A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies

#1 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm

My apologies if this has been discussed earlier at some point, but I was wondering what the forum membership thought of this book? While I was looking forward to reading it, I was actually disappointed in that the majority of the book focused on the mostly illegal pursuits of some film dealers of days gone by.

Anyone else read this book? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

The following members like this: Mats Abelli, Gwyn Morgan and Greg Perry
John Hourigan

RE: A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies

#2 by Mats Abelli , Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I have read the book. I found it interresting, but as you wrote, it´s mostly about illegal acts of some dealers and bootleggers.

Greg Perry likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

RE: A Thousand Cuts: The Bizarre Underground World of Collectors and Dealers Who Saved the Movies

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

I only read what was available online; I think it was concerning Roddy McDowall and his collection being seized. Some films have only survived because of private collectors. I did read somewhere, that MGM wanted to dispose of a lot of negatives, including 'Gone with the Wind', and the planned to dump them in a river, but the UCLA found out and requested them. Some time later, MGM wanted to make copies of GWTW and requested the loan of the negative that should have been dumped.

Mats Abelli likes this
Robert Crewdson

#4 by Gwyn Morgan , Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

John , i bought this book thinking it was going to about the modern day hobby and was sadly dissapointed certainly not what i thought it was going to be about.As said about old bootleggers and various people running there own underground home cinemas more on a commercial scale than todays collectors.
Not quite the read I thought it was going to be.

Mats Abelli likes this

Gwyn Morgan
home: Devon
ThankYou 270

#5 by Douglas Warren , Wed May 16, 2018 7:15 pm

I haven't read it yet but have seen a few excerpts. It mostly deals with the underground scene in the film collecting world during the 1970's. Anyone reading it thinking it typifies the modern film collector will be sorely mistaken and misinformed.

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Mats Abelli and Ian Partridge

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#6 by Greg Perry , Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm

I have read it, and while interesting, it is precisely what other members here have said. Just deals with the more shady side of film dealing...
Nothing wrong with the book, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to others because of its rather narrow focus.

Mats Abelli likes this

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 357

#7 by Maurice Leakey , Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 pm

I bought my copy with high hopes having read the advance information. But, like other members, I was very disappointed with the book.

Mats Abelli likes this
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

#8 by Ian Partridge , Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am

Yes. The book is a disapointing read. Not what I had anticipated. Since it focusses mainly on USA collectors of the 1970''s and their underground deals. It distorts what the film collecting hobby is. By concentrating on the sad aspects of aging and mental decline amongst film collectors whose eccentricity is highlighted salubriously by the authors.

There is quite a bit of useful information to be gleaned but it is all old history mostly about people motivated by money - not love of cinema.

Ian

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Greg Perry

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

Last edited 05.17.2018 | Top

#9 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Thu May 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks everybody. Seems that members’ reading experience with the book mirrors mine. Not only did I find the book disappointing, but it was downright depressing, populated with people who allowed their mostly illegal pursuits to take over their lives to the detriment of their marriages, etc. And it primarily focuses on people in which their obsession is reflected through a mental state in their declining years. Very sad.

The only upside to this book is that it’s a reminder to all of us to live a full life beyond just celluloid.

Thanks for all the comments!

The following members like this: Ian Partridge and Mats Abelli
John Hourigan

#10 by Mats Abelli , Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm

You are right John! It´s important to have a life, besides of our crazy but wonderful hobby.

Mats Abelli
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Happy birthday, Del

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor