A Van Eck Spondon?

#1 by Maurice Leakey , Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:39 pm

I note with interest that Edwin is in the process of bringing out a rewinder which appears to be two single "legs" which are mounted by clamps to a bench or table. I seriously wonder if this will be a good seller as most of us already have rewinders.

However, the two "legs" could be the basis for the making of a new Spondon Long Play Unit which I consider would be much more a saleable item, particularly if it had the facility for interchangeable heads for the different film gauges. I have never seen a Spondon but I understand it's something like a large rewinder on which a projector stands (to add weight for stability) and has a separate motor for the take-up.

I, for one, would order one. I understand that Spondons are highly desirable and that any that appear for sale are quickly snapped up.

How about it, Edwin?

The following members like this: Greg Perry, Tom Photiou and John Armer
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

RE: A Van Eck Spondon?

#2 by Stuart Reid , Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Maurice, Andrew floated that very idea, and I must say it's a good one. For those of us unable to stretch to a Fumeo or a good Beaulieu, a long play unit would be a great way of watching full length features without a break. It's whether or not Edwin could conceivably bring it in at a good price to appeal to the collectors.

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#3 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am

I am sure that Andrew would be able to offer his expertise to such a project. It could also be used as a rewinder.
Can anyone post a picture showing a Spondon in operation with a projector?

Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 04.10.2018 | Top

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 am

Certainly Maurice :)).

In fact next time I have the Bauer out from the lock up I will post a few photographs and a short video of it in run and in rewind mode with the projector in situ.

g506p2872-Bauer-T-c-w-Spondon-LPU.html

In run I am sure it would only whet the appetite even more for those who already feel they may be able to benefit from such an item.
It works with the Bauer even smoother and quieter than even the long play projectors operate at.

I can understand any prospective manufacturer now being extremely cautious of offering such a device even on a very limited scale.
It would be fabulous of course if any would, but if we consider the raw material costs, one of these can never be made super inexpensively if even remotely decent parts are chosen.
The motor alone from the original Spondon LPU is now £51 each delivered.
The PSU would be at least a tenner and then there is the parts that do have to be machined quite besides the 3D printed parts required plus the motor controller board.

The adapters required to use with Super 8mm films are also around £60 per pair, cheapest price available now.

I don't believe the base plate, rubber feet, aluminium extrusions and end caps would be overly expensive though, nor do I feel the right angled mounting brackets or mounting bolts for the legs would necessarily be expensive to source and fabricate.

I've yet to find a suitable alternative motor coupling however if the originals prove difficult to find now.
The originals are a terrific compact design and it would be difficult to find any other type that would fit neatly into the box section.

Some projectors may also need the spindle hubs grounding too to block static electrical noise being transmitted and then discharged through to the projectors amplifier via the sound heads.
This would need some kind of internal brush facility to allow this to happen which may have to be offered as an optional extra for certain models of projector.
The static generated by these type of machines can act as a small capacitor until a common earth is provided to the LPU and projector, especially if then the sound is to be externally processed and then amplified via a mixer unit etc etc.

If one were to made at any point in time by Edwin, rather than the Van Eck Spondon, surely it should be named the VELPU system. (Van Eck Long Play Unit) 😁😁

Spondon was after all only the trade name of the manufacturer, not the name of the unit itself, although by association, just like we call a vacuum cleaner a Hoover still, many do refer to these units simply as a Spondon.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:07 pm | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 am

Also, I'd be most interested to find out what these units were priced at originally given the quality of the parts chosen and its build.

I've looked through my FFTC mags and Movie Maker mags etc etc but though I have seen the words in print of these units in small advertisements from that time by the Spondon company, I've never actually seen a price given for the units.

So if anyone has an ad with prices included or indeed maybe someone like David here purchased his brand new from the company back then, then I'd most interested and appreciate of any details they may be able to offer along with the year these details applied to.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lost Film?

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor