Country and Western Music Spectacular Colour Sound

#1 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Does anyone by chance, have any lists of which of these 400ft reels had who on them?
We have Volumes 2 and 5 which seem to be holding there colours very well and the sound is really good considering the materials that were available. I dont know how many there were but obviously at least five.
I have just won Vol 1 off ebay, i also have one of the 200ft series of the same oprey TV show. I cant find any write ups about these in any of my old magazines.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Bill Phelps

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

RE: Country and Western Music Spectacular Colour Sound

#2 by Tom Photiou , Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm

This is a funny one as i asked on the other channel some time ago but no one was able to answer. i guess these are not that popular.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#3 by Bill Phelps , Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 am

I have two of these and seek the same answers you are looking for. I would like to know how many were produced. I borrowed a couple from a collector friend to screen and I should have written the titles down. I will list the ones I have in a little bit. I am not were they are at the moment!

Robert Crewdson likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#4 by Tom Photiou , Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 pm

we have volumes 1 ,2 and 5 now. two of them has the Jordanaires, ( Elvis's backing group), Ernest Tubb, Jim Reeves, (very rare colour footage, a great voice), The Carter Sisters, (June Carter later became Mrs Johnny Cash), Chet Atkins, Ray Price, Webb Pierce, Carl Smith, (also in a number of western movies), Marty Robbins, Little Jimmy Dickens, Johnny and Jack, Cowboy Copus (aka Lloyd Estel), Kitty Wells, lew childre, and quite a few more. some of the names are not that well known these days but these are quite rare performances in the early days of TV music broadcasting. Some of the music is ok but some is actually very good.
for those interested, here are 3 examples of what is on these reels, all very early stuff but great fun. later i will put up some screenshots from our reels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHkQioL7sI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEuEgK8fsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORnX-R2i...rt_radio=1#t=65

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#5 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am

I'll have a look at those links tomorrow. Some very rare footage there. I believe Cowboy Copas died in a plane crash, possibly the same one as Patsy Cline. Little Jimmy Dickens is known to me as well.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#6 by Greg Perry , Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:50 am

Tom,
I am curious as to who issued these C&W films? Fun bits to have for sure--looking forward to seeing the images when you get a chance to project them.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tom Photiou

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#7 by Bill Phelps , Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:30 am

Columbia in 200' and 400'

These are the two I have... Vol 2 and the Jim Reeves Memorial.

Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

Last edited 06.14.2018 | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks chaps.
Robert, little Jimmy Dickens died age 91(i think)in 2015.
Greg, it was columbia home movies.
Mr Osbourne kindly informs me there were 12, possibly more of these reels released by columbia. Some were 200ft.
Brian, thanks for reminding me about the jim reeves memorial as we also have thst one so that makes 3 of 400s now and two of the 200s.
I like all kinds of music(as im sure many do), everything from this c & w up to some of todays(rare though) and lots in between, especialy movie soundtracks.
Theres just something about watching these, aside the fact its very rare,(especialy on cine), you begin to realise thats its clearly the early days of TV with the way you can see them trying hard to keep smiling for the camera, seen very easily with the Jim Reeves clips here. Also how often the performers look for the camera they should be looking into. Great stuff.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

#9 by Robert Crewdson , Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am

I only have Jim Reeves on the unmentionable; probably contains some of the same material, early colour footage, with songs like 'Mexican Joe', and 'Bimbo'. I remember the shock of hearing that he had been killed, and our local Woolworths played one of his records over the speakers as a tribute. If you don't mind me going off track a bit, there is an amusing story here. My father told me how he used to listen to Little Jimmy Dickens on the radio, possibly late 1940s, and one song in particular , 'Take an old cold tater and wait'. One Saturday in the early 70s, we both went shopping our separate ways, and I saw this album of Jimmy Dickens with that song, so bought it, as a surprise for him. When I got home and showed him, he had already seen it and bought it. Then a couple of hours later, the brother-in-law knocked on the door with a surprise for my father, it was another copy of the album.

Greg Perry likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 06.14.2018 | Top

#10 by Tom Photiou , Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:04 am

thats safety in numbers Robert. Two back ups.

Tom Photiou
ThankYou 548

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Independent 8 - trouble with my phone line

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor