What’s your favorite digest in any gauge?

#1 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 pm

As we all know, digests can run from expertly edited to just downright awful. There are some great ones in my mind that stand out — the 200’ FRANKENSTEIN, 400’ CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (wish it wasn’t only in the faded 3D version), a lot of the Universal 8 400’ Universal horrors, and my first Super 8 sound film, I WANNA’ BE LIKE YOU (which is more of an extract than a digest).

Fun stuff!

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson
John Hourigan
Last edited Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm | Top

RE: What’s your favorite digest in any gauge?

#2 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't have many digests, but the best one would be a Columbia release 'Two Fisted Law' (1932) starring Tim McCoy, and an appearance from a young John Wayne. It's all about some bully trying to get a woman to sell her ranch. I did manage to later get the full feature on VHS, which is only about 1 hour or so. The digest is so well done, that the missing parts seem of no importance. It does have that narrator that seems to annoy Tom, 'Meanwhile, back at the ranch'. It was great for my father to see, as he was only a 10 year old in 1932, and Tim McCoy was his Aunt's favourite actor.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Bill Phelps, Douglas Warren and Eivind Mork

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

Last edited 05.23.2018 | Top

#3 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 4:33 pm

I'd say on super 8 Jaws 2x400 and Raiders of the lost Ark 400ft but that's two sorry,Mark

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Douglas Warren, Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson
Mark Mander

#4 by Douglas Warren , Wed May 23, 2018 4:36 pm

For me, it would have to be Columbia Films Super-8
400' release of "Fail Safe." It does a great job of getting the story across smoothly while retaining the suspense and tension of the full feature. Rare for Columbia, their annoying narrator is (thankfully), nowhere to be found on this digest.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Robert Crewdson

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#5 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Never seen that one Douglas,one to look out for,Mark

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson, Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren
Mark Mander

#6 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes, that Columbia narrator was cringe-inducing. Columbia’s 400’ 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH is actually a good digest, but because of the unnecessary and sophomoric narration, I’d never show Columbia digests to an audience.

“Suddenly the giant chicken attacks!” Not sure why the Columbia narrator had to describe on-screen action rather than fill in plot holes. Of course, Castle/Universal 8 never had to resort to narration.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson, Eivind Mork and Douglas Warren
John Hourigan
Last edited Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm | Top

#7 by Douglas Warren , Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Ken Films also suffered from the same awful narration at times. One of my favorites was in the "Poseidon Adventure" digest. As the ship rolls over, we hear "The great ship has capsized". Like that's not obvious by the action on the screen...Lol. Columbia was the worst offender by far. Their digests of " The Caine Mutiny" and "The Bridge on the River Kwai" were ruined by excessive, and unnecessary narration.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#8 by Eivind Mork , Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 pm

For me that's an easy one: Pinchcliff Grand Prix on a Super 8 400' which I bought too cheap from Vidar my first year of collecting. This is a Norwegian stop motion animation from the 70s and the film has a special place for me growing up with it.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Del Phillipson, Robert Crewdson and Douglas Warren

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

#9 by Vidar Olavesen , Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 pm

I think mine, even if the print I got is a bit faded, must be Alien. If it had been a 600’ it would have had the ending and be even better, but it does flow nicely, have the scenes it needs to be scary. I remember getting this and scared the crap out of the kids in my area.

But, Eivinds suggestion is a real good one too. Norways best film, imho

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#10 by Douglas Warren , Wed May 23, 2018 6:19 pm

I agree Vidar, Alien is a great digest. The funny thing is, the digest is edited in the way the original screenplay ended. What we saw as a feature was added later.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tim Duncan, Greg Perry, Martin Dew, Robert Crewdson and Vidar Olavesen

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#11 by Martin Dew , Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes, Alien is right up there. I also like Psycho, The Poseidon Adventure and both 10 and 30 minute versions of Jaws. All were really well edited.

Martin Dew
Date registered 10.07.2016
home: Henley-on-Thames
ThankYou 94

#12 by Panayotis Carayannis , Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm

SO THIS IS AFRICA (Columbia) with Wheeler and Woolsey

The following members like this: Eivind Mork, Tim Duncan, Greg Perry and Robert Crewdson
Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

#13 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 23, 2018 9:29 pm

I couldn't pick out a single film as a favourite,
At first thoughts i do like the 400ft versions of,
Young Frankenstein,Psycho, The Rose,

One that would have been a topper is The China Syndrome. A great little cut down and No narrator, unfortunately Columbia rushed this last ever 400ft edition out and the image is soft. It does ruin an otherwise excellent cut down.

As this thread is for the best digest i wont bore you with the worst. Theres lots of those to.

The following members like this: Martin Dew, Eivind Mork, Tim Duncan and Robert Crewdson

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#14 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Agree, Tom — there are ALOT of bad digests! 😮

The following members like this: Martin Dew and Robert Crewdson
John Hourigan

#15 by Bill Phelps , Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 am

I would say the one I was recently surprised by was BEN-HUR 400'....I've seen the 3 X 400' in scope and it was really good but I was really entertained by the 400' version. And the copy I have is full frame...did the 400' come in scope?

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew, Eivind Mork, Douglas Warren and Tim Duncan

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#16 by Tim Duncan , Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

I will choose, in the 16mm gauge, my cutdown of Walt Disney's "Old Yeller" (1957). It's mounted on a 1200' reel. The editing was extremely well done. It was released for the educational market under the Walt Disney Educational Media Company banner.

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson, Martin Dew and Eivind Mork

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

#17 by Tim Duncan , Thu May 24, 2018 9:51 am

Logo below

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Uploading pictures.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor