Getting Straight. 400ft Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:43 pm

This was a film i first saw on TV years ago in the late 70s. Its not the greatest film but there was something about it i liked. The super 8 400ft columbia release is one of the most common films on past dealers lists and always seemed to be £9.99. I bought this copy from Roger Lily when he opened a cine shop in Liskeard in Cornwall for a short while.
First of all, with the help of Wiki, here is some information on this movie, its not an easy one to explain,

Getting Straight is a 1970 American comedy-drama motion picture directed by Richard Rush, released by Columbia Pictures.
The story cantered upon student politics at a university in the early 1970s, seen through the eyes of non-conformist graduate student Harry Bailey (Elliott Gould). Also featured in the cast were Candice Bergen as Bailey's girlfriend, Jeff Corey as Bailey's professor, Robert F. Lyons as his draft-avoiding friend Nick, and Harrison Ford as a fellow teaching student and his girlfriend's neighbour.
Getting Straight was released in an era of change and unrest in the United States in the early 1970s, and was in a long line of films that dealt with these themes.
Harry Bailey, a former student activist, Vietnam War veteran, and graduate student, comes back to university to complete a Master’s degree so he can become a teacher. He does his best to avoid the increasing student unrest that has surfaced at his university and in the country as a whole. However, he finds this difficult as his girlfriend, Jan, is a leader in these protests.
Over time, student demonstrations bring police to the campus to quell the unrest, and the ensuing clashes lead to a heavy police presence. Harry is forced to question his changing values. At the height of the rioting, he comes to agree with Jan that "getting straight" is more important than the unprotesting acceptance of the educational establishment.

The super 8 print is very good with sharp image and very good sound. The colours are still pretty good on my print but from what I've seen, many have faded to near red. All my films are kept in a cool totally dark room so have stood the test of time well. Having said that, there is some fade in there but as you can see, it's still very good. Many of you will recognise a very young Harrison Ford seven years before his Star Wars role.

As usual, the image onscreen is so much better than what you see here, my old camera seems to exaggerate the fade.

Gwyn Morgan likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 549

Last edited 09.11.2021 | Top

Gangs Incorporated (Mountain Films)
Getting Straight. 400ft colour sound.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor