A Priceless Informative Reference Manual or a Notice Board?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 am

As with all of these type of forums, I do often wonder when I read many a new post, not always only delivered by a newcomer I hasten to add,..just how many individuals treat the forums for just what they can be, an informative and invaluable treasure trove of useful information for evaluating just what may be the likely cause for a framing fault for example or just what particular films are in existence from all of the superb previous posts relating to such information.

I wonder if it is this option spoken about above that gets used the more frequently using the search bar features and a few very obvious key words, or indeed if some members see the forums as being little more than a notice board like a post stick note stuck to our fridges or boiler covers, in other words a brief memo or shout out or reminder just for the here and now to discuss only what may be relevant to somebody or another on any given day?

There are countless examples that I see where the same kinds of questions arise over and over again I notice, and some that appear posted in a heartbeat without any prior research to the likely answer or outcome to many a particular dilemma.

How do others see it and how do they use the forums?
Do you yourselves find yourselves digging for information on these places that probably is already buried in their archives somewhere?

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Ian Partridge likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 08, 2018 1:52 pm | Top

RE: A Priceless Informative Reference Manual or a Notice Board?

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Don't all reply at once will you.

I wonder if I typed "flogging a dead horse" into the various film forums search bars, just how often they would find this expression has been posted on these places?

Quite a few I'd bet.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 08, 2018 2:34 pm | Top

#3 by Greg Perry , Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 pm

I would say I use this Forum in both ways. I have done a lot of searching regarding Beaulieu projectors to learn more about repair-type issues these particular projectors may face (for example). Based on one's choice of keywords, the results may or may not answer the question at hand. Of course, the info may actually exist but was merely not found as a result of how the search was phrased. Successful searches are essentially an "invisble" activity to the other members of the forum. I find what I am looking for and go about my day. If I cannot find what I need, at that point, either a Forum post is made for an answer, or a PM is sent to a known subject matter expert (e.g. Beaulieu = Woodcock).

My other use of the Forum is replying to member's posts, providing positive/negative feedback, seeing what others have purchased or have been viewing etc. This type of usage is "visible", but only if I respond in some way. If I just view the posts without commenting etc, my use of the forum in this manner is not known to others (except maybe the moderators?).

I hope I understood your post clearly as to what you were asking. My only point here is to make mention that a potentially large amount of Forum use can take place behind the scenes---so to speak. It IS a priceless encyclopedia, and it is also an online "meeting" place for informal discussions.

Greg Perry
Date registered 07.07.2017
home: Minnesota USA
ThankYou 358

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 pm

I am pleased to hear you benefit from the forums in both ways then Greg. To me, this is how they are intended to work, not only to post on topical matters to hand but also to find out information regarding many of the questions we all need answering at times.
I don't believe there are too many experts out there on nigh on all of the machines and films left in circulation, past employees and service techs excluded of course, but there will always be users and owners of such, past or present with a decent amount of experiences to share.

Greg Perry likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 08, 2018 4:00 pm | Top

#5 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm

I think forums are ideal references for several things,
reviews / screen shots of what is out there,
repair / service references and (especially) help for all who are in need of keeping there equipment going.
friendly chat with like minded people,
Help for when someone is stuck. No ,matter how good or bad anyone is with there hobby there is always a huge benefit when you can call into a forum and get good sound free advice. I also like to share my own minor repairs and services on both my 16 and 8mm machines. I do hope others have found it useful but if not, hey ho, i still enjoy putting them all up here, and the other channel occasionally, along with my reviews. This particular forum makes life easy with it's very user friendly image upload.
Oh, i forgot, also ideal for some people to sell and buy. . I know not everyone agrees with things every time but i like to think generally, everyone gets along.

Greg Perry likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 am

So then Tom, we know you like to frequently post on the forums, but do you also find yourself at times, using the search bar on forums to find out a specific detail you may be seeking on occasions?

If you do, then how effective do you find the results from your searches in giving you the information you seek?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed May 09, 2018 8:49 am | Top

#7 by Tom Photiou , Wed May 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I do Andrew,normally i find what im looking for,(it is rare i use it though), but in the instance of trying to find a thread i did a while ago about that war effort we made i couldn't find it, but that's the first time iv not been able to find something. Usually if i wanted to search for "Elmo repair" or shutter problem it does tend to work fine.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

Good to hear Tom. I shall try to retrieve your War home made movie post now I'm off Tom.

I can remember roughly when it was posted here and vaguely what topics of conversation it was posted in I think.

Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Whether members deem information from a search or simply asking questions (even if it has been asked before) is what counts in the long run. In other hobby forums, I've seen members get downright snarky at times when repetitive questions get asked. Be polite and be a class act, and not act like a wanker to others. After all it's just a hobby and is supposed to be fun.

Douglas Warren
Date registered 01.24.2018
home: West Chester, Ohio
ThankYou 40

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Some good points Douglas but none which particularly answer the questions which I initially asked,.. so how do you use the forums, for just for posting on, or both of its different uses at times?

I'd say your final sentiments there Douglas apply to every aspect of life whether applicable to just a hobby for fun or otherwise.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm | Top

#11 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Both Andrew, as I sometimes search for a particular item, but as I did earlier, I replied to add to another thread. Some just prefer to cruise in and read others posts (lurkers.) Nothing wrong with that either. I co-moderate a film forum on Facebook. We have hundreds of members, and not everyone posts but you know they're at least reading (and most often liking) posts.

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:12 pm

We have many many lurkers/ readers here also Douglas!

As you say Douglas, nothing fundamentally wrong with any of that so long as some people do bother to post some new articles in these places.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm | Top

#13 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Indeed we do and again, as long as members enjoy the forum in any and all ways and forms, it's all good in my book.

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#14 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm

It is but as with all of these type of places, new stimulus is required to keep them vibrant and worth keeping for the long term.

Andrew Woodcock

#15 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 4:22 pm

That will come about naturally or if not, it's time to close shop or simply stagnate. You can't force people to post if they don't have something to say. Keep it inviting and relaxed, and people will eventually post.

Greg Perry likes this

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#16 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 pm

I must say Douglas, that I have probably asked questions in the other forum without searching their posts first.

Robert Crewdson

#17 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Same here Robert, and I think that's true of most of us. It's human nature when we're seeking answers.

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:29 pm

As you say Douglas, if people want to post something, then they will, if they either don't want to or perhaps have nothing to add, then they won't. It is as simple as that really from all I have seen everywhere regarding film forums.
Some have next to no new input from one month to another very sadly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 pm | Top

#19 by Douglas Warren , Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Very true Andrew and also true of most forums, regardless of content and interest. There will always be the heavy hitters (postings) and the guys on the bench (lurkers.)

Douglas Warren
ThankYou 40

#20 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Yes, that much has always been the same, the heavy hitters as you term, is what is fading across them all.

Maybe there is perhaps less to talk about now than previously before from the lurkers perspective?

Douglas Warren likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 4:42 pm | Top

#21 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Agree, Doug. It’s the same as anything in life; some people will participate in things to the hilt. Others are content otherwise.

Any forum is no different than that. And that’s okay.

John Hourigan

#22 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Everything's okay John either way.
Forums are not mandatory to participate in, but if a member, it's usually because that person has an interest and wants to enthuse about it with others. Otherwise, not too much point in joining one I don't see.

Andrew Woodcock

#23 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Everything's okay John either way.
Forums are not mandatory to participate in, but if a member of one, it's usually because that person has an interest and wants to enthuse about it with others. Otherwise, not too much point in joining one I don't see.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 pm | Top

#24 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 4:53 pm

#20 Yes, Andrew, I believe that’s a component of it. The film collecting hobby has always been a niche market. Now that the halcyon days of the 1970s and early 1980s are over, the hobby has become even more niche and targeted. As a result, it makes sense that the quantity of discussions would be affected, too.

John Hourigan

#25 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri May 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Regarding forum discussion surrounding Super 8mm film collecting, I'd say the halcyon days were actually far later than those years John.
Certainly they were in this country anyhow, maybe not in sale numbers by the general public, but certainly from a collecting enthusiasts niche market standpoint and regarding the enthusiasm among collectors.
Since the dawn of the internet and therefore the subsequent rise of online forums, much of the discussion was surrounding many of the later years of film collecting on eight.
In that respect not a lot has changed really as Derann has been closed for a number of years now anyhow.

When I joined the 8mm forum shortly after the days Derann had only just shut for good, talk on the entire 8mm collecting scene was vibrant and healthy, not so many years back really when you think about it..

There are now more forum years under the belt with Derann shut now, than when they were open.
In that respect, not a lot has changed except the numbers posting about their collections etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri May 11, 2018 6:03 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Reel Image Spring 2018 & Blackhawk Films' Catalogs

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 2
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor