Soldier Blue

#1 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 11, 2022 4:48 pm

Today’s treat was my scope print of Soldier Blue starring Candice Bergen,Perter Strauss and Donald Pleasece.Thi western is not for the faint hearted even in today’s graphic world this film certainly packs a punch.
Simply a story of a cavalry patrol ambushed by the Cheyenne,there are two survivors,Bergen and Strauss.They must now reach the nearest fort army campsite which when they eventually do will have far reaching consequences for both.
The sound track was composed by the late Roy Budd with the Buffy Sainte-Marie’s song over the opening credits.
The film comes on 2 x 2200 reels has a few splices but it’s one you either like or hate certainly not everyone s cup of tea.
A few pics then I got to engrossed.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

RE: Soldier Blue

#2 by Mark Mander , Wed May 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Never seen this one Gwyn but sounds like one you enjoy, colour looks good and nice in scope, Mark

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#3 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 11, 2022 6:58 pm

Gwyn, what a title to have, and in scope as well, excellent.

This was a movie from 1970 that caused quite a stir when it was released because of its frank depictions of violence, specifically its graphic final sequence. No CGI crappy effects here, just very good make up effects. It's a few years since i saw this movie and the even the UK DVD release was cut. The only full uncut, uncensored version i could find some years back was the German DVD release which fortunately has an English soundtrack. As i understand it, the region 1 R rated DVD is also full uncut. My Brother, being a civil war historian saw this in the cinema many times in the early 70s. I was only 8 years old but i recall him telling me all about it, Mum was not amused, i wanted to 18.
To find a scope copy with colour like this must be pretty rare Gwyn, well done.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Mark Mander

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 11, 2022 7:50 pm

Mark ,Tom ,…..It’s one of my favourite films first saw it at the Odeon in Exeter when it was first released I think it was the sound track that got me,went out bought it still got it on something called vinyl.
I’ve had this print some while,only comes out occasionally it’s not one for family shows but it’s such a good film not one I will be parting with soon.
Just for the record I also have it on VHS and dvd along with an original film poster to add to the soundtrack..
Geek comes to mind.

The following members like this: Mark Mander, Tom Photiou and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#5 by Mark Mander , Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 pm

Thanks Tom for the spoiler alert😉 and yes very geeky Gwyn 🤣🤣🤣,Mark

Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#6 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 11, 2022 8:40 pm

I thought i'd save you watching it Mark

I imagine this to be a very rare print in that aside the colour still being so good, it's in scope. Do you know if it is a UK theatrical or US?
We still have lots of film soundtracks on vinyl including many many films from the 60s and 70s, lots of war and western soundtracks and also one you may know Gwyn, Serpico.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#7 by David Skillern , Wed May 11, 2022 9:39 pm

An excellent film and by the pictures a cracking print

Tom Photiou likes this
David Skillern  
David Skillern
Date registered 05.02.2016
home: South Wales
ThankYou 71

#8 by Barry Attwood , Thu May 12, 2022 8:25 am

Many years ago I had a flat 16mm print of this title, but I eventually sold it because the panning and scanning (if it had any, that is was so poor!), there's one scene where Peter Strauss talks to Candice Bergen while standing in the river and she being on the shore, which works well in scope, but I think the lab just settled the frame in the middle of the image, and in this scene it looks like sound is coming out of 2 noses. Great film though!

Barry Attwood  
Barry Attwood
Date registered 08.11.2015
home: Weeley, Essex, U.K.
ThankYou 50

#9 by Tom Photiou , Thu May 12, 2022 11:37 am

Barry, the first dvd version we bought was exactly the same. Clearly just a poor straight copy over from a VHS release i thought.Thankfully the German uncut DVD is a very good transfer and in widescreen.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 05.12.2022 | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu May 12, 2022 6:21 pm

Tom,Sorry no idea which version it is ,the ending does have a few missing seconds at that moment but everything else is there.There is no certificate and the countdowns are
not original.The first piece of film has Kodak /plus sign/triangle,223 printed on film edge and the actual sound track is high density.The film may be IB Teck but either way the colours are very very good and the films condition is excellent.
Sorry not much help.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

Irreconcilable Differences
The Third Man

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor