RE: classic home cinema closing down

#28 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Don't get me wrong Mark, it hasn't always been plain sailing,

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 pm | Top

#29 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Don't get me wrong Mark, it hasn't always been plain sailing, I've had the wrong titles sent me,

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm | Top

#30 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Don't get me wrong Mark, it hasn't always been plain sailing, I've had the wrong titles sent me, I've had prints not as described on odd occasions.
I've even had a feature print that I suspected was too good to be true for the price that it was and indeed there did turn out to be one obvious reason as to why it was priced accordingly despite Phil telling me over the telephone that it wasn't priced at that price point because it contained a fault.

The thing is, for each of these hiccups they all were rectified to a satisfactory conclusion in the end.
Yes I ended up slightly out of pocket on odd occasions through return postal costs and maybe a teeny bit inconvenienced once or twice, but for all of the good I'd had from him at well below auction site prices and quite often well below private sale prices without any real risks involved,..well it is for those reasons why I turned a complete blind eye to one or two anomalies or even a very very occasional slight disappointment.

You sometimes have to weigh up the overall picture after many dealings to gain a fair and overall assessment for what any service provides us all and in that context I have been delighted overall with what I have received on all levels.

I have to say, there isn't one solitary dealer who I have ever dealt with that has provided perfect prints/ goods or descriptions of both on EVERY single occasion.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 pm | Top

#31 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Crikey, the mechanics of this forum are operating at a crazy level today!
First the post stays in the ether for around two minutes, circle, circle, circle,..then it finally uploads and when you look to see its posted ok, it's posted 5 times!

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:33 pm | Top

#32 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 pm

My take on it Andrew is this,it is now or can be an expensive hobby so some would say due to the high cost of certain prints a luxury item,Now I know the costs are totally from one scale to another but really a niche market,if Rolls Royce treated their customers the same way then what would happen? I don't think they would have as many.

I too have had the wrong film sent,not as described or not at all which is annoying but it happens,shouldn't but still goes on as it's so disappointing and all the hassle and waste of time etc etc,I drew the line when money was taken without my permission on a credit card though,I rang at that point because I didn't know it had happened until the film arrived,you would think after breaking the law Phil would have been a bit nicer but still No!! At that point I thought no more!!Mark

Mark Mander

#33 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Yes for sure Mark, it is because of supply and demand reasons that people do not always get treated in the manner and with the respect that customers really ought always to be treated.

A similar analogy here in Manchester can be levelled with both of our big football clubs. Both City and United are guilty of upsetting many a loyal supporter by dipping into their supporters accounts to pay in advance for matches that they may not necessarily be able to attend or indeed may not even wish to attend.
(Cup & European games).
This has long gone on with many of the larger clubs throughout Europe at least, and it is because of the fact that these clubs know that supporters will return come what may, that they both adopt these tactics and that they somehow get away with doing so without any real damage to the financial status of the establishment.

As you say, if Rolls Royce or even Sainsbury's were to treat their loyal customers in the same manner, there would of course be far greater detriment to doing so if this was happening on a regular or large scale basis.

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 pm | Top

#34 by Robert Crewdson ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm

i know some people have a genuine grievance with Classic Home Cinema, but for myself, I have been more than pleased with my purchases, and if there has been an issue, then Phil works with you to arrive at an amicable solution.

Robert Crewdson

#35 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 pm

An example of what I was referring to in point number 30 here, is that I can instantly think of one particular print that Phil sold to myself that fetched over £800 on ebay and seemingly wasn't even as good as the one sent to me from CHC.

Believe me, his price for this same film in totally unmarked condition and without any faults at all , was nothing like reflective of this fact.

If I think of examples like this when I have been rummaging around boxing an incorrect print back up to then return to Phil, then it all pales into insignificance for me I have to say.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 pm | Top

#36 by Tom Photiou , Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 pm

well, i guess we will all know tomorrow.
Just before Xmas we bought our 16mm copies of hannie caulder and bugles in the afternoon from him, got the two for 140.00.
If you've seen the reviews on here you will know what a good price this was.
I wonder if perhaps we.r guessing here, it may be that he no longer makes enough out of the hobby to warrant running a shop and the rip off business taxes that this creates. If he is going to work from home then perhaps it may continue for a while yet. second hand stuff must now be getting harder to get hold of and not big enough to warrant the shop.

Looking for Abba the movie Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

#37 by Vidar Olavesen , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Phil Sheard has denied this rumour and is NOT closing down ... Good news

The following members like this: Tom Photiou, Mats Abelli, Alan Rik and Del Phillipson
Alan Rik sais Thank You!

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#38 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm

So i wonder where the For Sale sign was rumoured from?

Either the shop DOES have a "for sale" sign up against it, or it DOESN'T????

Great new news either way Vidar thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 pm | Top

#39 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:20 pm

So i wonder where the For Sale sign was rumoured from?

Either the shop DOES have a "for sale" sign up against it, or it DOESN'T????

Great new news either way Vidar thanks!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 pm | Top

#40 by Dave Guest , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 pm

well that's good news for all you collectors on here at least now we have had it confirmed
by the way my shop is still open every day callers welcome but must ring or email first
films projectors spares etc
repairs to most makes and servicing
sorry no standard or super 8
16mm and 9.5 only

The following members like this: Mats Abelli and Tom Photiou

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#41 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 pm

Great news for the collectors of those two gauges David.

Has the large collection of Super 8mm features now been sold job lot then David?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 pm | Top

#42 by Dave Guest , Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 am

no still have them all on the back burner as to speak might take a few pictures of them and post on here when I get a minute

Mats Abelli likes this

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#43 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:14 am

Even better news David!

Andrew Woodcock

#44 by Maurice Leakey , Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Here is the good news.
I have spoken to Denise today who explains that the For Sale sign in the window refers to the Model Railway section. There is no intention to sell the film side of the business.
However, Phil is still unwell, so it is difficult to look into the future. But, at the moment, films will continue to be sold. All the film on the web-site are actually in the shop, and not in the off-site storage.

Mats Abelli likes this
Tom Photiou sais Thank You!
Maurice Leakey  
Maurice Leakey
Date registered 07.08.2017
home: Bristol, United Kingdom
ThankYou 221

Last edited 02.06.2018 | Top

#45 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Even when I visited Phil's older and smaller shop a good few years back now,all of his listed stock items were all kept in his shop across the two levels.

I think it's been a while now since they used external storage premises for any of their stock.

Martin Dew sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock

#46 by Mats Abelli , Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 am

They have lots of unchecked films in a storage at home. When I visited the summer sales in August 2015, Phil opened it up for sales and also held an auction, in the garden. It was a great evening with a Chinese buffet and film show. I will hopefully spend the first weekend in August in Cleethorpes this year as well. Would be nice to meet some forum friends then.

John Armer likes this

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#47 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

I often wonder why Phil picks the beginning of August as a time to have his open days.
July / August are the busiest two months for us Brits travelling abroad or even holidaying in this country and there must always be one or two who don't make it just because of this reason alone I'd have thought.

Yes Mats, films not yet listed may well be initially stored at Phil's home where his cinema is for viewing and checking through first. Once they make the list though,ready for sale, they are in the shop itself nowadays from what I've been informed and seen for myself.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm | Top

#48 by Mats Abelli , Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Phil use to have three sales a year. January, May and August. August is a nice time to visit Cleethorpes. I believe that Derann also had an August sale. Maybe to boost the sales, in a month most collectors don´t spend much time with their film collecting. As you write Andrew, the listed films are on the shelves in the shop.

Mats Abelli
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Nättraby, Sweden
ThankYou 112

#49 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 pm

The May one would have appealed to me the most if I was ever away from work on the date back then.

January can often prove hazardous getting there and back with our unpredictable weather extremes at times here and August would have always been a complete no no for such as myself.
I personally hate travelling any real distances by car from November through to March in this country. The roads are overcrowded, dismal and painstakingly slow to drive upon here during these months.
Life is simply too short to spend time cooked up in a motor vehicle for hours on end just because someone cannot control their vehicle properly in adverse weather.

I travelled in June last time I visited and at that time of the year the journey as a round trip for myself was just about palatable.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm | Top

#50 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 pm

The numbering system given to each film from any of the CHC lists refers to its shelf position in the shop btw.
It is very much what Denise relies upon to find the print when Phil is not about.

Obviously new stock, yet to be checked through, has no list or shelf number at this stage.

It can sometimes be a little annoying when you cannot easily remove these additional reference stickers placed on the film covers by CHC to what otherwise can sometimes be, perfectly original boxes and artwork.

It would be nice if Phil could transition to easy peel stickers for the future.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:54 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Survey - What kind of film treatment do you use

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor