Do You Shoot It?

#1 by Don Cunningham , Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:48 pm

A question I am curious to ask film collectors. You collect film, but how many of you shoot it? I do, not often, but when funds allow I'll grab a super 8 cartridge.

I am a film maker at heart and hopefully will be producing my 2nd movie in the coming year. It will be shot on 16mm. As film goes, shooting is expensive but yields beautiful results when done right. So, how many of you still have an 8mm, super 8, or 16mm camera capturing life?

Don Cunningham
Date registered 02.13.2018
home: Texas
ThankYou 33

RE: Do You Shoot It?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm

I have had plans for a few years, bought film including processing, but yet to start. Scared of the camera not working, but hope it works and might shoot it this summer

Don Cunningham likes this

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Don Cunningham , Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Quote: Vidar Olavesen wrote in post #2
I have had plans for a few years, bought film including processing, but yet to start. Scared of the camera not working, but hope it works and might shoot it this summer

A working camera is always a fear, but you never know until you try. I just ordered a roll of 16mm color reversal to test out a Bolex camera I recently acquired. Have fun shooting!

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#4 by Don Cunningham , Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 pm

My spool of 16mm stock arrived Friday so I spent a bit of Saturday and Sunday shooting around my town. I mailed it to the lab yesterday for processing; hoping it comes out well (at least showing the camera doesn't have any issues) so I can gauge the equipment.

The following members like this: Vidar Olavesen and Greg Perry

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#5 by Vidar Olavesen , Tue May 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Would love to see the result :-)

Don Cunningham sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#6 by Don Cunningham , Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Good or bad, I'll try to post some frames when I get it back.

Tom Photiou likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#7 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 pm

As to your original question, while I primarily collect films, I did buy a Super 8 camera and shot some films in the early 1980s. However, I was never really satisfied with the results as I couldn’t fight the feeling that it had too much of that “home movie look,” even when employing light meters, etc. I was working in broadcasting at that time, so my expectation of quality was really high, something that shooting Super 8 could never really emulate given it was/is, at its very essence, an amateur gauge.

After a couple of years, I got rid of the camera and went back to focusing my Super 8 pursuits on film collecting.

John Hourigan
Last edited Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 pm | Top

#8 by Tom Photiou , Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

We use to shoot a lot of super 8, made plenty of scilly nonsense, but glad we did as when we view it we remember many great times and fun, jumping in the car to Dartmoor to shoot great scenes and even a couple of cowboys films and civil was set shorts, one running for 20 minutes, completely technical rubbish but some sound effects and a bit of music makes it fun. Great fist fights in the freezing water, and of course our film set during WW2, which won us an IAC blue seal award and a Kodak gold certificate. This one film was our only serious attempt and it was superb fun. |In between all this was us growing up on STD 8 colour silent and our own kids from babies on super 8 direct sound.
i did have images from our war effort but i cant find the thread.

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

#9 by Don Cunningham , Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Super 8 is easier to shoot than 16mm due to the cartridges. My previous attempt at a 16mm test was awful. I had a Krasnogorsk-3 that jammed. Luckily, the shoot was a test for the camera, but the end product was unusable and I got rid of the camera. I then bought a Bolex Non-Reflex and went to my friend that runs a local cinema museum. He attempted to spool exposed film through the camera; didn't make it past the gate, so I got rid of the camera. My current 16mm camera that I just shot with, another Bolex, but a reflex model, I tested with a roll of exposed film from my friend and it ran through the mechanism fine. Next step was to shoot with fresh stock and see if there are any intermittent issues.

The film has been processed and is going to be delivered to me today!!! I feel like a child waiting with anxiousness for Christmas morning.

The following members like this: Eivind Mork and Mats Abelli

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#10 by Eivind Mork , Mon May 21, 2018 3:56 pm

I have shot and developed 3 50' Super 8 three years ago. I bought 3 more cartridges last year. Shot two of them, but haven't developed them yet. Will shoot the last one this summer and develop. I love it. I shot two of the films at the same place my parents shot films 50 years ago. My parents are on the film. It is so cool to have films of them on 8mm with 50 years apart. I have never tried 16mm. That would be fun, but I think I will stick to 8mm for now. Quite expensive, it is.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#11 by Robert Crewdson , Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm

I can't afford to shoot 16mm now; your talking at the cheapest, £95 including processing for 4 minutes of film. I have a Krasnogorsk 3 , and had no problems. You need a special battery adaptor as the original batteries are no longer available. I just sold a Bolex reflex that I had 9 years and never used. I have at present 4 B&H Filmo 70s of different types, including the original from about 1925. My problem that I found with one other B&H camera that I sold on, was that the lens only went down to f16, and the light meter told me I needed f22. I had to keep waiting for the sun to go in.

Robert Crewdson
Date registered 05.19.2018
home: United Kingdom
ThankYou 176

#12 by Don Cunningham , Mon May 21, 2018 4:24 pm

I found the problem with the K3 I had after shooting, a piece was missing from the film guide which ensured the film did not move forward. 16mm is expensive, but being that my next short subject will be shot on the format, I need to ensure that I am comfortable with it (loading in darkness, keeping the camera wound, etc.). I have sought assistance with funding the project but have to wait for the committee results at the end of August/early September. I am not getting my hopes high as Texas, especially Austin, has a lot of people making "movies" and will be applying for funds from the limited pool as well.

Anyway, hoping that the footage arriving proves my camera works!

Greg Perry likes this

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#13 by Robert Crewdson , Mon May 21, 2018 5:20 pm

I was lucky, I got mine as New but old stock; it came from a warehouse in Moscow.

Robert Crewdson
ThankYou 176

#14 by Don Cunningham , Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm

The film looks very good with strong color. Since this was strictly for camera testing, I shot in different conditions (shadows, full sun, interior, etc.) and the stock performed very well for reversal. Until I can get a new editing PC, here are some cell phone snapshots taken over my tablet (for bright lighting) thus you will see odd "screen-like" webbing from the light source. First up is a picture of a mural in town. The center figure is Texas Ranger Cpt. John Coffee Hays (which I portrayed in a documentary and my profile picture is from).

Eivind Mork likes this

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#15 by Don Cunningham , Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Here is a shot (with the LED webbing) of the Palace Theater in my town. It houses a cinema museum which showcases the various gauges of film, projectors, and other curiosities.

Vidar Olavesen likes this

Don Cunningham
ThankYou 33

#16 by Robert Crewdson , Tue May 22, 2018 3:49 pm

All looks very good Don.

Don Cunningham sais Thank You!

Robert Crewdson