Pointless ebay sellers

#1 by Stuart Reid , Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:58 am

Can't get my head around the guy on eBay trying to sell batches of 10 16mm features for £1200. The listing says "choose from the films in the photos" but there's only a couple of blurry shots of a few film cans! Surely, SURELY he should have worked out by now that a sensible per-film listing with pics and honest description is going to appeal to bidders much more than this random crap-shoot?

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

RE: Pointless ebay sellers

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Probably just seeking enquiries and then he may feel he can take his chances by piling some of his unwanted on them.

There are loads of different and unusual ploys people come up with to attempt to generate interest, but hardly any of these type of sales would interest the genuine collectors such as yourself I bet, once you delved deeper.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:16 pm | Top

#3 by Barry Attwood ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Who's got a spare £1200 these days up front for 10 features, it does make you wonder, don't it!

Barry Attwood

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Probably countless people if the film's were the right ones, but what are the chances of that?
Very little to none in this case, I suspect.

My 1200 is here sat in waiting if anyone wants to offer me decent prints of Robocop, Silence Of The Lambs, Die Hard 2, Jurassic Park and 6 others of similar ilk.
On Super 8mm of course.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 pm | Top

#5 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:51 pm

There is guy who ran a cinema trust, he's trying to sell his collection in one go. Most of the films may not appeal to you, then you have to try and sell them on.

Robert Crewdson

#6 by Stuart Reid , Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Exactly Robert, but as it's presumably his collection, and he probably knows the titles and conditions then why not just list them individually? Much more likely to get interest for individual items.

Maybe he's trying to cut down on eBay fees?

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#7 by John Hourigan ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:01 pm

I don’t mean to speak blasphemy, but not sure why people worry about ebay so much. At the end of the day, it’s not much better than a crap shoot. A few years back, I gave up on ebay after buying “sound” prints that turned out to be silent, Super 8 films that turned out to be Standard 8, etc. The list goes on and on.

We collectors need to be much more discerning, and not just simply take a chance on eBay because it’s a much-sought-after title.

John Hourigan
Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm | Top

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

The thing is John, here in the UK and from what I see of it, the same in the U.S., some of the most unusual and sought after titles on Super 8mm DO at times, still show up on ebay. This isn't at all surprising seeing as most of our dealers now here seldom if ever, have any A listed Super 8mm feature titles.
While ever this remains the case, there is little to no other choice as to where else you may shop for such items unless you know all of the collectors personally who may be looking to offload at a time that is right for both seller and buyer.

Ebay can be risky, but if the right data is submitted or the right questions are asked at the time of sale, then there isn't too much risk over and above other means of buying films now.

Buying blind at boot sales, flea markets and charity shops etc etc, is by far more risky.

If the dealers were to pay more and expect a far less margin of profit, I am certain things would look very different and this would benefit buyers and sellers alike of such items.
You would then begin to build up old fashioned relationships etc between dealer and customer again, just like we used to have.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:30 pm | Top

#9 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 pm

When it comes to 16mm, myself and a few others are using Ebay more as the titles we want are not coming up on the dealer's lists. So far in using Ebay to buy films, books, coins, antiques or anything else, I haven't run into any conmen. What we have to remember is that one dealer will give you £30 and sell for £100, so people are selling direct and cutting out the middleman. There are conmen of course, but the majority are honest sellers.

Robert Crewdson

#10 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Give £70 or £80 to get back £100 on one day and then £400 on another, then we may stand a chance of a viable alternative.

The reason I say £100 - £400, is because these really are realistic variations I have seen of a similar set of prints on 8 sell for, very much dependent only on any given day and it's own set of circumstances and fortunes.

Sometimes in this hobby, there is no rhyme or reason to what prices are paid on any given day, but then again, here we are once again deliberating on a film forum all about money and prices yet again (!!!) instead of enthusing and sharing with all "our latest purchase" with screenshots for us all to enthuse over!!

How very very sad.

I bet a stockbrokers forum looks no worse than our own these days!

Who cares what price, or how much paid or sold for on an hour to hour or regular daily basis?
Certainly no no no not I!! 😝😝

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:48 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
New members, please read

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor