Don't it make you laugh?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 am

Don't it make you laugh when repeatedly the first comments you read from a new member joining a film forum goes along these lines.....
" Hello, I am new to the forum but I will try to explain my problem...."

Does anyone join forums in this day and age without first actually needing something from others, or without having an issue in the first instance on part of their kit ?

You know,..just for the fun of it or to discuss films and machinery and collecting in general etc etc?

That's probably just wishful thinking on my behalf no doubt.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:39 am | Top

RE: Don't it make you laugh?

#2 by Gwyn Morgan , Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:29 am

Well Andrew I guess we should be thankful that at least the person is at least “posting “ even if it’s only to try and sort a problem.
I was looking and there are a lot of members who never say a thing other than a post to say they have joined.I know this is an old issue but even looking at a couple of the names,I suppose they do exist...????
Perhaps as an admin you may feel inclined to give us a Christmas treat to the “best”aliases you have had trying to get on the site.
📽📽

Gwyn Morgan
Date registered 08.03.2015
home: Devon
ThankYou 273

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:39 am

We've had them all Gwyn from ivor Biggun to Farmworh Film Collector Convention or something of the likes.

It all amounts to the same end result,...deleting of the applicant.

I'm not particularly grateful to see only parasites joining forums to either sap the energies and knowledge from hard working and creative contributing members nor am I happy to see a member joining a forum just to use it as a market stall for all of their unwanted goods either, but I'm just an aging cynic nowadays having seen it all by now on our forums.

I can remember my days from being on film tech having one nut case mither the living daylights out of me regarding this make that make, this film that film and so on and so on.
Not being an ignorant person I felt compelled to answer each and every pm for months and months.
In the end getting ever more weary by the day regarding the same old indecision and continuous bombardment of questioning, I offered this guy my number so I could discuss things quicker and easier with him and in the hope I could sort all of his issues in one session with him.

There was no phone call and I never heard back from him ever again!!
Go figure??

As for the silent majority joining these places Gwyn, I simply don't get it,..ever, but then I wouldn't, would I?
Curtain twitchers is how I liken them to.

Now't queerer than folk!!

Remember, a forum is for life, not just for Christmas! ( or is that a dog? )

Gwyn Morgan likes this
Gwyn Morgan sais Thank You!
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am | Top

#4 by Tom Photiou , Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Have to say there Andy, i myself, (& i know i wont be the only one), have had PMs from people whoes names i have never heard of asking, can you by chance let me have a wiring diagram for this or do you have this part for a 1200, when i check the names on the forum, they havnt posted since they joined, or posted years ago, suffice to say, while i will help anyone, those who only join to get something for nought can go F*** themselves as far as im concerned.
Either contribute something or clear off,

Remember that guy with the bulbs?? I made a huge learning curve mistake of buying from him, His first post was to sell lots of cheap projector lamps, Osrams included,
They were old shit and if by chance he's looking in and reading this, your a C**** & your bulbs are all in the bin, i hope he's been removed from here.
Thats how angry he made me, and to think i made an error with a cheque and promptly put it right, i wish i just sent his shit back. That sale was the only posting he did and nothing since.
New members asking for advice who continue to support the forum with a contribution or two, (doesn't have to be every day) have all my support, but the above types are a waste of space & should clear off.

If you are simply joining in to read and learn or for references thats fine but dont expect free help if you dont want to join in with something useful in return.

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Martin Dew likes this

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.23.2017 | Top

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:48 pm

I am in 100% agreement with you there Tom, on each and every point!

I bet your cheque never finished up in the bin though Tom!

i purchased a few also Tom and so far haven't needed to fit any, but I am not expecting any miracles when the time arrives.

It's one thing to be attempted to be had as a fool over a few bulbs but completely another when some shiester thinks it's fair play to try and sell you a Derann feature for very very close to the standard price of such an item, but then it turns out to be ruined throughout, as I have experienced.
Like you say Tom, it only happens the once with people like us here and in this particularly case, the deal ended with great expense to the seller of such goods by the finish!

Honesty is the only way in life at the end of day. For any other approach to life, you simply get found out very very quickly I have found, and most people aren't fools on the receiving end of such games played!

Tom Photiou likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:12 pm | Top

#6 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Well you certainly got shafted there Tom and was unlucky doing a deal,I've had my pants down a few times even quite recently by well known members which you just don't expect so I find that worse than buying off someone you don't really know,makes you a bit bitter I have to say, Mark

Tom Photiou likes this
Mark Mander

#7 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Just give it them back Mark. Name and shame always works if there any hassles from doing so.

Andrew Woodcock

#8 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:00 pm

I couldn't name and shame Andrew but I won't deal with them again, it's basically not checking films and seeing pound signs and it's that that bugs me,your then left very disappointed and then the hassle of sending back,No thanks!!! Mark

Mark Mander

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Oh I could Mark, very very easily in such circumstances!!

I wouldn't bat an eyelid if I thought I'd been bit!
It wouldn't bother me one iota.

It might then, just make them think twice before attempting further exploitation in the future.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:07 pm | Top

#10 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:20 pm

In this instance you wouldn't Andrew,if I was to mention names then uproar would occur and I'd be the bad guy even though I was the one that lost out, I was very tempted to put something up but decided not to for this reason,let them carry on selling shit to someone else even though I've spent a fortune over the years with them,Mark

Mark Mander

#11 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Btw,stung more than once as one time is too many but I was well and truly shafted,Mark

Mark Mander

#12 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm

I simply wouldn't put up with it Mark, I am surprised to be honest to hear you've let it go no matter who you refer to.

Nobody is bigger than their customer base, no matter who they are or what they sell.

All expensive prints in particular should be thoroughly checked and verified prior to dispatch, all noticeable defects should be reported to the buyer beforehand,no excuses.
For shorter ones these take less than 30 minutes to check over. What's the excuse if you are prepared to offer something for sale?

How can anyone reliably describe something they have never seen in it's entirety?

Why would anyone ever buy anything that has not been checked even by the sellers own admission?
There is no price cheap enough to make this proposition look attractive to my way of thinking.

If it ain't verified, don't buy it, it's as simple as that.
If you accept goods as non verified you won't ever really have any sort of come back once you find yourself sorely dissatisfied.

My own disappointment came about only as result of the screen shots and description being nothing like representative of the actual goods sent to me.
It wasn't even a case of stretching the truth a little.
It was blatant deception beyond what you'd ordinarily believe possible.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:14 pm | Top

#13 by Mark Mander ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:34 pm

No more surprised than me Andrew,Mark

Mark Mander

#14 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 pm

My first post in a film forum was asking for advice for purchasing a projector. Vidar replied, and here I am a few years later. I don't find it very unusual at all. Unless you have been in the hobby for a long time, how could you start off providing much interesting info to others? That goes for any hobby or club. How often will people join a club or organization starting off with providing things for others? There will always be the long time members that do the heavy lifting. It has been like this in all organizations I have ever been in. The exception would be experienced people having been active other places and then moved over. For the little I know I would be glad to answer any question from a new member.

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Vidar Olavesen sais Thank You!

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#15 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 pm

There is a huge difference in these examples though Eivind.
You were a beginner in the hobby that then wanted to continue participating with other enthusiasts to learn about your new hobby.
You then shared your experiences as you went along in the hobby.

Those aren't the type of people I was referring to here. I was referring to people for example who join here just to offer a job lot of light bulbs they bought dirt cheap from some shop closure or car boot sale etc etc, only to try to pass them on at almost full brand new retail value.

Or what about seasoned enthusiasts who join here only to sell a batch of lenses they wrangled from some old establishment from a bygone era, never to darken our doorstep ever again.

What about the seasoned enthusiasts we know of who join here only never to return and even at the point of first joining, already announce they won't be visiting here as they are heavily engaged with other similar forums.

Need I go on?

We all know who these characters are, the only mystery in some cases is trying to fathom what on earth some of these people ever bothered joining our forum for in the first instance.

Of course people entirely fresh to the hobby are nurtured and assisted with all the help and advice anyone could ask for. That is only as it should be,..but for the genuine ones they show their appreciation by saying so and participating with other members here a little from time to time.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:26 pm | Top

#16 by Eivind Mork , Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 pm

I didn''t interpret your first post as regarding such people trying to sell bad stuff the first thing they do? You started with describing people introducing themselves as "

Zitat
" Hello, I am new to the forum but I will try to explain my problem...."

Does anyone join forums in this day and age without first actually needing something from others, or without having an issue in the first instance on part of their kit ?

So that't what I commented. People starting off selling bad bulbs is off course an very different thing, and I don't disagree with you there.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#17 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Your dead right Eivind, the beginning of the post was nothing like what was being discussed by the end of it and for the newcomer over on FT, I sincerely hope he goes on to become their equivalent on Film Tech as for instance what I described of yourself here.

The thing is, it is increasingly the case that people dart in on forums just to gain something they're after, and then just as quickly again, hide forever under a rock from then onwards.

Of course Forums and the likes can be used in this manner, but our film forums are not really like many others. They become a collective of a small minority of enthusiasts who you hope, develop a team spirit among them to be able to discuss any aspect of the hobby and help one another out at any appropriate time of need.

When I see repeated actions like the ones I describe, including collectors dipping their toes in the water to gain what they are after and leaving at top speed thereafter, I just find myself becoming very disheartened.

I am sorry but this is just how it makes you feel at times.

I have had conversations with very well respected technical forum members who also feel used at times and do not like this whole cheeky approach of individuals thinking it is ok to demand help, answers and explanations to their problems and dilemmas in a very abrupt manner, yet without any shame, they show in their own actions and attitudes that they are never ever prepared to show any humility or give anything back.
I think we all know who these kind of people are in our small community these days. Let's not add any more to the list or encourage such actions is my own outlook on this!
That's all.

It's not about people selling bad stuff or even good stuff per se, if that was the interpretation of what was said then I apologize as the point has been lost.
It is simply about ethics and morality and bare faced hard nosed cheek at times.

Mats Abelli likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 am | Top

#18 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks Mats, at least one person understands my perspective on this!

Said from the heart this evening, it means a lot pal thank you!

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 am | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
For INFORMATION Ebay Seller

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor