Paul's sad news

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Really sad news posted over on the other channel courtesy of Paul Barker.
It didn't make it here sadly for whatever reason, but of course to anyone who has been around this hobby for even a number of years, it's highly unlikely that these two people will be completely unknown.

Here is what Paul sadly reported over on film tech earlier:-

- posted November 23, 2017 09:23 AM -
it is very sad indeed when a well known film collector and a film dealer pass away.Don Sykes from southport in the UK passed away last week. he was 85. Don was a keen film collector. showing films in his younger days when in the RAF.and doing projection at the blackpool film fair.his son did it this year.i knew him personaly. and like all that knew him, he will be greatly missed.also Steve Wellings passed away a short time ago. Steve worked at Derann for many years. dealing with 16mm mainly. after Derann closed he set up himself selling 16mm films.i know many on here will remember him well. especially those who used to attend Deranns open days in Dudley.

Having never collected 16mm film, I cannot recall ever seeing or having any dealings with Steve from Derann but Don I have dealt with on a number of occasions.
In fact my current primary lens for one of my projectors was purchased from Don just a few years back and whenever I have dealt with him, he was a real gentleman I have to say.

R.I.P. Steve and Don,.. God Bless

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Andrew Woodcock

RE: Paul's sad news

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Very sad post RIP both.

Out of curiosity is this the Steve Wellings that advertised in Projections magazine by any chance ?

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 271

#3 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm

I didn't know him, but it is very sad to hear about the loss of people being around in the industry and hobby of film for so many years. People at that age has a knowledge of the history and otherwise that is very hard, if not impossible, to replace. R.I.P.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 404

#4 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

R.I.P. fellow collectors. I bought a few 16mm from Wellings. Awaited his new list, but no list for the past three or four years. Very sad to lose any of the few left

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 344

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I would say that is highly likely Gwyn, though I don't know for sure without Paul's input. I think he wrote for that magazine didn't he?

I remember Steve's name from the team at Derann but nothing else other than that sadly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:59 pm | Top

#6 by Paul Barker , Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:06 pm

hi Gwyn. yes the very same .he did advertise in projections. he was always very honest in his descriptions. so very very sad.

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Paul Barker  
Paul Barker
Date registered 12.01.2015
ThankYou 45

#7 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Paul,
thank you,very sad.
I had some dealings a while back with him and as you so rightly at a very honest ,straight gentleman.
sadly missed.

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 271

#8 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 pm

I have to say, I really enjoyed dealing with ANY member of the Derann team. I found them all to be very very helpful and genuinely interested in the people who were interested in their products. Gary, Ged, Adrian and of course Derek on the 8mm side of things, all great to deal with.

Andrew Woodcock

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 am

Kevin's memories over on Film tech of Don and Steve resonate no doubt in the hearts of plenty this evening.
When i watch Pluto's Christmas Tree this year it will add an extra meaning based on just what I have read from our friend Kevin Clarke regarding Steve again.

David Guest has very kindly and respectfully posted information surrounding Don's funeral. If I can attend in the background then I will.

Our thoughts go out this evening to Don's family at this time. God Speed!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 am | Top

#10 by Dave Guest , Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:51 am

yes don passed away last Friday his funeral is next Thursday 30th nov at southport crematorium at ten past one he was a very good friend of mine and will be missed he was at my home 3 weeks ago picking up a film and having a cuppa of tea and a good chat then a couple of days later suffered a stroke ,steve welling was also a very good friend of mine which I new for over 20 years and visited him regular. he phoned me in January and offered me a mamouth list of 16mm films all top titles inc goldfinger and great escape as well as loads of top notch Disney cartoons .he told me he had only 3 months to live and told me not to tell anyone which I respected his wishes. I was pleased that he offered my his very large collection of films all which were in mint condition rip don and steve

David Alligan and Vidar Olavesen say Thank You!

Dave Guest
Date registered 09.28.2015
home: lancashire
ThankYou 69

#11 by David Ollerearnshaw , Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Bought some 16mm from Steve a few years ago. Nice gent.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#12 by Tom Photiou , Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Very sad news, i wasn't fortunate enough to meet Don although i know he was very well known within our hobby, Steve's death is also a shock, i didn't expect that at all.
We did meet Steve many years ago at Ealing, had a good chat and also it is Steve who sold us our 16mm copy of Cromwell, i will view this again next Thursday evening in memory of him.
At the same event Steve had a super 8 trailer of Winchester 73, it was marked up for something like £20 but when Steve opened the box and saw 30ft of film he just looked at us a laughed and said, i cant take 20 off you for that, call it £8.
Always helpful on the phones to us, (as were ALL Derann staff).
Condolences to both families and friends.

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 545

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
I too

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor