Does Geography Play its Part In What We May Collect?

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:05 pm

I read a comment of David's over on film tech this morning and it got me pondering on just how much actual location and Geography plays its own part on what we feel we may be able to collect.

This of course reflects our ability on a number of levels as I understand it.
The first and most obvious is of course that if you live in a country close to source of original distribution of film products, you'd think you may stand a far greater opportunity of finding many more of the prints that were first distributed there.

From this, I'd expect people living in places like the UK, USA, Spain, Italy & Germany or Austria would fair particularly better traditionally, especially prior to the www, than say those living in such places like South Africa or Indonesia for example.

However the comment of David's that particularly raised my eyebrow, was that he hinted that living in Yorkshire generally meant that he had a greater reluctance to part with the necessary amount of money at times to satisfy his needs to fund the hobby to its full for himself.

Does anyone else feel that their place of origin or roots brings about a different psychological trait on their ability to be naturally frivolous or perhaps more frugal than those living elsewhere?

Does the whole decision making psychology on spending money on non essential items lie much deeper than just mere differences in personalities and differences in perceived priorities for example, from one person to another?

It's something previously I'd not thought made any difference at all, but maybe it does?
No doubt the replies will help understand to a greater degree whether someone say living in London has any kind of advantage and is more likely to spend big over someone living in Yorkshire for example.

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm | Top

RE: Does Geography Play its Part In What We May Collect?

#2 by Vidar Olavesen , Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Not sure, but fairly certain you UK guys had more access than us Norwegians, probably Swedes and Danes too. You had Derann Close by, and in addition many more. Red Fox, not sure, is it US company or UK too?

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#3 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Pennsylvania for Red Fox Vidar.

This of course addresses the obvious geographical advantages as raised in point one above, but I was more curious to hear of colloquial spending behaviours purely as a result just from influences surrounding your area of origin etc etc.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm | Top

#4 by David Ollerearnshaw , Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

“Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eyt all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt -
Allus do it fer thissen”

One thing I notice how the UK super 8 releases were very different to say German releases.

When I first started collecting a feature was about a weeks wage.

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Which I think roughly translated means...

"Hear all, see all, say nothing,
Eat all, drink all, pay nothing,
And if ever one ever does something for nothing,
Always do it for oneself! "😂😂

Not sure how this influences entirely what was being spoken about David. 😂😂

That same feature would have been similarly expensive for someone living elsewhere I presume David, wouldn't it?

Interesting your point on the German vs UK releases, but again, what did you feel were those differences?

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm | Top

#6 by Tom Photiou , Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:29 am

Quite a bit really i think,
In this country driving somewhwre for an hour constitutes a problem wheras in the states an afternoon drive can be 4 hours away. My point is this, if we lived in London or the midlands in the 80s i gaurantee we would have a shed load more films than we do now because id be makin regular visits to the shops.
Ive always been surprised at how big the states is yet there demise of super 8 dealers and distributors was so fast.
Having visited "up country" i have to say i wouldnt swop the south west for thevworld, at least down here it still feels like im living in my own country and the internet these days is of course a main source for collectors.
I do wish chc and dave guest wernt so far away.
Any collector living within 50 miles of either of these two dealers must be in cine heaven. Id be visiting every month.

Looking for Home alone trailer and Abba Scope trailer

Tom Photiou
Date registered 08.14.2015
home: Plymouth. UK
ThankYou 548

Last edited 11.10.2017 | Top

#7 by David Ollerearnshaw , Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:49 am

Wonder if Red Fox phone number was 6-5000. A few differences it the range of of films they seemed to be more Kung Fu films and sex type films

I still love the smell of film in the morning

David Ollerearnshaw
Date registered 08.13.2015
home: Sheffield UK
ThankYou 61

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
BLACKPOOL 19TH NOV NORTHWESt FILM Fair

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 0
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor