Long Play Units

#1 by Greg Perry , Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:51 pm

I am wondering what people think about long play units for 16mm films (or Super 8 too). I kind of like the breaks between reels simply so that a bathroom break can be had or a refreshment refill etc. But on the other hand, it is more like a true cinema to have a full feature non-stop. It seems LPU's are somewhat rare, costly, and often are missing a part like the reel retaining collar.

If you use an LPU, are you generally happy with it? What are some things to keep in mind? Do you "make up" a feature from multiple 'regular' sized reels on a jumbo reel for use with the LPU? Or do you store features on the jumbo reels ready to go?

Or, alternatively, do you have two projectors in use to do a quick manual switchover without much of an interruption in the flow of the movie?

Thank you for any insights you may have.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

Last edited 04.09.2022 | Top

RE: Long Play Units

#2 by Paul Browning , Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:29 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Greg, I have the spondon long play unit, which is probably the most common one, although they don't come up for sale very often, even on ebay. I have several super 8 features on big spools, and because they were bought like this i did not break them down onto smaller reels. The largest being a set of german made reels, although they are beautifully made they only fit on one machine i have, the fumeo 9119, not even the beaulieu 708 el can accommodate them. The fumeo has a sound issue, its low, so i don't use it very often now. I must say though i was surprised by the simplicity of the drive on the spondon, very simple circuitry, directly driving the spindle and a potentiometer to control the speed of the take up tension. The spindle is plain with just one pin to drive the reel and a locking screw on the end to stop the reel falling off, that's it. I don't have a 16mm version, but i suspect it will be a scaled up version, maybe the arms are taller for the larger 16mm reels, most of the 16mm films i have are already on reels to fit the projector, so this, as you say allows a toilet break or top up in between reel changes without too much fuss............

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan
Greg Perry sais Thank You!
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:22 am

I did 16mm mobile in the 50s and it was necessary to have a long play unit as I couldn't afford two projectors. It was integral with its own projector stand and took 6000ft spools which were enough for two shortish features. It was made by Dunscombes of Bristol. It had a slipping clutch drive for the take-up spool and its motor was 110 volt, luckily my Bell & Howell was also the same voltage.

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Gwyn Morgan, Don Cunningham and Martin Dew
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#4 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:44 am

I've never seen one myself other than on youtube or leaflets some years ago advertising them.
I guess it's always ideal to able to show a full feature as it was intended with no breaks, but for us, i have never really known anything else other than the way we project which it reel by reel with a short break.
From what i recall, the long play units these days are very hard to find in good working order and condition, when they do come up they are now fetching prices in line with a good 16mm projector. I guess the other thing to consider is the availability and price of those huge reels, you obviously need two to start with for the take up and first film.
This earlier thread i came across may be helpful for you Greg,

How many different LPU's did Elf/Eiki make then?

The other thing for me room within my film room for one, but i do have a ready made huge projector room right next door, (the under house garage) with the glass window separating the two, but i love to be next to, just in front of the projector in the same room with my audience, sounds barmy i know but thats me. My audience is 90% me on my own or my Brother and i, and very occasionally family or friends.

Where a long play unit would be more of major player is if you show films on a regular basis to bigger audiences. (only my own thoughts)

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.10.2022 | Top

#5 by Greg Perry , Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:36 pm

Tom, I agree about not having a separate projection room. I would rather not be watching a film from there. That, and taking over more of the home for a film viewing room AND a projector room at some point is perhaps a bit selfish.

The 'noise' from my 16mm and Super 8 projectors doesn't seem bothersome to me that would merit the projector being in a separate projection room. Although I do understand a 35mm set-up may need that as those apparently put out a fair bit more of noise.

Tom Photiou likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#6 by Martin Dew , Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:50 pm

I bought an Eiki a few years ago which I've used for some Super 8 and 16mm shows (see pics). However, I mostly just set it up for the fun of it. Luckily the 3-D printed nylon 16mm to Super 8 adaptor that Van Eck produces works on the Eiki unit. I also modified a photographic clamp to mount the roller in position on the feeder arm of Super 8 projectors.

My Eiki has a nice after-market torque control dial which means I can gently find the right take up reel 'pull force' to put the least pressure possible on a Super 8 projector's rear sprocket.

The following members like this: Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#7 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:26 pm

That is some set up Martin, looks impressive. I did wonder about the tensions /pressure put on the projectors.

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#8 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:15 pm

I am fortunate enough to have room for my long play units l have two systems although I rarely use the Eiki one as you can see the rewind is attached to my bench,it’s detachable, I use to rewind sometimes and the take up side is attached to a wooden plinth upon which stands the projector normally.Don’t take any notice of the 35mm rollers.

This unit l put up just for this photo as I say I don’t normally use it.
I have se up at the moment my Eiki which I have altered to play long play or single 1600/2200 reels.Simply I replaced the take off arm with a long play arm which when used for long play the take up is under the projector table.This take up motor is the same as the one I use for my fumeo and when used with the fumeo it can run independently of the projector or attached to the fumeo as in the picture.There is an independent power supply attached to rear of projector table with various settings depending on reel size.

Also a selection of my larger reels,capable of holding near any feature,plus I have a couple of take up reels with the floating hubs.

Further there are various roller attachments to be fixed in place depending on the LPU used,for a lot of the time it is easier especially if it’s only me and the misses to stick to 1600 but I do have a couple of features made up on big reels so if I fancy a change no problem.
I quite like making up the large reels and splicing the complete feature together albeit that it is time consuming.Obviously l also have a hand rewind set capable of holding the reels.You do need space for all this though and also various attachments to make it all run smoothly.
A full reel is also dam heavy!!
I also can run full feature on super 8 again using a Fumeo 📽📽

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#9 by Tom Photiou , Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:30 pm

Gwyn. I wouldn't know where to start if i was handed that
Another excellent set up and thanks for the images. How often would you use the long play unit?

I think for me, 16mm films will stay on the standard 1600 or 2000ft spools but most of our 8mm films are on either 2 x 800s or 2 x 1200 spools. Generally it's one break but the exceptions are Sound of music, (on 3 x 1200s), Gone with the wind (4 x 1200s).

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Last edited 04.10.2022 | Top

#10 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:15 pm

Tom ,you need to move the car out😂😂🤪
The take up motor on the underside of the projector table I use quite a lot as I can obtain space behind the machine ,it really depends how I feel and who is watching.Most of the time I run as I said the 1600/2200 reels,it’s easier.
You really are going to have to get either a LPU for your super 8 or another machine 🤪🤪

Tom Photiou likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#11 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:27 pm

I found these two pictures from a while back of the EIki LPU with film thereon.

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Greg Perry

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#12 by Martin Dew , Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:33 pm

Gwyn, why do you run the film through another set of three rollers before the take up spool?

Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#13 by Gwyn Morgan , Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 pm

Martin, I was playing around if memory serves me I had an issue with the initial tension regarding the take up.Because I needed to start the LPU take up before starting the projector I think using the rollers slightly released the initial “pull” on the projector itself.With this LPU it’s a straight on/off for take up.Me messing around.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#14 by Mark Mander , Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:35 pm

I use two machines if I'm showing films to people but if I'm on my own I use just the one machine, I've never really thought of owning a long play unit but can see the advantages of using one, happy to continue change overs though, Mark

Greg Perry likes this
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#15 by Gwyn Morgan , Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 am

There is a Elf LPU for sale on fleebay starting at £60.
Looks fair condition.

Greg Perry likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#16 by Martin Dew , Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:33 pm

I'm attaching the Eiki LPU manual if anyone needs it.

Plus another pic of the Eiki with my TQIII.

[[File:EikiLongplayUnitUkManual.pdf]]

Attachment:
EikiLongplayUnitUkManual.pdf

Greg Perry likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#17 by Tom Photiou , Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks Martin, quite a piece of equipment by the looks of it. As i've never seen one i have no idea of these run, my question is, do these units have a quite motor?

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#18 by Martin Dew , Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:28 pm

I would say not terribly quiet but haven't measured with an SPL meter. There's quite a noisy fan cooling the motor too.

It's a really fun toy. Almost more fun watching it than the movie!

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

Last edited 04.11.2022 | Top

#19 by Mark Mander , Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:12 pm

"It's a really fun toy. Almost more fun watching it than the movie!"

Martin,
You need to get out more!! Ha Ha, Mark

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Martin Dew and Gwyn Morgan
Mark Mander  
Mark Mander
Date registered 01.27.2021
ThankYou 157

#20 by Gwyn Morgan , Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:13 am

Watching the large reels go round is mesmerising it’s almost an addiction 🥴🥴

Martin Dew likes this

Gwyn Morgan
ThankYou 273

#21 by Martin Dew , Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:48 pm

Interesting. That LPU on eBay only went for £160 in auction. It wasn't in great condition admittedly but they used to sell for £300 - £500 a couple of years ago. I guess everyone is feeling the pinch?

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#22 by Greg Perry , Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:19 pm

If shipping wasn't so steep to the US, this was something I probably would have bid on. One thing I noticed: this ebay listing also has the extra white roller reel that mounts on the supply arm. It seems many of these separate roller reels are no longer with used units for sale. But I think Van-Eck has for sale an after-market roller that clamps to the arm itself.

Martin Dew likes this

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#23 by Martin Dew , Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:59 pm

Yes, they do, Greg, good point.

Greg Perry likes this

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

#24 by Paul Browning , Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:28 pm

'I'm surprised it sold for that much, it was pretty beat up ...........

Martin Dew likes this
Paul Browning  
Paul Browning
Date registered 09.13.2015
ThankYou 181

#25 by Martin Dew , Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:49 pm

Agree, I would have passed.

Martin Dew
ThankYou 94

Elf Eiki amplifier. anyone know what machine this is off.
16mm Films Stolen From Climate Controlled Storage Unit

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor