TV Prints.

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 pm

I have no problem with red/faded prints, but what i don't like are those TV prints with low contrast. Fortunately I have just three ; 'Northern Pursuit', an Errol Flynn film I last saw on TV when I was 16, 'The Master of Ballantrae', Errol Flynn, and 'The Return of Monte Cristo', Louis Hayward. Northern Pursuit was the first, and I find I spend a lot of time focusing and re-focusing, and never being entirely satisfied, the same with Return of Monte Cristo, as you don't seem to get edge to edge sharpness. It was disappointing after finding a clip of Northern Pursuit on the TCM website, which had strong contrast. At first I thought it was a bad print that escaped lab inspection. The Master of Ballantrae is ok except in two brief scenes when it becomes pale. When I was new to 16mm and found there was more to learn, I thought some of my other prints must be theatrical copies, because of the perfect contrast; it is only the frequent cue marks that give them away.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: TV Prints.

#2 by Don Cunningham , Thu May 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I think 90% of my 16mm collection are TV prints. I am not entirely disappointed with the image, but I have noticed the focusing from scene to scene for a few.

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#3 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu May 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Anyone noticed those small bits of tin foil on TV prints? Would imagine they are for the advert breaks to be automated. I have also had a couple of prints with blooping tape on the soundtrack to cut a swear word out.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#4 by Robert Crewdson , Thu May 24, 2018 3:58 pm

I have come across that silver tape on one or two of mine. I wasn't sure what it was for, but left it alone. Don; I think the majority of prints are TV prints, but the rest of mine all have normal contrast; usually identified by the more frequent cue marks. One has Warner Bros for Television at the front, and another has Columbia Pictures Television at the end, but still good contrast. Beggars can't be choosers.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#5 by Eivind Mork , Thu May 24, 2018 6:15 pm

I love to learn about details of history like that with the silver tape!

I suspect most of my 16mm films to be TV prints, although some I know was used in the Norwegian merchant fleet.

I have Charade in b/w flat on 16mm, although the original is color and scope. I don't mind that at all while watching, though.

The following members like this: Bill Phelps and Robert Crewdson

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Robert Crewdson , Thu May 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Some scope films in flat work out very well, I've got two, no problem at all.

Tom Photiou likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#7 by Bill Phelps , Fri May 25, 2018 1:34 am

Charade is great film! Very much like Hitchcock capers. Makes me say...Carson Dyle.....I have lots of TV shows on 16mm and some features that are TV prints...most do have the metal tape at the commercial breaks.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Alan Ladd: My trip to Britain.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor