Making a new box.

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Part of the hobby for me has been the restoration of some 16mm feature boxes. Usually they can be quite worn, maybe have a tear, of have writing on them stating what it previously held. It has been necessary for me about 5 times so far to make a complete box, as these films arrived without boxes or cans. I have used other cardboard that we usually keep when we have something delivered. After measuring and cutting to size, then gluing, I paper the whole box, using a strong brown paper of a similar shade to the original film boxes. Finally, I print the title label; the best image of a poster I can find, and a still from the film; these two images are then laminated to protect them. One problem is finding cardboard of good, strong quality. This latest box used the best cardboard that was available to me at the time

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.27.2018 | Top

RE: Making a new box.

#2 by Douglas Warren , Sun May 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Those look great Robert! This may sound strange, but what I use are pizza boxes. I bought a batch of 50, plain white ones from a restaurant supply house here in the States. Many sizes are available. The size I picked can hold two '2000 reels per box. They're not very fancy, but do the trick for my needs.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork, Greg Perry, Bill Phelps and Mats Abelli

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun May 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Look great Robert.

Douglas more importantly what about the Pizzas ?

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork, Douglas Warren and Bill Phelps
Mark Mander
Last edited Sun May 27, 2018 1:26 pm | Top

#4 by Douglas Warren , Sun May 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Well the pizzas get ate first Mark. The grease is good for lubricating the films inside 😊

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork, Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#5 by Bill Phelps , Sun May 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Nice work! I have used 33 1/3 record album mailers to house super 8 features or single 1200' reels/spools in 8mm or 16mm. 1200' fits perfectly!

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Douglas, I had two films come in Pizza Boxes, and I covered them with the paper, and they look just like any other box. I glued the sides, then cut one end, so I could make a flap. Better than leaving reels exposed.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#7 by Douglas Warren , Sun May 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Here is my pizza boxes I use for film storage. The other photo is what I like to store 1200' or smaller films in. They're photo storage boxes bought from craft stores. Inexpensive but made well.

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson, Greg Perry, Tom Photiou, Tim Duncan and Eivind Mork

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#8 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 27, 2018 3:15 pm

That looks really nice, Robert! I have never thought about making boxes myself! A bit of work, but the result is superb!

And a good idea to buy many equal sized boxes, Doug. That would help in my somewhat chaotic 16mm department.

Two great ideas!

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Douglas Warren and Tim Duncan
Robert Crewdson sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#9 by Tim Duncan , Sun May 27, 2018 4:18 pm

It's a relief to know that I am not the only collector who puts much thought into how the films are stored! To myself, I seem fanatical at times!

Very nice work Robert! Your idea is inspiring!

Doug and Bill's ideas are great too!

Thanks all for sharing!

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Douglas Warren

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#10 by Maurice Leakey , Sun May 27, 2018 4:33 pm

There are many boxes commercially available in all sorts of sizes but it seems that pizza boxes are the only boxes which are square. Certainly worth considering.
For 16mm features I buy 2000ft 35mm cans, they will hold two 1600ft 16mm spools.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson and Douglas Warren
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#11 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Outstanding work!

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson and Douglas Warren
John Hourigan

#12 by Eivind Mork , Sun May 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Someone in the local club made one in wood. It is heavy duty and made to transport film safely, and not for permanent storage. I have thought about making something similar. I transport film i the car frequently between the cabin and home. Anyone done something similar?

Tim Duncan likes this

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Sun May 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Those look very nice Douglas and labelled. Glad there are others doing something similar, rather than leave a film exposed for years. I think the best box I made from scratch, from a better quality card, is at the bottom of this review: Siege of the Saxons (1963)

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.27.2018 | Top

#14 by Douglas Warren , Sun May 27, 2018 8:05 pm

The films laying about in those photos are now safely put away in boxes. Thanks, Robert, and overall it has proven to be an economical way for me to store my 16mm reels.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#15 by Greg Perry , Sun May 27, 2018 9:19 pm

I store some of my films in the archival cans which are made of polypropylene and have small ventilation slots and raised ribs to allow air flow under the film reel/spool. The downside is the cost of these adds up as the collection expands over time. I try to avoid the metal cans, as they seem to seal together extremely tightly as well as sometimes exhibit rust.

I really like the cardboard boxes---both the skillfully re-purposed cardboard ones that Robert has shared, and the new pizza boxes that Doug posted.
The ones with the artwork are a perfect complement to the film inside. I will try to make one myself sometime.

I do have some of the Pliomagic (?) plastic shipping containers that seem to be great for film transport/shipping, although I only use these for storage. You can see on this one, a big chunk missing from one corner! I would like to see a picture of the wooden transport box Eivind mentioned at some point, if available.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Bill Phelps and Robert Crewdson

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Sun May 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Douglas I just remembered that I had one film on a 1200ft reel come in a pizza box, then later I got another film that came without it's original box or can, and as the box holds two reels perfectly, I put both films in thee.I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I did at one time take pics of it in different stages, but they are gone now. Greg, very nice that you are also doing the best to look after your films. They are valuable to me, and I don't mean in a monetary way. Also, Super 8 films had attractive boxes, so I wanted my 16mm to be similar.

The following members like this: Greg Perry and Tim Duncan

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#17 by Bill Phelps , Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 pm

I also have some of those archival cans. Is Delicious Inventions Willy Wonka?

Robert Crewdson likes this

Bill Phelps
ThankYou 54

#18 by Greg Perry , Mon May 28, 2018 3:57 am

Yes, It is an educational excerpt of Willy Wonka and the color is very nice LPP! I have been wanting the complete film (letterboxed) for some time, and have missed out on a few in the past.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tim Duncan

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#19 by Bill Phelps , Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 am

Nice, I thought so. I have it too but it is red. My copy is only 600' long though. There are some splices and I think some is missing. Cool to have though.

The following members like this: Douglas Warren, Robert Crewdson, Tim Duncan and Greg Perry
Greg Perry sais Thank You!

Bill Phelps
ThankYou 54

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A lifetime in film

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor