The Snowman

#1 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:25 am

I went to the cinema this evening with my family and the youngest's girlfriend. Young en's GF works in a multiplex in Carlisle so it turned out handy to get free admission for all 4 of us and then on top 40 % discount for all food and drink while in there.

The Snowman is a film for all our Scandinavian members here ordinarily as it is mainly filmed in the capital city of Norway, Oslo. It contains beautiful scenery throughout and is quite a gripping movie once you get beyond the first 30 minutes of laborious and at first, completely random, "setting the scene" duties.

It is a psychological thriller with plenty of gore and zeal and leaves you completely unaware of the final outcome until the very end as any decent thriller should.
It is also a Working Title movie (my favourites) so it contains plenty of realistic gore and as ever, a great British cast!

It is about as far removed from the original mini feature by the same title featuring Aled Jones as any movie could be, but I have to say to all of those digital doubters of this world, it is no wonder real film doesn't exist any longer in the commercial cinema arena. The 4K picture was truly outstanding on the 30ft wide screen, the soundtrack immersing and amazing aside from the Norwegian attempts to replicate decent dance music LOL, just fantastic!
35mm, you never came even close!

A thoroughly enjoyable family nights entertainment in the city and as a one watch, I'd recommend this movie to anyone.

It got slaughtered by the critics, but just like "Jigsaw" of this time, you either WANT to like movies like this, or you don't!
The choice is yours, and as with anything in life, give it a fair chance.
It ain't the exorcist,.. that's the good news!

"C'Mon Baggy, Get With The Beat"

The following members like this: Del Phillipson, Eivind Mork and Gwyn Morgan
Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 pm | Top

RE: The Snowman

#2 by Philip Murat , Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am

Hello Folks,

I am still looking for "Snowman" from Derann (Mono or Stereo) ......

Thanks in advance

Vidar Olavesen likes this
Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

#3 by Vidar Olavesen , Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

That is a better Snowman and a better format Phil

Vidar Olavesen
Date registered 08.02.2015
home: Sarpsborg, Norway
ThankYou 348

#4 by Eivind Mork , Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 pm

The last 10 years I have with only few exceptions only watched children's movies at the cinema. I guess I should get to see this, though, if not for any other reason, it is indeed filmed in Oslo. I don't know about the locations, but it will be fun to see.

Eivind Mork
Date registered 10.12.2015
home: Oslo, Norway
ThankYou 405

#5 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 pm

Bergen features heavily in it Eivind. It is a very "watchable" movie. The wifes choice as she really likes films like "saw" and "Hostel" etc.

I suppose I best watch out!

Andrew Woodcock

#6 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 pm

#2, If I ever see one advertised for sale Phil, you will be the first to know about it Phil!

As ever, it is a really beautiful print and one I haven't posted about on here yet so I will post just a few images of it this Christmastime when I will give it another airing along with a newly acquired lovely little print of Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer.

I have the 200ft Walking In The Air 11 minute or so edition also, but mine is printed fairly dark and needs a fairly bright lamp behind it to give it the impact it deserves.
The 600ft full length version I have was printed perfectly.

Andrew Woodcock
Last edited Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm | Top

#7 by Nigel Higgins , Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 pm

hi,phil
i think you should try blackpool as last year i found 2 copys of the snowman one at ealing and one at blackpool so who knows what will turn up .go if you can if not will look out for it for you .

Martin Dew likes this

Nigel Higgins
Date registered 12.06.2015
home: haverhill
ThankYou 14

#8 by Stuart Reid , Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Relatively easily available on 16mm Phil, if you're happy to have a non-vocal version of Walking In The Air. Not sure why the US Weston Woods copies are all instrumentals? Bloody lovely quality if you can find one though, I've had 3 pass through my hands so they're definitely out there.

Martin Dew likes this

Stuart Reid
Date registered 03.07.2016
ThankYou 37

#9 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 pm

The Super 8mm print is as Stuart says a wonderful print for quality.

Andrew Woodcock

#10 by Philip Murat , Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 am

Many Thanks for your answers !!

16mm is an interesting alternative solution, however, Super 8 from Derann is LPP guarantee.
Stuart, Andrew, what I understand, there are different sound track versions (Instrumental and voices), correct ?
I assume Derann"s one is the initial version.

Nigel, At this time I haven't opportunity to go to Blackpool Fair. In case you see "Snowman" for a reasonnable price, nice condition, this is great.

Let me know

NB:
(In case it comes to me in the meantime, I 'll post here "Snowman" found......)

Philip Murat  
Philip Murat
Date registered 09.08.2017
ThankYou 44

Last edited 10.24.2017 | Top

#11 by Andrew Woodcock ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:08 am

Derann's is the original version with narration Phil.

No David Bowie, no instrumental intro until Raymond Briggs finishes speaking.

Andrew Woodcock

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
A mention of appreciation to Dominique De Bast!

disconnected Reel-Chat Members online 1
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor