Michael Burrows, Film Historian.

#1 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm

This name will be unknown to most of you I would imagine. It would be about 8 years ago that I was looking for a more modern 16mm projector; I wasn't happy with my antiquated manual threader, that only had tone control, and the light output was poor. I saw one online, a Bell & Howell 6558D, which later became the TQ1, plus there were lots of extras. It was only £100. It was being sold on behalf of Michael Burrows, at that time, the name meant nothing to me. I was given a contact number, and rang him, he lived in Cornwall. He was really looking for someone to collect it, but I couldn't do that. He didn't think it possible for him to send everything to me, but I persisted, saying I would pay whatever the cost of carriage was. We got talking, and I discovered that he was a film historian, and publisher of several books. He told me that he had kept up regular correspondence with actor Fredric March most of his life, and later Gene Kelly. The reason for selling, was that he used to travel , giving film shows and lectures, but now he was around 80 years old, he was finding it all to much, so it was for sale. While talking about films and stars, I mentioned Zero Mostel, and he said only a real film enthusiast would know that name, then he said that he wanted me to have the projector, as it was going to a real film enthusiast. Fortunately, he had a friend who was delivering about 30 miles from here, and would make the extra mileage for £60, so I agreed. For £160 I got a projector, two tripod screens, a top flight projector stand, splicer, some shorts, and a number of empty reels, plus a fibre case. I did keep in touch with Michael for a while, but not wishing to seem as though I was forcing my friendship on him, I stopped corresponding. Something made me look online tonight to see if he was still alive, as I thought if possible I would let him know that I'm still getting pleasure from my purchase. I discovered that he died two years ago, so would like to pay this permanent tribute to someone who was involved with film for much of their life.

Michael Burrows, the film historian, who has died aged 86, became a renowned authority on the golden age of Hollywood, after a successful career in business.
A lifelong cineaste, he devoted his later years to writing and lecturing on the cinema greats across the country, inspiring a new generation of film lovers with his enthusiasm.
Michael Burgess Burrows was born at Beeston, Nottinghamshire, on July 15 1929, and educated at West Bridgford Grammar School in Nottingham. He started his career at the Westminster Bank in the city’s Thurland Street, before joining the East Midlands Electricity Board in his early twenties.
In 1953 Burrows became the youngest Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and
Administrators. His career took him across the country, but he finally settled with his family in Cornwall in 1975, where he lectured in business law at Plymouth (Devonport) College of Further Education.
His true passion, however, was Hollywood in its 20th-century heyday. As a young boy growing up in Beeston he eagerly took in all the latest releases at his local cinema, the Palace, often winning tickets as prizes in film quizzes.
Later in life, he created the publishing company Prime Style Limited and wrote numerous books on film actors, writers and directors, among them John Ford, Mario Lanza, John Steinbeck and the actresses Patricia Neal and Margaret Sullavan. He also created the Mario Lanza Foundation, which supports young singers.
Burrows lectured to film fans in cinemas from Penzance to Inverness, treating them to the stories behind the Hollywood glamour, covering the lives of luminaries such as John Wayne, Charles Laughton and John Ford, with all proceeds going to the Royal Theatrical Fund and the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund.
Burrows corresponded with many of the subjects of his books, and in Gene Kelly: Versatility Personified, the celebrated dancer, actor and director revealed that although Singin’ in the Rain was his favourite film, he held “sentimental thoughts” for several of his other pictures. “I admired Inherit the Wind very much indeed,” Kelly explained, “and I think it succeeded in projecting truth. I enjoyed doing it because it had something to say, but in all truth the real reason I accepted the part was because I wanted the great experience of acting with Fredric March and Spencer Tracy at the same time; two of the giants of the American motion picture.”
Latterly Burrows contributed regularly to the magazine Movie Memories, in which he explored the lives of Alexander Knox, Edward G Robinson, Anne Baxter and Robert Newton.
He was an expert on the work of the actor Fredric March – who won Oscars for his films Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1932) and The Best Years of our Lives (1946) – and particularly his 1941 picture So Ends Our Night, based on a novel by Erich Maria Remarque, in which March plays a German fleeing the Nazi the regime.
“He gave his greatest performance in that film,” Burrows wrote, “which, with its masterly blend of tragedy, compassion – and that particular brand of humour necessary to sustain the hearts of those who lived without roots – chronicled the lives of those refugees who wandered homeless across the face of Europe.”
Michael Burrows was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
He is survived by Daphne, his wife of 62 years, a son and two daughters.
Michael Burrows, born July 15 1929, died November 10 2015

The following members like this: Clyde Miles, Martin Dew, Greg Perry and Ian Partridge
Robert Crewdson

RE: Michael Burrows, Film Historian.

#2 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 am

That is a most moving tribute there Robert. Your projector and accessories has now taken on a whole new importance no doubt given your findings.
The fact he was a former C.E.G.B worker makes me feel as though I'd have had much in common with this chap in conversation, had I only had the privilege to have known him.

No doubt "The Lamps Dark" method of synchronization among generator sets will be present forever, wherever we go to in our after life!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:06 am | Top

#3 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 am

Yes it certainly has Andrew; I left his sticker on the projector, but two years after I got it I had to send it away for a new worm gear and service, so to avoid confusion I removed the sticker. He was very interesting to talk to.

Robert Crewdson

#4 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 am

Wherever you now are Michael, enjoy remembering this.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

#5 by Ian Partridge , Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Interesting to read about Michael Burrows. His knowledge on Fredrick March and 'So Ends Our Night' would have been very helpful to know, especially the impact of the Hollywood blacklisting of director John Cromwell from making this 'premature anti-fascist' 1940 feature. When was it ever correct not to be anti-fascist?

I recently showed an excellent 77 year old British print of this film to commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day. It was very well received and remarked about how relevant to the plight of stateless refugees in pre-war Europe and today. Last year HMD I showed a vintage print of the Boulting brothers' 1939 'Pastor Hall' whose release was delayed while Chamberlain negotiated peace terms with Herr Hitler.

Ian

Ian Partridge
Date registered 08.18.2015
home: Colchester, Essex. United Kingdom
ThankYou 16

#6 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

David Guest had a copy of this film for sale last year, and I was undecided as to whether to go for it, I saw a few clips on Youtube. Fredric March was a superb actor in 'Les Miserables', and I've seen one or two others.

Ian Partridge sais Thank You!
Robert Crewdson

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
R.I.P. Rikard Wolff

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor