RE: Alberto's advanced striping and recording services

#26 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 pm

As it pertains to “new services” and “new releases,” I would advise members of this forum to not takes cues from the other forum, particularly as it pertains to the serious issue of copyright. A year or so ago, I asked my membership in the other forum to be deleted as I can’t be associated with a forum that condones/promotes copyright infringement due to my professional work with copyright every day. That forum devolved into promoting highly illegal practices (e.g., selling Super 8 prints struck from DVDs [!], etc.) — as a result, those types of things should not make it into this forum at all.

There are many things more important than film collecting — copyright law being one of them. One can be a film collector but still follow applicable laws. I would advise that this forum membership not take its cues from the other forum for that very reason.

Ian Partridge likes this
John Hourigan
Last edited Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 pm | Top

#27 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:53 pm

You are now talking about re-recording the soundtrack from the film that you supplied and paid tax on, but the earlier post talks of re-recording soundtracks from DVDs, Blu-ray, VHS. Money is changing hands. That doesn't make us killjoys because we won't turn a blind eye to something illegal. There is really no case for argument here. It's illegal full stop.

David Alligan likes this
Robert Crewdson

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Robert, I'm talking of recording ONTO the films mag stripes the soundtrack that has had the tax and royalties legally paid for in this country, replacing it with a replica cleaner digital version using the DVD two track or single mono track soundtrack that has also been purchased here, and as such has had the tax and royalties legally paid for here also.

That's what we do, that's what happens, this is how its done.

You are simply erasing one legitimately paid for soundtrack and overlapping it with another identical track from a different master material also legally purchased with all taxation and royalties pre paid.

For 16mm and 35mm collections there are countless examples of where the prints themselves are in the wrong hands to begin with so far as ownership is concerned, so that is why I wouldn't make a song or dance from any of these film lovers and collectors activities.

I doubt hardly any collector could come out of it all completely unscathed if we all followed the rules of all of this copyright stuff to the letter of the law.

I know I'd do far better than many, that much I do know.
Few if any film collectors are whiter than white when it comes to paying the correct levy to the correct authorities for all that we enjoy on film as private collectors.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 pm | Top

#29 by David Alligan , Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Andrew how do you know the replacement sound has all copyrights paid for legally if Alberto is using a dvd he has to get copyright permission to use the soundtrack for recording purposes .
I had to get permission from Steve Simmonds to bring out the derann dvd

David Alligan  
David Alligan
Date registered 07.11.2016
home: Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK
ThankYou 45

#30 by Mats Abelli , Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 pm

All non--American collectors owning Hal Roach prints from Blackhawk, have print breaking the licence rules as well as non-Eu collectors owning Derann/Disney prints.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Dave I never said Alberto or anyone else had copyright permission all I said is that the royalties and taxation had been paid already on all products.

Dave, given that I've granted you the courtesy of answering your questions to me, how about you yourself answering a few I sent your way earlier?

As said Dave, given your strict adhesion to obeying the copyright laws at all times, I'm sure all Super 8mm collectors will do as I do now and respect your and other people's wishes of similar ilk, by having Alberto stripe the films and then we can record them ourselves.

I hope this meets with your and others approval Dave.

I'm living in a parallel universe, of that I'm certain!

Don't mention the Minions! Ssssshhhhhhh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r3--BfSdG5g

"Yes I agree we're reading tissue paper...."

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 am | Top

#32 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 am

i think I've exhausted myself on this subject, but will say that if Derek Simmonds or anyone else paid for the copyright for the films he sold, that doesn't give anyone the right to record the same soundtrack from another source. Also Alberto is offering to re-record in another language, so he's not lifting the soundtrack from your film and re-laying it. The problem that I seem to have getting across is that it is illegal when it's profitable. You saw this yourself if you read an earlier post. Doing a favour for a friend or recording for yourself might be OK, but this is a business venture. If you think that this is all perfectly legal, and I've got it wrong, you could always contact the relevant EU minister for clarification, and post his reply in the forum.

I think it would be many years since any 16mm prints fell into the wrong hands; all films bought through the forums or from dealers are all legitimate; any problem would be with the first owner, not subsequent ones.

Robert Crewdson

#33 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:07 am

What even those solely owned by the BBC or ITV Robert?

Many which are missing in action and are one offs.

People in glass houses springs to mind Robert!

This is a film forum FFS. Why people cannot simply rejoice and salivate in the fact is simply way way beyond me now,...that's my point!!!!

Oh so first owner only takes all of the spanking does he?
Well that all makes it fair, proper and all above board then Robert!!!
I don't think so somehow.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 11:39 am | Top

#34 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 am

Some years ago I bought a BBC DVD of Dusty Springfield; the BBC had sent copies of these shows to all parts of the Commonwealth with instructions that after the broadcast the films were to be destroyed. These shows were discovered in a vault in New Zealand; they hadn't carried out their instructions; and the BBC in London are probably very glad as they are now making money out of what should be lost films.

As you know Walton, Derann, Mountain, and DCR all brought out some of the same titles when one company's copyright expired, and although Walton might pay the copyright to release 'Oh Mr Porter', when it expired, DCR would have to pay for the rights to release the title themselves. When my father got paid for his articles he was told that payment only covered the first printing; if anyone wished to reprint anything he had written, then he would be entitled to be paid again.

Maybe this thread should be locked now as it's leading nowhere

Robert Crewdson
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 am | Top

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:27 am

Indeed it is our supremo!

Awkward questioning or otherwise, lock it Robert,.. it's going nowhere and only ever cements in my mind just what we are left with now in this hobby.

Not so much unfortunately!

Good night Robert, John, Dave,...sleep well.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue May 01, 2018 12:02 pm | Top

#36 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue May 01, 2018 12:30 am

The law was changed; only the first owner could be charged if they had obtained the film illegally, subsequent owners bought the films in good faith. If this was not so then Phil Sheard wouldn't sleep at night wondering when the police are going to call.

Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
When the hobby becomes an obsession.

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor