybe two. I have dvds for some of them, you say 25 fps, i thought they were recorded at 24 fps, does it sound slower or faster when played back at 24 fps ?.

Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#17 by Mark Mander , Fri May 27, 2022 5:54 pm

Hi Paul
The DVDs have to be UK region 2 for me to record, they play at 25fps so the GS1200 sync unit is set to 25fps for recording, when played back its at 24fps and they sound perfect ,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
ThankYou 157

#18 by Dave Baker , Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:48 pm

BACK ON TOPIC -

I have received complaints from buying customers of prints returned from Movie Magnetic in Italy of the film " jumping " through the film gate . These prints WERE NOT damaged in ANY WAY when they were shipped to Italy , but were returned , so called , " perfect " by the company owner . ALSO payment is required by this company through Paypal in such a way that they are not held responsible for ANY damage or service done by them , so you are SOL .
So Be forewarned who and what you are dealing with people .

The following members like this: Paul Browning and Tom Photiou

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

#19 by Paul Browning , Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:30 pm

i hope this matter gets resolved David, and its not the death knell for those who look forward to the new release's that may now not happen. It's such a pity that the cost of setting this type of business up initially, it could be closed as quickly with the lack of customers, or lack of good customer service, without which you just don't have a business, lets hope he reads some the comments and reconsiders his position, i sincerely hope so ...................

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Dave Baker
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
ThankYou 181

#20 by Dave Baker , Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:06 pm

Well , Paul , like I mentioned earlier , alternatives ARE being worked out , so it WILL NOT be the end of new releases . Only ( hopefully ) the end of a crooked , mafia - arm twisting company that is now a predator on the hobbyists .
Those who's mouths drip honey for this company are eventually going to find out the real intention , at a cost to them .
And believe me , I've heard from several film collectors who experienced the SAME treatment from this company and will not ever do business again and are awaiting our alternatives .

Hang in there gang , it's NOT over yet......

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Paul Browning
Jose Artiles sais Thank You!

Dave Baker
ThankYou 24

Dolby model cp500manual
50 years of Movie Posters - John Kobal

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor