Do you deliberate?

#1 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 3:27 pm

When you see a film on a dealer's list or on Ebay with a BIN price; do you buy straight away, or do you take time considering, and if so, how long. My average time making up my mind is 1 to 3 weeks, even 3 months on two occasions. Usually this is because I have never seen the film before. I usually look at the entry for the film on Wikipedia to learn more, then I will go on to IMDB for reviews, then on to Amazon to see if it has been released digitally, so I can get more reviews; then maybe online biographies of the leading star, and finally, looking for clips on Youtube; and even then it still takes me time to come to a decision. I have been fortunate in that the films I was considering didn't seem to be of much interest to others, so I nearly always secured the film if I decided to go for it. Some of the films didn't have very good reviews, yet if I decided to take a chance, I haven't been disappointed so far. Just the opposite happened recently, I saw a film advertised that seemed interesting, maybe big name stars; I did all the usual checks, and everyone enthused over the film; I found a clip on Youtube, and decided it wasn't for me. My opinion was at odds with everyone else's. There have been a few times when I have seen a film and I have been desperate to secure it as soon as possible; as I knew if I didn't grab it, someone else would, and it might be goodbye for a long time, or forever, but on the whole, I'm slow in making up my mind.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Don Cunningham and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

RE: Do you deliberate?

#2 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Great question, Robert! For me, in this day and age, a BIG consideration is whether the print is color or black and white. Given fade is so prominent now, I now pretty much stick to purchasing black and white prints. Given that, I decide farly quickly whether I want to purchase a black and white print given there’s a lot less concern in my mind as to print quality — a color print nowadays would give me much pause as to whether to purchase it.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Douglas Warren and Robert Crewdson
John Hourigan

#3 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks John; my slow deciding is because i'm not sure if it's a film I will want to watch over and over again. If you make an error, you might have a problem selling it and getting back your original outlay. Lucky so far.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Douglas Warren

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#4 by Greg Perry , Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Robert,
I guess I do both. If it is a film that rarely shows up for sale then I will take the plunge immediately on a Buy It Now, or on a dealer's list--if the price isn't horrible. This happens maybe a three or four times a year.
But there are other films that are not commonly available which are listed at too high a price, or I am not yet 100% sure I really want it.
For those, I am content to wait and see if price comes down or I reach a decision. Still waiting...

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson, Don Cunningham and Douglas Warren

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#5 by Eivind Mork , Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

I normally know in advance what I want, and then I go for it. But sometimes, especially when the shipping is high, I wait and consider it.

After my space ran out, I have stopped buying films I don't know. Some exceptions to digests.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson, Don Cunningham and Douglas Warren

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#6 by Douglas Warren , Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm

For me, it depends upon the rarity of the title. Recently I picked up a 16mm, made for TV movie ("Larry", starring Fredrick Forrest.) I remember watching it at age 12 in 1974, and the repeat broadcast in 1975. I haven't seen it since that original airing. When a copy came up for sale, I grabbed it quickly. It's in black and white instead of color, but I don't mind that at all, just grateful to own a copy now.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson and Greg Perry

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#7 by Don Cunningham , Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Like the last few have mentioned, if it is a title that I know and can be scarce, I'll jump as quickly as possible on BUY IT NOW, given I can afford it. Mostly though, what I want is only through auction which is a beast given the titles I like. I once saw a 35mm title and thought about it for months, during that time the price lowered and lowered. When I thought about jumping on it then, someone else snatched it up. Oh well, it just wasn't for me.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson, Eivind Mork, Greg Perry and Douglas Warren

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#8 by Greg Perry , Wed May 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Yes, Don brings up a good point. Sometimes we wait too long and then when we do decide it's too late. This has happened to me a few times on items on both Phil's CHC lists, and Paul Foster's lists....

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Robert Crewdson and Douglas Warren

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#9 by Eivind Mork , Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 pm

I have a few times been really unsure to bid, but done it and then lost and ended up being relieved as I didn't spend a redicilous amount of money on it :-)

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Greg Perry and Douglas Warren

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#10 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm

What can be annoying is seeing a film on Ebay, that suddenly gets a lot of interest, then goes beyond what you are prepared to pay; and you find out that it was relisted, and the first time you could have got it for a song, but missing a few days looking at Ebay, you weren't aware it had been listed. I've been lucky in that anything I have desperately wanted, I have always secured. I know how Douglas feels. Last year I bought a film last seen on TV in the UK in 1969, even then at 15 or 16 I thought how wonderful it would be if I could own it, and 48 years later I got my wish. Better to me than gold

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#11 by Don Cunningham , Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 pm

One deliberation I did not make was the purchase of a 16mm feature by my cinematic hero. It had a decent opening bid and a VERY reasonable (for the rarity of this on film) BUY IT NOW price. I found it not too long after it was listed, likely within minutes, and told my wife. She quickly said, "Get it!" No argument.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan and Robert Crewdson

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

#12 by Robert Crewdson , Wed May 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Well Done Don. I usually had to wait a few days until I could get to a bank to transfer money to make sure it was covered. Now we also have online banking, so it was only waiting for the wife to come home to say I wanted a film, so she could move money between accounts. When I bought that film that I hadn't seen since 1969; after I had put money in the bank, I pestered the wife not to waste time with her shopping, as I wanted to get back home as soon as possible in case someone else bought it. I was almost sweating as I switched on the computer, and was relieved to find find it was still there. What a relief when you get the message 'Congratulations, you just bought this item'.

The following members like this: Tim Duncan, Eivind Mork, Don Cunningham and Tom Photiou

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#13 by Bill Phelps , Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 am

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

There are a couple subjects that I don't have to think at all if the price is right but generally I do watch stuff for a long time on eBay. On film lists or forum listings I make up my mind quicker as these tend to dwindle fast if I procrastinate too long. I have had happen what Robert explained, that is wanting something on ebay, watching it at a certain price, listing ends, days go by, its relisted at lower price and sold before I see it. That's always a bummer!

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Robert Crewdson and Tim Duncan

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#14 by Greg Perry , Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 am

Bill, I have seen something similar happen on ebay, but with a different outcome:
A film is listed, no bidders at that price, listing ends. Same item relisted a second time at a lower price.
Then bidding begins and the sell price ends up being much more than the price of the first listing which got no bids!
Just goes to show you, how maybe timing and other factors can make a difference in the prices we pay or receive on film....

The following members like this: Robert Crewdson and Tim Duncan

Greg Perry
ThankYou 358

#15 by Bill Phelps , Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 am

Very true. I have had that happen as well. Waiting can be good or bad depending on the timing.

Robert Crewdson likes this

Bill Phelps
Date registered 05.22.2018
home: Massillon Ohio USA
ThankYou 54

#16 by Tim Duncan , Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am

Many things that are being brought up are very familiar to me! :-) I smiled when I read Robert's first entry because I do much of what he does. Except, I'm doing this all at a frantic pace! Wikipedia, IMDB, YouTube trailer and film clips...
Then I'm frantically looking for my credit card if the price is comfortable for me! I USUALLY buy quickly, so that it can't be snatched by another buyer first. :-) I think I'm pretty good at knowing what I will like in advance, if I've never seen the film.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Robert Crewdson and Eivind Mork

Tim Duncan
Date registered 05.21.2018
ThankYou 39

Last edited 05.24.2018 | Top

#17 by Robert Crewdson , Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am

A few years ago a seller in the UK had a short 16mm film of Errol Flynn on the Ed Sullivan Show. It started at 99 pence. I missed the ending, and when I got home from shopping, found it ended with no bidders. He relisted it at about £30. I contacted him and said 'Last time it was 99 pence', he replied 'It's a very rare film'. He posted a clip on Youtube, and it had perforation damage, and as I had no means of repairing it at that time, I didn't want it at any price. He did sell it though, and the new owner must have been aware it had an issue.

Tim Duncan likes this

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#18 by Mats Abelli , Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm

It all depends of how much I want the title, price, condition etc. I can make a decision in a second or wait several months

The following members like this: Don Cunningham, Tim Duncan and Robert Crewdson

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#19 by Panayotis Carayannis , Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 pm

And what about a film that is listed at a price,nobody bids and then,next week it is relisted by the same seller at a higher price?

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tim Duncan and Robert Crewdson
Panayotis Carayannis  
Panayotis Carayannis
Date registered 12.05.2015
ThankYou 48

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What’s your favorite digest in any gauge?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor